all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* zeroconf.el
@ 2008-04-07 19:08 Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2008-04-07 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

I've written a small package zeroconf.el, which offers an interface to
service discovery as specified by zeroconf[1,2]. The communication to
the Avahi daemon[3], the zeroconf implementation for GNU/Linux (and
other systems), is based on D-Bus signals.

As demonstration of this feature, I've written few lines of example
code, which updates dynamically the "Postscript Printer" menu as local
or network printers appear or disappear. This code could go into
ps-samp.el.

Another feature of zeroconf.el is publishing of own service. But I would
regard as an inferior feature.

Any objections to install this in the trunk?

Best regards, Michael.

[1] http://www.zeroconf.org/
[2] http://www.dns-sd.org/
[3] http://www.avahi.org/

* Re: zeroconf.el
@ 2008-04-07 19:38 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-04-07 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I've written a small package zeroconf.el, which offers an interface to
> service discovery as specified by zeroconf[1,2].  The communication to
> the Avahi daemon[3], the zeroconf implementation for GNU/Linux (and
> other systems), is based on D-Bus signals.

> As demonstration of this feature, I've written few lines of example
> code, which updates dynamically the "Postscript Printer" menu as local
> or network printers appear or disappear. This code could go into
> ps-samp.el.

Sounds good.  Do we know that this list of "printers available on the
network" has any relationship to the list of printers that `lpr' (or
`lp') will accept?

> Another feature of zeroconf.el is publishing of own service. But I would
> regard as an inferior feature.

> Any objections to install this in the trunk?

Feel free to install it under lisp/net/

* Re: zeroconf.el
@ 2008-04-07 20:54   ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2008-04-07 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> As demonstration of this feature, I've written few lines of example
>> code, which updates dynamically the "Postscript Printer" menu as local
>> or network printers appear or disappear. This code could go into
>> ps-samp.el.
>
> Sounds good.  Do we know that this list of "printers available on the
> network" has any relationship to the list of printers that `lpr' (or
> `lp') will accept?

For local printers, I configure "lpr -Pqueue", with queue taken from the
txt fields zeroconf reports. Network printers are configured as
"cupsdoprint -H address:port", address and port also provided by
zeroconf. It works with all dozen printers detected @work; I was
surprised to see them - I even didn't know some of them before.

Of course, it is just sample code, and I'm not a CUPS expert. I hope
people could improve it.

>> Any objections to install this in the trunk?
>
> Feel free to install it under lisp/net/

OK, tomorrow, tonight is too late for me. My average day starts at 6am
(you know, I am in Germany).

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: zeroconf.el