all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Annotating Info Pages?
@ 2009-04-22 17:53 Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2009-04-22 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs

Hello Everyone,

I understand that there's a way to bookmark an info file so that I can
easily reference things that interest me later on.  Is there also a
way to annotate info files such that I add my own little notes along
the way in a browsable or at least visible fashion from within the
Info file?

Thanks in advance!

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

http://burningones.com/
http://five.sentenc.es/ - Spend less time on e-mail

* Re: Annotating Info Pages?
@ 2009-04-22 18:18 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.5843.1240452419.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-04-22 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 13:53:31 -0400
> From: Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com>
>
> Is there also a way to annotate info files such that I add my own
> little notes along the way in a browsable or at least visible
> fashion from within the Info file?

You can edit the Info file if you type `e' in the Info reader.  Then
you can add to the file whatever text you want, and save it.

* Re: Annotating Info Pages?
@ 2009-04-22 18:42   ` thierry.volpiatto
From: thierry.volpiatto @ 2009-04-22 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

If you don't want to modify the info page, have a look at ipa.el.

--
A + Thierry Volpiatto
Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France

* Re: Annotating Info Pages?
@ 2009-04-22 20:25 Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2009-04-22 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Visher; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   Hello Everyone,

   I understand that there's a way to bookmark an info file so that I can
   easily reference things that interest me later on.  Is there also a
   way to annotate info files such that I add my own little notes along
   the way in a browsable or at least visible fashion from within the
   Info file?

I recommend ipa.el (see emacswiki.org for details).

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

* Re: Annotating Info Pages?
@ 2009-04-22 21:23 ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2009-04-22 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Maillard; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 4:25 PM, Xavier Maillard <xma@gnu.org> wrote:

>   Hello Everyone,
>
>   I understand that there's a way to bookmark an info file so that I can
>   easily reference things that interest me later on.  Is there also a
>   way to annotate info files such that I add my own little notes along
>   the way in a browsable or at least visible fashion from within the
>   Info file?
>
> I recommend ipa.el (see emacswiki.org for details).

Thanks so much Xavier (and Thierry).  That looks like exactly what I
want.  And it works outside of Info too!

--

@ 2009-04-23  2:06 ` Sean Sieger
       [not found] ` <mailman.5843.1240452419.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sean Sieger @ 2009-04-23  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> writes:

    Hello Everyone,

    I understand that there's a way to bookmark an info file so that I can
    easily reference things that interest me later on.  Is there also a
    way to annotate info files such that I add my own little notes along
    the way in a browsable or at least visible fashion from within the
    Info file?

    Thanks in advance!

While doing `e' in an *info* buffer and installing ipa.el are something
to look into, Bookmarks is part of Emacs and does a simple job in a
single separate .emacs.bmk file, or as many .bmk files as you'd like to
have.  Bookmarks may also be annotated.

I'm interested in why ipa.el is preferable to Bookmarks.

* Re: Annotating Info Pages?
@ 2009-04-23  6:25 Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2009-04-23  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Visher; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 4:25 PM, Xavier Maillard <xma@gnu.org> wrote:

   >   Hello Everyone,
   >
   >   I understand that there's a way to bookmark an info file so that I can
   >   easily reference things that interest me later on.  Is there also a
   >   way to annotate info files such that I add my own little notes along
   >   the way in a browsable or at least visible fashion from within the
   >   Info file?
   >
   > I recommend ipa.el (see emacswiki.org for details).

   Thanks so much Xavier (and Thierry).  That looks like exactly what I
   want.  And it works outside of Info too!

If you have any questions or feature request, I would be very
happy to discuss/to implement them.

Regards,

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

* Re: Annotating Info Pages?
@ 2009-04-23 11:38   ` Tim Visher
From: Tim Visher @ 2009-04-23 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Sieger; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:06 PM, Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> writes:
>
>    Hello Everyone,
>
>    I understand that there's a way to bookmark an info file so that I can
>    easily reference things that interest me later on.  Is there also a
>    way to annotate info files such that I add my own little notes along
>    the way in a browsable or at least visible fashion from within the
>    Info file?
>
>    Thanks in advance!
>
> While doing `e' in an *info* buffer and installing ipa.el are something
> to look into, Bookmarks is part of Emacs and does a simple job in a
> single separate .emacs.bmk file, or as many .bmk files as you'd like to
> have.  Bookmarks may also be annotated.
>
> I'm interested in why ipa.el is preferable to Bookmarks.

