all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Scroll-speed with C-n
@ 2010-12-17  2:41 Harold Pimentel
From: Harold Pimentel @ 2010-12-17  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

I am kind of annoyed with the speed of next-line (C-n) and was wondering if there a way to speed up the rate of C-n and/or C-p

Thanks,

Harold

* Re: Scroll-speed with C-n
@ 2010-12-17  6:51 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2010-12-17  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Harold Pimentel <haroldpimentel@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Harold,

> I am kind of annoyed with the speed of next-line (C-n) and was
> wondering if there a way to speed up the rate of C-n and/or C-p

I don't think there's an emacs specific setting for the keyboard repeat
rate, but that's only an X11 (or MacOS) option.  For the former, you can
set it like

  $ xset r rate 350 50

meaning: repeat 50 times a second as soon as a key is pressed for more
than 350 milli seconds.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Scroll-speed with C-n
@ 2010-12-17 12:01   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2010-12-17 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Dec 17 2010, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Harold Pimentel <haroldpimentel@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi Harold,
>
>> I am kind of annoyed with the speed of next-line (C-n) and was
>> wondering if there a way to speed up the rate of C-n and/or C-p
>
> I don't think there's an emacs specific setting for the keyboard repeat
> rate, but that's only an X11 (or MacOS) option.  For the former, you can
> set it like

If you're getting where you want to go by whaling on C-n, you might
consider some more efficient movement commands. The "Changing Location
of Point" node of the Info manual has some awfully useful commands for
getting around… If that wasn't the point of your question, then ignore
this!

Eric