all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* 'gzip -d' instead of 'gunzip'
@ 2008-10-23 11:02 Leo
From: Leo @ 2008-10-23 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi there,

How to tell emacs to use 'gzip -d' instead of 'gunzip' whenever
un-compressing in dired etc.? Thank you.

Best,
--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  :.

        Use the better alternative -- http://www.openoffice.org/

* Re: 'gzip -d' instead of 'gunzip'
       [not found] <mailman.1894.1224759751.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-10-23 17:39 ` Xah
From: Xah @ 2008-10-23 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 23, 4:02 am, Leo <sdl....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> How to tell emacs to use 'gzip -d' instead of 'gunzip' whenever
> un-compressing in dired etc.? Thank you.

i'm not sure there's a user-level way. I've been wanting to make it to
use ditto (which creates zip) on OSX. I suppose on the Windows
platform, people may want to make it zip.

btw, i thought “gzip -d” and “gunzip” makes no difference in their
result?

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 13+ messages in thread

@ 2008-10-23 18:28 ` Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2008-10-23 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Leo wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> How to tell emacs to use 'gzip -d' instead of 'gunzip' whenever
> un-compressing in dired etc.? Thank you.
>
> Best,

(customize-option (quote jka-compr-compression-info-list))

In my emacs it does use 'gzip -d'.

-ap

* Re: 'gzip -d' instead of 'gunzip'
@ 2008-10-23 19:24   ` Chris McMahan
From: Chris McMahan @ 2008-10-23 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Politz <politza@fh-trier.de> writes:

> Leo wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> How to tell emacs to use 'gzip -d' instead of 'gunzip' whenever
>> un-compressing in dired etc.? Thank you.
>>
>> Best,
>
> (customize-option (quote jka-compr-compression-info-list))
>
> In my emacs it does use 'gzip -d'.
>
> -ap

Thanks!

On a similar topic, is there a way to force quotes around the filename?
My emacs always chokes on compressed files with spaces in their names.

- Chris

--
     (.   .)
  =ooO=(_)=Ooo=====================================

* Re: 'gzip -d' instead of 'gunzip'
@ 2008-10-23 22:25     ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2008-10-23 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Chris McMahan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Chris McMahan <cmcmahan@one.net> wrote:

> On a similar topic, is there a way to force quotes around the filename?
> My emacs always chokes on compressed files with spaces in their names.

That sounds like a bug...

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

* Re: 'gzip -d' instead of 'gunzip'
@ 2008-10-23 23:18   ` Lave
From: Lave @ 2008-10-23 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Andreas Politz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Ask too.

On 10/24/08, Andreas Politz <politza@fh-trier.de> wrote:
> Leo wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> How to tell emacs to use 'gzip -d' instead of 'gunzip' whenever
>> un-compressing in dired etc.? Thank you.
>>
>> Best,
>
> (customize-option (quote jka-compr-compression-info-list))

I add this following into my .emacs, but it doesn't work.
(setq jka-compr-compression-info-list
      (cons
       '["\\.rar\\(~\\|\\.~[0-9]+~\\)?\\'" nil nil nil
	 "unraring" "unrar" ("x") nil t "Rar!"]
       jka-compr-compression-info-list))

> In my emacs it does use 'gzip -d'.
>
> -ap

Please help.

--
Regards,
Lave

* Re: 'gzip -d' instead of 'gunzip'
@ 2008-10-24 10:26     ` Andreas Politz
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1997.1224848218.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Andreas Politz @ 2008-10-24 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Chris McMahan wrote:
> Andreas Politz <politza@fh-trier.de> writes:
>
>> Leo wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> How to tell emacs to use 'gzip -d' instead of 'gunzip' whenever
>>> un-compressing in dired etc.? Thank you.
>>>
>>> Best,
>> (customize-option (quote jka-compr-compression-info-list))
>>
>> In my emacs it does use 'gzip -d'.
>>
>> -ap
>
> Thanks!
>
> On a similar topic, is there a way to force quotes around the filename?
> My emacs always chokes on compressed files with spaces in their names.
>
> - Chris

I think I was wrong. Compression in this case seems to be controlled by the variable
`dired-compress-file-suffixes'. This topic is confusing me.