Actually, I don't know much about either option.  I figured that
Bookmarks would allow me to mark a spot and give it a name or some
brief description so that I could get back to it quickly.  By
annotating I mean writing extensive notes and attaching them to a
given paragraph or word or something along those lines.  If I can do
that with Bookmarks then that's a nice win.  Probably at some point
today I'll read up on both.  I'll send out my decision for those who
are interested.

Thanks again for the help!

--

@ 2009-04-23 11:54     ` thierry.volpiatto
From: thierry.volpiatto @ 2009-04-23 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:06 PM, Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>    Hello Everyone,
>>
>>    I understand that there's a way to bookmark an info file so that I can
>>    easily reference things that interest me later on.  Is there also a
>>    way to annotate info files such that I add my own little notes along
>>    the way in a browsable or at least visible fashion from within the
>>    Info file?
>>
>>    Thanks in advance!
>>
>> While doing `e' in an *info* buffer and installing ipa.el are something
>> to look into, Bookmarks is part of Emacs and does a simple job in a
>> single separate .emacs.bmk file, or as many .bmk files as you'd like to
>> have.  Bookmarks may also be annotated.
>>
>> I'm interested in why ipa.el is preferable to Bookmarks.

ipa.el is for writing annotation in files and bookmarks to bookmark file
names or directory name.

So that's two things completely differents.

> Actually, I don't know much about either option.  I figured that
> Bookmarks would allow me to mark a spot and give it a name or some
> brief description so that I could get back to it quickly.  By
> annotating I mean writing extensive notes and attaching them to a
> given paragraph or word or something along those lines.  If I can do
> that with Bookmarks then that's a nice win.  Probably at some point
> today I'll read up on both.  I'll send out my decision for those who
> are interested.

So i i said above, bookmarks are not designed to do what you want.

--

@ 2009-04-23 12:25     ` Shaun Johnson
From: Shaun Johnson @ 2009-04-23 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Visher; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Tim Visher wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:06 PM, Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>    Hello Everyone,
>>
>>    I understand that there's a way to bookmark an info file so that I can
>>    easily reference things that interest me later on.  Is there also a
>>    way to annotate info files such that I add my own little notes along
>>    the way in a browsable or at least visible fashion from within the
>>    Info file?
>>
>>    Thanks in advance!
>>
>> While doing `e' in an *info* buffer and installing ipa.el are something
>> to look into, Bookmarks is part of Emacs and does a simple job in a
>> single separate .emacs.bmk file, or as many .bmk files as you'd like to
>> have.  Bookmarks may also be annotated.
>>
>> I'm interested in why ipa.el is preferable to Bookmarks.
>
> Actually, I don't know much about either option.  I figured that
> Bookmarks would allow me to mark a spot and give it a name or some
> brief description so that I could get back to it quickly.  By
> annotating I mean writing extensive notes and attaching them to a
> given paragraph or word or something along those lines.  If I can do
> that with Bookmarks then that's a nice win.  Probably at some point
> today I'll read up on both.  I'll send out my decision for those who
> are interested.
>
> Thanks again for the help!

Another option is to use Org mode together with org-annotate-file.el, this is
mentioned at http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/index.php. This might be
preferable to ipa.el if you already use Org mode.

Shaun.

* Re: Annotating Info Pages?
@ 2009-04-23 12:56       ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2009-04-23 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com writes:

    ipa.el is for writing annotation in files and bookmarks to bookmark file
    names or directory name.

Um, you can Bookmark any point---in the strictest sense, mind you, you
can have point return to its exact position with Bookmarks---not just to
file or directory names.  _And_ Bookmarks' annotation functionality is
way simple with `e' to edit the annotation of a bookmark and C-c C-c to
save.

    So that's two things completely differents.

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say Thierry.

    > Actually, I don't know much about either option.  I figured that
    > Bookmarks would allow me to mark a spot and give it a name or some
    > brief description so that I could get back to it quickly.  By
    > annotating I mean writing extensive notes and attaching them to a
    > given paragraph or word or something along those lines.  If I can do
    > that with Bookmarks then that's a nice win.  Probably at some point
    > today I'll read up on both.  I'll send out my decision for those who
    > are interested.

