all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#6993: Enabling Flyspell mode gave an error
@ 2010-09-07 14:48 jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2010-09-07 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 6993

$ emacs -Q -nw -f flyspell-mode
Enabling Flyspell mode gave an error
$ apt-cache policy emacs-snapshot
  Installed: 1:20100903-2

* bug#6993: Enabling Flyspell mode gave an error
@ 2010-09-07 15:54 ` Agustin Martin
From: Agustin Martin @ 2010-09-07 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 6993, jidanni

On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 10:48:47PM +0800, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
> $ emacs -Q -nw -f flyspell-mode
> Enabling Flyspell mode gave an error
> $ apt-cache policy emacs-snapshot
>   Installed: 1:20100903-2

Hi, Dan,

If you are using Debian emacs-snapshot please test

$ emacs-snapshot  -Q -nw -f flyspell-mode

That is causing no problems here (1:20100903-2 too).

Note that a similar error recently happened in Debian with normal Emacs
(not the snapshots) because of change in options for (called-interactively-p)
between emacs23.1 and 23.2, when upgrading to a more recent flyspell.el
from FSF Emacs bzr repo.

I currently use in Debian

(condition-case nil                      ;; XEmacs does not have `called-interactively-p',
   (called-interactively-p 'interactive) ;; emacs23.1 does not allow option and emacs23.2
             (error (interactive-p))))   ;; needs it and mark `interactive-p' obsolete

to make that work for all, but since 23.1 is not to be shipped I may change
it back to something like

(if (fboundp 'called-interactively-p)
         (called-interactively-p 'interactive)
      (interactive-p))

to keep XEmacs happy.  One of both may go into FSF Emacs bzr to decrease
XEmacs incompatibilities. Suggestions welcome.

Please confirm if problem persists when explicitly using emacs-snapshot.

--
Agustin

* bug#6993: Enabling Flyspell mode gave an error
@ 2010-09-07 16:14   ` Agustin Martin
From: Agustin Martin @ 2010-09-07 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 6993, 6994, jidanni, Thierry Volpiatto

forcemerge 6993 6994
thanks

On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 05:54:31PM +0200, Agustin Martin wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 10:48:47PM +0800, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
> > $ emacs -Q -nw -f flyspell-mode
> > Enabling Flyspell mode gave an error
> > $ apt-cache policy emacs-snapshot
> >   Installed: 1:20100903-2
>
> Hi, Dan,
>
> If you are using Debian emacs-snapshot please test
>
> $ emacs-snapshot  -Q -nw -f flyspell-mode
>
> That is causing no problems here (1:20100903-2 too).

Forget about this, just read more details in #6994 and can reproduce this
when using 'en' dict.

This is not flyspell-specific, but also happens when running ispell-word
after having selected 'en' dict. Even seems to happen for every dictionary
other than 'default'.

I am merging both bug reports, please send followups to #6994, where more
details are present.

--
Agustin

* bug#6993: Enabling Flyspell mode gave an error
@ 2010-09-07 18:13     ` Agustin Martin
From: Agustin Martin @ 2010-09-07 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 6993-done, 6994-done

On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 06:14:09PM +0200, Agustin Martin wrote:

> This is not flyspell-specific, but also happens when running ispell-word
> after having selected 'en' dict. Even seems to happen for every dictionary
> other than 'default'.

Debugged and noticed that problematic code is not run for default dict (nil)

> I am merging both bug reports, please send followups to #6994, where more
> details are present.

Just committed a change that should make sure that original arg list is
always initialized before used (at least here it does ;-)).

I am thus closing this bug report. Please reopen if this does not properly
fix the problem at your site.

Thanks for the feedback.

--
Agustin

* bug#6993: Enabling Flyspell mode gave an error
@ 2010-09-07 19:55       ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2010-09-07 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

Agustin Martin <agustin.martin@hispalinux.es> writes:

> Just committed a change that should make sure that original arg list is
> always initialized before used (at least here it does ;-)).

Just try now, i confirm all work fine now, Thanks ;-)

--
Thierry Volpiatto
Get my Gnupg key: