all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Where is .emacs in Linux?
@ 2009-05-08 11:04 tirengarfio
From: tirengarfio @ 2009-05-08 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I have installed emacs in ubuntu 8.04 through "sudo apt-get install emacs"
and i want to activate the cuamode.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CuaMode Here  you can see that to activate
the cuamode i should edit ".emacs" but where is it??

Bye

* Re: Where is .emacs in Linux?
@ 2009-05-08 11:55 ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2009-05-08 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tirengarfio; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 04:04:37AM -0700, tirengarfio wrote:

> Hi,

> I have installed emacs in ubuntu 8.04 through "sudo apt-get install
> emacs" and i want to activate the cuamode.

> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CuaMode Here  you can see that to
> activate the cuamode i should edit ".emacs" but where is it??

As yet, nowhere.  You have to create the file yourself.  Normally, it
will be in your home directory.  To create it, do

    C-x C-f ~/.emacs <CR>

(i.e. "control x, control f, type in "~/.emacs", then hit carriage
return)

Edit away to your heart's content.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

* Re: Where is .emacs in Linux?
@ 2009-05-08 15:25   ` tirengarfio
       [not found]   ` <mailman.6855.1241806057.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: tirengarfio @ 2009-05-08 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

thanks!

       [not found] <mailman.6845.1241783271.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-05-08 16:26 ` notbob
From: notbob @ 2009-05-08 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2009-05-08, tirengarfio <tirengarfio@hotmail.com> wrote:

> the cuamode i should edit ".emacs" but where is it??

You can create it manually, as Alan suggests, or you can just start up emacs
and change an option, like activating wordwrap or highlighting and saving
it, which will also create the file in your home directory.

nb

* Re: Where is .emacs in Linux?
@ 2009-05-08 18:07   ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]   ` <mailman.6855.1241806057.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-05-08 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 11:55:00 +0000
> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
> Cc: Help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
>     C-x C-f ~/.emacs <CR>
>
> (i.e. "control x, control f, type in "~/.emacs", then hit carriage
> return)
>
> Edit away to your heart's content.

And don't forget to save it (C-x C-s) after editing, and then restart
Emacs for the new/changed settings to take effect.

* Re: Where is .emacs in Linux?
       [not found]   ` <mailman.6855.1241806057.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-05-08 18:49     ` Jean Magnan de Bornier
       [not found]       ` <mailman.6883.1241853333.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2009-05-08 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote :

| And don't forget to save it (C-x C-s) after editing, and then restart
| Emacs for the new/changed settings to take effect.

Restart emacs?

Why not just let emacs evaluate the file?
--
Jean

* Re: Where is .emacs in Linux?
@ 2009-05-09  7:15       ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]       ` <mailman.6883.1241853333.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-05-09  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Jean Magnan de Bornier <jean@bornier.net>
> Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 20:49:22 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote :
>
> | And don't forget to save it (C-x C-s) after editing, and then restart
> | Emacs for the new/changed settings to take effect.
>
> Restart emacs?
>
> Why not just let emacs evaluate the file?

Evaluating .emacs will work for simple customizations of options not
related to display, but will not work in general.  That's because
Emacs loads .emacs early in its startup sequence, and then continues
the startup sequence using the customizations found on .emacs.  In
addition, .emacs can define several hook functions used by Emacs as
part of its startup.  You cannot reproduce the exact effect of all
this by simply evaluating the file after the startup sequence is
finished.

So, in general, it's safer to restart.

* Re: Where is .emacs in Linux?
       [not found]       ` <mailman.6883.1241853333.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-05-10  5:09         ` Jean Magnan de Bornier
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2009-05-10  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote :

| > From: Jean Magnan de Bornier <jean@bornier.net>
| > Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 20:49:22 +0200
| >
| > Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote :
| >
| > | And don't forget to save it (C-x C-s) after editing, and then restart
| > | Emacs for the new/changed settings to take effect.
| >
| > Restart emacs?
| >
| > Why not just let emacs evaluate the file?
>
| Evaluating .emacs will work for simple customizations of options not
| related to display, but will not work in general.  That's because
| Emacs loads .emacs early in its startup sequence, and then continues
| the startup sequence using the customizations found on .emacs.  In
| addition, .emacs can define several hook functions used by Emacs as
| part of its startup.  You cannot reproduce the exact effect of all
| this by simply evaluating the file after the startup sequence is
| finished.
>
| So, in general, it's safer to restart.

Quite clear,
Thank you Eli