    So i i said above, bookmarks are not designed to do what you want.

(info "(emacs) Bookmarks")

* Re: Annotating Info Pages?
@ 2009-04-23 13:03         ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2009-04-23 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> writes:

        > annotating I mean writing extensive notes and attaching them to a
        > given paragraph or word or something along those lines.

    (info "(emacs) Bookmarks")

Shoot, and I forgot to write that while in a *Bookmarks* buffer, doing
C-h m gives a fuller picture of the functionality.

* Re: Annotating Info Pages?
@ 2009-04-23 13:47         ` thierry.volpiatto
       [not found]           ` <mailman.5897.1240502443.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: thierry.volpiatto @ 2009-04-23 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> writes:

> thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com writes:
>
>     ipa.el is for writing annotation in files and bookmarks to bookmark file
>     names or directory name.
>
> Um, you can Bookmark any point---in the strictest sense, mind you, you
> can have point return to its exact position with Bookmarks---not just to
> file or directory names.

AFAIK we can bookmark only files an dirs.

> _And_ Bookmarks' annotation functionality is
> way simple with `e' to edit the annotation of a bookmark and C-c C-c to
> save.

I am aware of this functionality.

>     So that's two things completely differents.
>
> I'm not really sure what you're trying to say Thierry.

What the OP want is writing personnal annotations  in the (info) file.
Not in the annotations of bookmark, like that you can keep reading your
file with your personnal annotations added in different places.

>     > Actually, I don't know much about either option.  I figured that
>     > Bookmarks would allow me to mark a spot and give it a name or some
>     > brief description so that I could get back to it quickly.  By
>     > annotating I mean writing extensive notes and attaching them to a
>     > given paragraph or word or something along those lines.  If I can do
>     > that with Bookmarks then that's a nice win.  Probably at some point
>     > today I'll read up on both.  I'll send out my decision for those who
>     > are interested.
>
>     So i i said above, bookmarks are not designed to do what you want.
>
> (info "(emacs) Bookmarks")

Eval it and try to bookmark it...

--

@ 2009-04-23 15:12   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-04-23 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> writes:

> Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> writes:
>
>     Hello Everyone,
>
>     I understand that there's a way to bookmark an info file so that I can
>     easily reference things that interest me later on.  Is there also a
>     way to annotate info files such that I add my own little notes along
>     the way in a browsable or at least visible fashion from within the
>     Info file?
>
>     Thanks in advance!
>
> While doing `e' in an *info* buffer and installing ipa.el are something
> to look into, Bookmarks is part of Emacs and does a simple job in a
> single separate .emacs.bmk file, or as many .bmk files as you'd like to
> have.  Bookmarks may also be annotated.
>
> I'm interested in why ipa.el is preferable to Bookmarks.

Try it and see : it uses overlays for a start.

* Re: Annotating Info Pages?
@ 2009-04-23 16:00           ` Sean Sieger
       [not found]           ` <mailman.5897.1240502443.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sean Sieger @ 2009-04-23 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com writes:

    AFAIK we can bookmark only files an dirs.
                 ^^^^^^^^

Isn't an info file a file???

    What the OP want is writing personnal annotations  in the (info) file.
    Not in the annotations of bookmark, like that you can keep reading your
    file with your personnal annotations added in different places.

Uh-huh.  And how is what I am saying to him different from what your
original response said to him???

From ipa.el:

;;; Commentary:

;;; With this package you can add annotations to your files without
;;; modifying them. Each file can have multiple annotations at various
;;; buffer positions. The annotation texts are not parts of the files,
;;; they are stored separately.
;;;
;;; All annotations are stored in a common file, so searching
;;; annotations is trivial.

This is what I suggested the original poster do using something that is
already in GNU/Emacs.

    Eval it and try to bookmark it...

No, Thierry, you eval it and read it, and I'd suggest doing `C-h m' (in
a *Bookmark List* buffer) when you finally take the time to explore what
it is that I am speaking of.

Sorry for the harsh language, but, judging from the commentary of
ipa.el, GNU/Emacs already does what you're suggesting the original
poster do with it.

