all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* status line color
@ 2009-06-08 12:04 Bettina Kraus
From: Bettina Kraus @ 2009-06-08 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

in my fresh Linux installation, the status line of Emacs
(the line which shows the current line number etc.)
is by default dark blue, so that I cannot read anything
that is printed in this line. How can I change the
background color of the status line?

Cheers,

Bettina

* Re: status line color
@ 2009-06-08 12:29 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-06-08 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Bettina Kraus <bettinakraus1@gmx.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> in my fresh Linux installation, the status line of Emacs
> (the line which shows the current line number etc.)
> is by default dark blue, so that I cannot read anything
> that is printed in this line. How can I change the
> background color of the status line?

M-x customize-face RET mode-line RET
M-x customize-face RET mode-line-inactive RET

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: status line color
@ 2009-06-08 12:43 ` notbob
From: notbob @ 2009-06-08 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Bettina Kraus <bettinakraus1@gmx.de> writes:

> in my fresh Linux installation, the status line of Emacs
> (the line which shows the current line number etc.)

Emacs calls this the mode-line.

> is by default dark blue, so that I cannot read anything
> that is printed in this line. How can I change the
> background color of the status line?

Emacs calls these fonts and color attributes "faces".  You can see
what your current default faces are with M-x list-display-colors.  To
change faces, use your menu.

F10 > o > 0 > f RTRN

....which will give your all your faces to change.  Make sure you save
your change:  F10 > o > o

This will put an entry in your ~/.emacs file.  If you don't have that
file, create it.  Check the entry.  Should look something like this:

(minibuffer-prompt ((t (:foreground "cyan3")))))

In this case, my change is for the minibuffer.  You can change a lot
of faces with these .emacs entries.

nb