all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* keystroke command
@ 2009-01-14 12:46 moueza
From: moueza @ 2009-01-14 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

hi,
I ve seen, to konw a command associated to a keystroke-sequence, we must do
ESC ?k
But it's undefined on my emacs:  "M-% is undefined"
So what is the M-x minibuffer equivalent command for ESC ?k  ?

* Re: keystroke command
@ 2009-01-14 13:02 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-01-14 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

moueza <mouezapeter@gmail.com> writes:

Hi,

> I ve seen, to konw a command associated to a keystroke-sequence, we
> must do ESC ?k

No, it's `C-h k'.

> So what is the M-x minibuffer equivalent command for ESC ?k ?

You mean the command which is called by `C-h k'?

,----[ C-h k C-h k ]
| C-h k runs the command describe-key, which is an interactive compiled Lisp
| function in `help.el'.
|
| It is bound to C-h k, <f1> k, <help> k, <menu-bar> <help-menu> <describe>
| <describe-key-1>.
|
| (describe-key &optional key untranslated up-event)
|
| Display documentation of the function invoked by key.
| key can be any kind of a key sequence; it can include keyboard events,
| mouse events, and/or menu events.  When calling from a program,
| pass key as a string or a vector.
|
| If non-nil, untranslated is a vector of the corresponding untranslated events.
| It can also be a number, in which case the untranslated events from
| the last key sequence entered are used.
| up-event is the up-event that was discarded by reading key, or nil.
|
| If key is a menu item or a tool-bar button that is disabled, this command
| temporarily enables it to allow getting help on disabled items and buttons.
`----

Bye,
Tassilo
--
          "Emacs is not a development tool but a way of life."
                - David Kastrup in alt.religion.emacs -