* Re: Annotating Info Pages?
@ 2009-04-23 16:02     ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2009-04-23 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:

    Try it and see : it uses overlays for a start.

Thank you, Richard, I will.

* Re: Annotating Info Pages?
       [not found]           ` <mailman.5897.1240502443.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-04-23 16:51             ` Richard Riley
       [not found]               ` <mailman.5901.1240510538.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-04-23 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> writes:

> thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com writes:
>
>     AFAIK we can bookmark only files an dirs.
>                  ^^^^^^^^
>
> Isn't an info file a file???
>
>     What the OP want is writing personnal annotations  in the (info) file.
>     Not in the annotations of bookmark, like that you can keep reading your
>     file with your personnal annotations added in different places.
>
> Uh-huh.  And how is what I am saying to him different from what your
> original response said to him???
>
> From ipa.el:
>
> ;;; Commentary:
>
> ;;; With this package you can add annotations to your files without
> ;;; modifying them. Each file can have multiple annotations at various
> ;;; buffer positions. The annotation texts are not parts of the files,
> ;;; they are stored separately.
> ;;;
> ;;; All annotations are stored in a common file, so searching
> ;;; annotations is trivial.
>
> This is what I suggested the original poster do using something that is
> already in GNU/Emacs.
>
>     Eval it and try to bookmark it...
>
> No, Thierry, you eval it and read it, and I'd suggest doing `C-h m' (in
> a *Bookmark List* buffer) when you finally take the time to explore what
> it is that I am speaking of.
>
> Sorry for the harsh language, but, judging from the commentary of
> ipa.el, GNU/Emacs already does what you're suggesting the original
> poster do with it.

Sorry, but you're totally wrong.

* Re: Annotating Info Pages?
@ 2009-04-23 17:02             ` thierry.volpiatto
From: thierry.volpiatto @ 2009-04-23 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> writes:

> thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com writes:
>
>     AFAIK we can bookmark only files an dirs.
>                  ^^^^^^^^
>
> Isn't an info file a file???

Not when you are reading info:

Go in an info buffer and eval:

(buffer-file-name (current-buffer))

>     What the OP want is writing personnal annotations  in the (info) file.
>     Not in the annotations of bookmark, like that you can keep reading your
>     file with your personnal annotations added in different places.
>
> Uh-huh.  And how is what I am saying to him different from what your
> original response said to him???
>
> From ipa.el:
>
> ;;; Commentary:
>
> ;;; With this package you can add annotations to your files without
> ;;; modifying them. Each file can have multiple annotations at various
> ;;; buffer positions. The annotation texts are not parts of the files,
> ;;; they are stored separately.
> ;;;
> ;;; All annotations are stored in a common file, so searching
> ;;; annotations is trivial.
>
> This is what I suggested the original poster do using something that is
> already in GNU/Emacs.
>
>     Eval it and try to bookmark it...
>
> No, Thierry, you eval it and read it, and I'd suggest doing `C-h m' (in
> a *Bookmark List* buffer) when you finally take the time to explore what
> it is that I am speaking of.

Same as above.

> Sorry for the harsh language, but, judging from the commentary of
> ipa.el, GNU/Emacs already does what you're suggesting the original
> poster do with it.

Ok, so just install ipa.el use it and you will see what is different.

--

@ 2009-04-23 18:04               ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2009-04-23 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com writes:

    Not when you are reading info:

    Go in an info buffer and eval:

    (buffer-file-name (current-buffer))

So you can't bookmark your place in info, annotate that bookmark and
navigate your way back to the bookmark, read, move the bookmark to a new
place and add some more annotations?  Is that what your elisp proves?

    Ok, so just install ipa.el use it and you will see what is different.

Yep, I started looking into its possibilities the minute you turned me
onto it.  If you're such a fan, then why can't you answer my question
about ipa.el being preferable?  It was just a question, account for your
own incredulity, Thierry, instead of this elisp nonsense.

* Re: Annotating Info Pages?
@ 2009-04-23 18:15               ` Sean Sieger
       [not found]               ` <mailman.5901.1240510538.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sean Sieger @ 2009-04-23 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:

    Sorry, but you're totally wrong.

