all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* save file hide-region state
@ 2008-07-25 13:59 Joe Bloggs
       [not found] ` <mailman.15408.1217000787.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joe Bloggs @ 2008-07-25 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I often use hide-region-hide when coding to hide bits of code that I
am not interested in.
Does anyone know if there is anyway to save the state of hidden regions
so that when I revisit a file, the hidden regions are still hidden?
Thanks

* Re: save file hide-region state
@ 2008-07-25 15:46 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.15408.1217000787.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-07-25 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Bloggs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 25.07.2008 um 15:59 schrieb Joe Bloggs:

> Does anyone know if there is anyway to save the state of hidden
> regions
> so that when I revisit a file, the hidden regions are still hidden?

Could be session.el does what you want.

--
Greetings

   Pete

When you meet a master swordsman,
show him your sword.
When you meet a man who is not a poet,
do not show him your poem.
		– Rinzai, ninth century Zen master

@ 2008-07-26  3:02   ` Joe Bloggs
From: Joe Bloggs @ 2008-07-26  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 25.07.2008 um 15:59 schrieb Joe Bloggs:
>
>> Does anyone know if there is anyway to save the state of hidden
>> regions
>> so that when I revisit a file, the hidden regions are still hidden?
>
> Could be session.el does what you want.
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>   Pete
>
> When you meet a master swordsman,
> show him your sword.
> When you meet a man who is not a poet,
> do not show him your poem.
> 		– Rinzai, ninth century Zen master

Thanks, that's a useful package. However I can't get it to work with hide-region-hide
I added the hide-region-overlays variable from hide-region to the session-globals-include
variable in session, but no joy. I have set the Max size to 20, and tried with both
possible states for Alist. Anyone?

* Re: save file hide-region state
@ 2008-07-26 12:48     ` Joe Bloggs
From: Joe Bloggs @ 2008-07-26 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Joe Bloggs <who@cares.invalid> writes:

> Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> writes:
>
>> Am 25.07.2008 um 15:59 schrieb Joe Bloggs:
>>
>>> Does anyone know if there is anyway to save the state of hidden
>>> regions
>>> so that when I revisit a file, the hidden regions are still hidden?
>>
>> Could be session.el does what you want.
>>
>> --
>> Greetings
>>
>>   Pete
>>
>> When you meet a master swordsman,
>> show him your sword.
>> When you meet a man who is not a poet,
>> do not show him your poem.
>> 		– Rinzai, ninth century Zen master
>
> Thanks, that's a useful package. However I can't get it to work with hide-region-hide
> I added the hide-region-overlays variable from hide-region to the session-globals-include
> variable in session, but no joy. I have set the Max size to 20, and tried with both
> possible states for Alist. Anyone?

After further investigation I have come to realize that making this work would involve
adding new functionality to session.el. It would require a variable to save the hide regions
 between sessions, and a function to add to find-file-hook to hide the saved hide regions when
a buffer is opened.