all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* html editing
@ 2010-02-26  8:46 Daniel Dalton
From: Daniel Dalton @ 2010-02-26  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

Here is my situation:
I'm blind and doing a unit on web design, which I must complete. I'm
generating html pages. Currently I type all the code out by hand. My
fellow class mates are using gui front ends such as dream weaver on
windows.

So, for generating tables, changing fonts, and I guess for repetitive
html tasks, what tools can I use to speed up the process? Perhaps there
are tools that are available to save me so much typing...?

Thanks!
Dan

* Re: html editing
       [not found] <mailman.1915.1267174005.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-02-26 11:29 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2010-02-26 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Daniel Dalton <d.dalton@iinet.net.au> writes:
> Here is my situation:
> I'm blind and doing a unit on web design, which I must complete. I'm
> generating html pages. Currently I type all the code out by hand. My
> fellow class mates are using gui front ends such as dream weaver on
> windows.
>
> So, for generating tables, changing fonts, and I guess for repetitive
> html tasks, what tools can I use to speed up the process? Perhaps there
> are tools that are available to save me so much typing...?

Have a look at skeleton and dabbrev.

Of course, if you're a programmer, you can write a program to generate
the html instead of writing it manually...

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: html editing
@ 2010-02-26 12:00 ` Gary
From: Gary @ 2010-02-26 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 07:46:32PM +1100, Daniel Dalton wrote:

> So, for generating tables, changing fonts, and I guess for repetitive
> html tasks, what tools can I use to speed up the process? Perhaps there
> are tools that are available to save me so much typing...?

Well there is html mode of course, and there's a nice tutorial for that
at http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_html.html. That would definitely save
you typing tags. I don't know if you are expected to use CSS for your
fonts, styling and so on, it probably depends how advanced you are in
the course, but there is also a CSS mode with recent versions of
emacs. Predictive mode also has support for completing HTML tags, and
maybe other things you want as well -
http://www.dr-qubit.org/predictive/predictive-user-manual/html/HTML-Support.html#HTML-Support
I haven't use it myself yet, but it looks pretty flexible.

If you start with a plain text file you could also use txt2html, which
is a standalone tool that, as its name suggests, generates html from
plain text files. It only generates the basic HTML though, including
tables and so forth, you would have to add any styling yourself.

There is also emacs muse, of course, which can publish HTML, but I guess
that's not what you want.

* html editing
@ 2010-02-26 15:19 Henri-Paul Indiogine
From: Henri-Paul Indiogine @ 2010-02-26 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

This may not be the complete answer to your question, but org-mode,
http://orgmode.org, which is included in Emacs, is able to generate HTML
tables easily.

Best,

--
Henri-Paul Indiogine
Email: hindiogine@gmail.com

@ 2010-02-26 21:55 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2010-02-26 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Daniel Dalton wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Here is my situation:
> I'm blind and doing a unit on web design, which I must complete. I'm
> generating html pages. Currently I type all the code out by hand. My
> fellow class mates are using gui front ends such as dream weaver on
> windows.
>
> So, for generating tables, changing fonts, and I guess for repetitive
> html tasks, what tools can I use to speed up the process? Perhaps there
> are tools that are available to save me so much typing...?
>
> Thanks!
> Dan

There are also html-mode and html-helper-mode which add sections to the
menu (html, sgml, etc.) Both insert html tags, headers, lists, etc. and
position the cursor appropriately. I have this in my .emacs:

(autoload 'html-helper-mode "html-helper-mode" "Yay HTML" t)
(setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("\\.html$" . html-helper-mode)

    auto-mode-alist))

(setq html-helper-build-new-buffer t)

Since I don't really use html much, I don't remember where all this came
from. Html-helper-mode might not be part of Emacs (I have it in the
site-lisp directory) but it can be downloaded here:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/HtmlHelperMode

Ed

* Re: html editing
@ 2010-02-27 13:03 ` Daniel Dalton
From: Daniel Dalton @ 2010-02-27 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have it installed just need to read the docs:)

I think this works for both latex and html too...

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 09:19:16AM -0600, Henri-Paul Indiogine wrote:
> This may not be the complete answer to your question, but org-mode,
> http://orgmode.org, which is included in Emacs, is able to generate HTML
> tables easily.
>
> Best,

* Re: html editing
@ 2010-02-27 14:09   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-02-27 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Gary <emacs@garydjones.name> wrote:

> Predictive mode also has support for completing HTML tags, and
> maybe other things you want as well -
> http://www.dr-qubit.org/predictive/predictive-user-manual/html/HTML-Support.html#HTML-Support
> I haven't use it myself yet, but it looks pretty flexible.

I wonder how that works if you are blind. The overlays used for menus
in predictive mode (and in the interface used by company mode) are
perhaps difficult for blind people, I do not know.

I think the authors of predictive mode and company mode are thinking
about dividing the GUI part and the completion part better.

They both have frame works for this and mixing the best of them is in
my opinion what is needed now to get something like this into Emacs.
So anyone who is interested in this could perhaps help. (This is
probably much more valuable than spawning new similar GUI:s.)