Okay.  May I then say you level of self expression is uninteresting?  I
entered this thread to learn something, Richard, your previous comment
... what, overlays, right? ... was intriguing, what happened?  Just feel
like arguing on argue-gnu-emacs@gnu.org?

* Re: Annotating Info Pages?
       [not found]               ` <mailman.5901.1240510538.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-04-23 18:41                 ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-04-23 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>     Sorry, but you're totally wrong.
>
> Okay.  May I then say you level of self expression is uninteresting?  I
> entered this thread to learn something, Richard, your previous comment
> ... what, overlays, right? ... was intriguing, what happened?  Just feel
> like arguing on argue-gnu-emacs@gnu.org?

I don't know why you're being so aggressive and, frankly, ignorant. Load
it,try and stop talking nonsense.

* Re: Annotating Info Pages?
       [not found] <mailman.5910.1240521876.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-04-23 21:27 ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-04-23 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xavier Maillard <xma@gnu.org> writes:

>    On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 4:25 PM, Xavier Maillard <xma@gnu.org> wrote:
>    >
>    >   Hello Everyone,
>    >
>    >   I understand that there's a way to bookmark an info file so that I can
>    >   easily reference things that interest me later on.  Is there also a
>    >   way to annotate info files such that I add my own little notes along
>    >   the way in a browsable or at least visible fashion from within the
>    >   Info file?
>    >
>    > I recommend ipa.el (see emacswiki.org for details).
>
>    Thanks so much Xavier (and Thierry).  That looks like exactly what I
>    want.  And it works outside of Info too!
>
> If you have any questions or feature request, I would be very
> happy to discuss/to implement them.
>
> Regards,
>
> 	Xavier

I have one which is a tad embarassing since it must be staring me in the
face! How does on delete/remove an annotation?

Also it might be nice to move the face used to an ipa- prefix name.

* Re: Annotating Info Pages?
@ 2009-04-25 14:25 Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2009-04-25 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Sieger; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> writes:

       Hello Everyone,

       I understand that there's a way to bookmark an info file so that I can
       easily reference things that interest me later on.  Is there also a
       way to annotate info files such that I add my own little notes along
       the way in a browsable or at least visible fashion from within the
       Info file?

       Thanks in advance!

   While doing `e' in an *info* buffer and installing ipa.el are something
   to look into, Bookmarks is part of Emacs and does a simple job in a
   single separate .emacs.bmk file, or as many .bmk files as you'd like to
   have.  Bookmarks may also be annotated.

   I'm interested in why ipa.el is preferable to Bookmarks.

[I am the new maintainer of ipa.el]

ipa means In Place Annotation. You write your annotations right
where the point is. The annotation is then displayed just right
where it is.

In the other hand, bookmark annotations are shown in another
buffer. I feel less comfortable to use them for the exact reason.

Maybe, in a near future, both could be merged since, in the end,
the goal are pretty the same: have point in a
buffer/file/whatever be bookmarked and/or be annotated.

I hope I was clear in my explanations.

Regards
	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

* Re: Annotating Info Pages?
@ 2009-04-25 17:32 ` Sean Sieger
       [not found] ` <mailman.6021.1240680788.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sean Sieger @ 2009-04-25 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xavier Maillard <xma@gnu.org> writes:

    [I am the new maintainer of ipa.el]

    ipa means In Place Annotation. You write your annotations right
    where the point is. The annotation is then displayed just right
    where it is.

    In the other hand, bookmark annotations are shown in another
    buffer. I feel less comfortable to use them for the exact reason.

    Maybe, in a near future, both could be merged since, in the end,
    the goal are pretty the same: have point in a
    buffer/file/whatever be bookmarked and/or be annotated.

    I hope I was clear in my explanations.

Thank you, Xavier, yep clear and just like Richard was saying, make it
sound well worth trying.  I have a system laden with a `WORKSHEET' in the
directory of each project.  As stream-of-consciousness as the worksheets
are, and hence profuse with elipses, I have never been able to afford
myself the use of brackets.  Now it seems I may.

And sorry about the `agression' earlier, it was an infantile wish to do
away with some frustrating communication.