-ap

* Re: 'gzip -d' instead of 'gunzip'
@ 2008-10-24 11:36       ` Lave
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1997.1224848218.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lave @ 2008-10-24 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Andreas Politz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I used dired-compress-file-suffixes before. But this variable is
created after once compressing or uncompressing. If I add it in
.emacs, it will get an error when start emacs.

How can I do except add it into dired-aux.el as I did before?

Could anyone help?

--
Regards,
Lave

* Re: 'gzip -d' instead of 'gunzip'
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1997.1224848218.25473.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-10-24 19:10         ` Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2008-10-24 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lave wrote:

> On 10/24/08, Andreas Politz <politza@fh-trier.de> wrote:
>> Chris McMahan wrote:

>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> On a similar topic, is there a way to force quotes around the filename?
>>> My emacs always chokes on compressed files with spaces in their names.
>>>
>>> - Chris
>>>
>> I think I was wrong. Compression in this case seems to be controlled by the
>> variable
>> `dired-compress-file-suffixes'. This topic is confusing me.
>>
>> -ap
>>

 > I used dired-compress-file-suffixes before. But this variable is
 > created after once compressing or uncompressing. If I add it in
 > .emacs, it will get an error when start emacs.
 >
 > How can I do except add it into dired-aux.el as I did before?
 >
 > Could anyone help?

I think you should either

(require 'dired-aux)

before you access the variable (maybe in a dired-mode-hook)
or you

(eval-after-load "dired-aux" ... )

-ap

* Re: 'gzip -d' instead of 'gunzip'
@ 2008-10-25  3:29           ` Lave
From: Lave @ 2008-10-25  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Andreas Politz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

It doesn't work too.

The problem is: when dired-aux.el is loaded,
dired-compress-file-suffixes has not exist yet. I ever added the
unrar-stuff into that file. But isn't there a clearer solution ?

And, dired-compress-file-suffixes can't contain args. I have to create
another script storing 'unrar x'.

I want to find a alternative solution.

--
Regards,
Lave

* Re: 'gzip -d' instead of 'gunzip'
@ 2008-10-26 10:30           ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2008-10-26 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 21:10:52 +0200, Andreas Politz <politza@fh-trier.de> wrote:
>Lave wrote:
>> I used dired-compress-file-suffixes before. But this variable is
>> created after once compressing or uncompressing. If I add it in
>> .emacs, it will get an error when start emacs.
>>
>> How can I do except add it into dired-aux.el as I did before?
>>
>> Could anyone help?
>
> I think you should either
>
> (require 'dired-aux)
>
> before you access the variable (maybe in a dired-mode-hook)
> or you
>
> (eval-after-load "dired-aux" ... )

Yep.  The `eval-after-load' option is slightly nicer if you are in the
habit of spawning several Emacs instances (like me), because it does not
delay the startup of *all* Emacs runs to load something that you may not
use for some time :)

* Re: 'gzip -d' instead of 'gunzip'
@ 2008-10-30  8:45             ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2008-10-30  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2008-10-25 04:29 +0100, Lave wrote:
> It doesn't work too.
>
> The problem is: when dired-aux.el is loaded,
> dired-compress-file-suffixes has not exist yet. I ever added the
> unrar-stuff into that file. But isn't there a clearer solution ?
>
> And, dired-compress-file-suffixes can't contain args. I have to create
> another script storing 'unrar x'.
>
> I want to find a alternative solution.

I would also like to know the solution. Thanks.

--

@ 2008-10-30  8:47   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2008-10-30  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2008-10-23 19:28 +0100, Andreas Politz wrote:
> (customize-option (quote jka-compr-compression-info-list))
>
> In my emacs it does use 'gzip -d'.

It looks like jka-compr-compression-info-list is not used when 'Z' or
'!' on a tar.gz file. Another variable is used instead, which is
`dired-compress-file-suffixes'. But unfortunately no arguments can be
passed.

Cheers,