dhruva writes: > Having tried a bunch of SCM, I must say GIT way of supporting multiple > branches under the same folder along with its speed it a sure winner. > I was opposing GIT due to its non-availability on M$, it is history > now and the port they have is really good. The build is streamlined on > M$ too, I pull their changes regularly, build, install and use the > bleeding edge. It has not failed me so far. > > If Mercurial had the ability to truly support multiple branches in > the same folder (with out requiring me to merge all branches before I > can pull - pull works only if there is a single tip/branch), I would > have preferred it mainly because it just needs PYTHON and nothing else > (GIT needs PERL and SHELL). I think you are confusing several 'heads' with several 'branches' here. And even if you have several heads in your Mercurial repository, you can certainly still pull in new changesets. > Speed wise, I find both GIT and Mercurial very close to each other. > GIT may be faster but not noticeable to human perceptions (well on > emacs repository I have tried). Here, I give GIT a thumbs up because > it has data for all branches and still the fastest. If mercurial > decides to support multiple branches under the same folder, I wonder > what impact it might have on the speed. Have you searched on the Mercurial Wiki? You have both 'local branches' and 'named branches' to choose from: http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/LocalbranchExtension http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/NamedBranches -- Martin Geisler VIFF (Virtual Ideal Functionality Framework) brings easy and efficient SMPC (Secure Multi-Party Computation) to Python. See: http://viff.dk/.