* Re: Annotating Info Pages?
       [not found] ` <mailman.6021.1240680788.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-04-25 18:03   ` Richard Riley
       [not found]     ` <mailman.6033.1240691520.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-04-25 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> writes:

> Xavier Maillard <xma@gnu.org> writes:
>
>     [I am the new maintainer of ipa.el]
>
>     ipa means In Place Annotation. You write your annotations right
>     where the point is. The annotation is then displayed just right
>     where it is.
>
>     In the other hand, bookmark annotations are shown in another
>     buffer. I feel less comfortable to use them for the exact reason.
>
>     Maybe, in a near future, both could be merged since, in the end,
>     the goal are pretty the same: have point in a
>     buffer/file/whatever be bookmarked and/or be annotated.
>
>     I hope I was clear in my explanations.
>
> Thank you, Xavier, yep clear and just like Richard was saying, make it
> sound well worth trying.  I have a system laden with a `WORKSHEET' in the
> directory of each project.  As stream-of-consciousness as the worksheets
> are, and hence profuse with elipses, I have never been able to afford
> myself the use of brackets.  Now it seems I may.
>
> And sorry about the `agression' earlier, it was an infantile wish to do
> away with some frustrating communication.

I'm literally gobsmacked ....

* Re: Annotating Info Pages?
@ 2009-04-25 20:31     ` Sean Sieger
       [not found]     ` <mailman.6033.1240691520.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sean Sieger @ 2009-04-25 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:

    I'm literally gobsmacked ....

Speechless, but not?  I had to look that word up---it's a relatively new
word---I went in thinking it meant you're a poor reader and writer.

* Re: Annotating Info Pages?
       [not found]     ` <mailman.6033.1240691520.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-04-25 20:56       ` Richard Riley
       [not found]         ` <mailman.6035.1240702306.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-04-25 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>     I'm literally gobsmacked ....
>
> Speechless, but not?  I had to look that word up---it's a relatively new
> word---I went in thinking it meant you're a poor reader and writer.

No. I was wondering if you were trolling to be honest as the following
phrase from you ..

,----
| > directory of each project.  As stream-of-consciousness as the worksheets
| > are, and hence profuse with elipses, I have never been able to afford
| > myself the use of brackets.
`----

 .. did not tie in with your next sentence:

,----
| > And sorry about the `agression' earlier, it was an infantile wish to do
| > away with some frustrating communication.
`----

.. as basically I could hardly understand a word of that first part :-;

* Re: Annotating Info Pages?
       [not found] ` <mailman.6021.1240680788.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-04-25 21:00 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-04-25 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Maillard; +Cc: Sean Sieger, help-gnu-emacs

ipa sounds really good, Xavier.

What I would want, and I wonder if it would be possible, is something
similar that stores in org files.  Not a specific org file, but in
user-chosen locations, and found in a manner similar to
org-registry.el, except that only certain tags like :annotation: make
a match acceptable to find.

The annotations are stored in an org file anywhere in the
hierarchy.  Thus, if you want, annotations on a doctor's web
site can be stored in the entry for that doctor that is in
your org file.  If you visit that web site from any source,
even Google, the mode line says that it is annotated.  Then
you can pull up that entry with a command or toggle the annotations or
RET on a button.

Likewise with files or dired or whatever.  For example, you
can comment org.el or /etc/passwd without having to modify
them.

Then the modeline would indicate the existence of annotations (the
links with or without actual text annotations) and you could go to the
locations in the org files.  And so on.

Here is a list of related packages I have run across.  None does what
I am looking for, but ipa.el looks very interesting.

1 what exists
    1.1 org-annotate-file -- for links to file -- dedicated file
    1.2 org-registry -- finds /all/ links pointing to file -- useful
    1.3 org-protocol -- like org-annotation-helper.  based on it.
looks useful.  work with safari?
    1.4 org-annotation-helper -- for browsers etc.
    1.5 bookmarks -- not org, dedicated file
    1.6 ipa.el -- not org, looks interesting
    1.7 org-pua -- pop up annotations requiring dedicated file
2 what i want
    2.1 i think maybe registry with
        2.1.1 checking for :annotation: tag
        2.1.2 modeline indicator and button
        2.1.3 nice but not nec would be to allow in place buttons like
pua or ipa

--
Myalgic encephalomyelitis denialism is causing death and severe suffering
worse than MS.  Greed is corrupting science into foul nonsense.  Anybody can

* Re: Annotating Info Pages?
@ 2009-04-25 23:31         ` Sean Sieger
       [not found]         ` <mailman.6035.1240702306.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sean Sieger @ 2009-04-25 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:

    Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> writes:

    > Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:
    >
    >     I'm literally gobsmacked ....
    >
    > Speechless, but not?  I had to look that word up---it's a relatively new
    > word---I went in thinking it meant you're a poor reader and writer.

