all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs and printing
@ 2012-03-07 17:44 baddream
From: baddream @ 2012-03-07 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hello!  I'm not an Emacs person but one of my clients is.  I'm having
difficulty finding a clear "howto" in configuring Emacs for printing.  The
operating system is FC16 and it's a basic network HP laser printer.
Printing works fine from the gnome desktop.  They had an old version of
mandrake but the system died and we re-installed with FC16.  Now the
printing from Emacs won't work.  (esc-X) ps-print-buffer says
"Printing...done" but nothing actually prints to the printer.  I've found
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/PrintingFromEmacs
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/PrintingFromEmacs  and wasn't clear where to
go with it at reviewing.  Any reference or suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.  I've never felt so handicapped before and it's getting
frustrating.

Thank you!

* Re: Emacs and printing
@ 2012-03-07 18:20 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2012-03-07 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

baddream <brad@trinsictech.com> writes:

> Hello!  I'm not an Emacs person but one of my clients is.  I'm having
> difficulty finding a clear "howto" in configuring Emacs for printing.
> The
> operating system is FC16 and it's a basic network HP laser printer.
> Printing works fine from the gnome desktop.  They had an old version
> of
> mandrake but the system died and we re-installed with FC16.  Now the
> printing from Emacs won't work.  (esc-X) ps-print-buffer says
> "Printing...done" but nothing actually prints to the printer.  I've
> found
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/PrintingFromEmacs
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/PrintingFromEmacs and wasn't clear
> where to
> go with it at reviewing.

Emacs just use whatever whatever is the default printer on the system,
usually.  You could check cups web interface or lpoptions.

In particular, try setting the printer to cups-pdf or similar.  It will
save pdfs to /var/spool/cups-pdf (at least on my system).

I usually use some kind of ps-printing because it is nicer.  Btw: there
are some scripts that saves automatically as pdfs via

ps-buffer (save to file) → ps to pdf.

This is not very organized, but I hope it might help.

–Rasmus

--
And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice
is no virtue