    No. I was wondering if you were trolling to be honest as the following
    phrase from you ..

    ,----
    | > directory of each project.  As stream-of-consciousness as the worksheets
    | > are, and hence profuse with elipses, I have never been able to afford
    | > myself the use of brackets.
    `----

     .. did not tie in with your next sentence:

While you were wondering instead of reading, my first paragraph was
meaning something.  Something very important to me.

And my second paragraph---set off by just that, a blank line, or
paragraph and not necessarily hypotactically so, was a sincere apology.

    ,----
    | > And sorry about the `agression' earlier, it was an infantile wish to do
    | > away with some frustrating communication.
    `----

    .. as basically I could hardly understand a word of that first part :-;

That's what I meant about your poor reading.  You know what is the most
instructive thing I have ever heard said about reading and writing?
That strong readers are strong writers.

Maybe instead of worrying about GNU/Emacs being in contention for the
strongest IDE, you should try using it for learning how to read and
write well---ostensibly, as the strongest _text_ editor that I know of.

I dread the day GNU/Emacs becomes Eclipse.

* Re: Annotating Info Pages?
       [not found]         ` <mailman.6035.1240702306.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-04-25 23:48           ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-04-25 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>     Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> writes:
>
>     > Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:
>     >
>     >     I'm literally gobsmacked ....
>     >
>     > Speechless, but not?  I had to look that word up---it's a relatively new
>     > word---I went in thinking it meant you're a poor reader and writer.
>     >
>     >
>     >

>     No. I was wondering if you were trolling to be honest as the following
>     phrase from you ..
>
>     ,----
>     | > directory of each project.  As stream-of-consciousness as the worksheets
>     | > are, and hence profuse with elipses, I have never been able to afford
>     | > myself the use of brackets.
>     `----
>
>      .. did not tie in with your next sentence:
>
> While you were wondering instead of reading, my first paragraph was
> meaning something.  Something very important to me.

Your first paragraph was rambling nonsense in the context of discussing
ipa v bookmarks.

> And my second paragraph---set off by just that, a blank line, or
> paragraph and not necessarily hypotactically so, was a sincere
> apology.

And you accuse me and others of "poor reading"? I was referring to your
desire to do away with "frustrating communication". Something you seem
to be quite dedicated to pursuing for some reason known only to yourself.

>     ,----
>     | > And sorry about the `agression' earlier, it was an infantile wish to do
>     | > away with some frustrating communication.
>     `----
>
>     .. as basically I could hardly understand a word of that first part :-;
>
> That's what I meant about your poor reading.  You know what is the
> most

You really need a little re-adjustment. You were rude, ignorant and
basically unwilling to do any spade work yourself. It was you that
couldn't see the difference between ipa and bookmarks where even a tiny
amount of "reading" would have clarified it for you. So as for "poor
reading" I suggest you look a little closer to home.

> instructive thing I have ever heard said about reading and writing?
> That strong readers are strong writers.

Total and utter nonsense. As a generalisation it is patently false.

> Maybe instead of worrying about GNU/Emacs being in contention for the
> strongest IDE, you should try using it for learning how to read and
> write well---ostensibly, as the strongest _text_ editor that I know
> of.

It might surprise you in your rush to be rude, ignorant and insulting
that program source generally is text. And manipulating that text with
tools suitable for the task in hand is the "IDE" part being discussed
and an attempt to discuss whats available and what improve Emacs as a
programmers editor.

> I dread the day GNU/Emacs becomes Eclipse.

No one suggested it should be "eclipse" but to stick your head in the
ground and pretend programmers don't want features like completion is
ludicrous.

Frankly I think you're trolling, so I'll say goodbye now.

regards

r.