all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs snapshot: free variable warning
@ 2012-11-23 12:11 Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2012-11-23 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

After a recent Emacs update (I'm following Damien Cassou's Emacs
snapshot packages at <https://launchpad.net/~cassou/+archive/emacs>) one
of my init files started giving me a free variable warning that I never
got before:

```
.emacs.d/mu4e-settings.el:Warning: reference to free variable
    `offlineimap-buffer-name'
```

The warning results from a defadvice:

```
(defadvice mu4e-quit (around jk-quit-offlineimap () activate)
  "Quit OfflineIMAP when quitting mu4e."
  (interactive)
  ad-do-it
  (signal-process (get-buffer-process (get-buffer offlineimap-buffer-name)) 'SIGUSR2))
```

If I comment out this defadvice, the warning goes away.

Anyone know why I'm suddenly getting this warning? It's true that the
variable hasn't been defined yet when the code is loaded, but I have a
defun in the same file which also references this variable but doesn't
produce any warning. Besides, I'm used to getting warnings like this
when compiling code, but not when it's simply loaded...

If it is intentional (and not some bug introduced with a recent change
to Emacs) is there a way to code the defadvice so that I don't get the
warning?

TIA

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)

* Re: Emacs snapshot: free variable warning
@ 2012-11-23 13:37 ` Dmitry Gutov
       [not found]   ` <mailman.13628.1353678126.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2012-11-23 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Joost Kremers <joostkremers@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> After a recent Emacs update (I'm following Damien Cassou's Emacs
> snapshot packages at <https://launchpad.net/~cassou/+archive/emacs>) one
> of my init files started giving me a free variable warning that I never
> got before:
>
> ```
> .emacs.d/mu4e-settings.el:Warning: reference to free variable
>     `offlineimap-buffer-name'
> ```
>
> The warning results from a defadvice:
>
> ```
> (defadvice mu4e-quit (around jk-quit-offlineimap () activate)
>   "Quit OfflineIMAP when quitting mu4e."
>   (interactive)
>   ad-do-it
>   (signal-process (get-buffer-process (get-buffer offlineimap-buffer-name)) 'SIGUSR2))
> ```
>
> If I comment out this defadvice, the warning goes away.
>
> Anyone know why I'm suddenly getting this warning? It's true that the
> variable hasn't been defined yet when the code is loaded, but I have a
> defun in the same file which also references this variable but doesn't
> produce any warning. Besides, I'm used to getting warnings like this
> when compiling code, but not when it's simply loaded...
>
> If it is intentional (and not some bug introduced with a recent change
> to Emacs) is there a way to code the defadvice so that I don't get the
> warning?

Same here with autopair on Emacs trunk, compiled by myself:

```
.emacs.d/elpa/autopair-20121120.2012/autopair.elc:Warning: reference to free
    variable `autopair-mode'
```

in *Compile-Log* on startup.

Doesn't look like expected behavior.

* Re: Emacs snapshot: free variable warning
@ 2012-11-23 13:41   ` Dmitry Gutov
       [not found]   ` <mailman.13628.1353678126.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2012-11-23 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=12965 seems to be it.

@ 2012-11-23 17:33     ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2012-11-23 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dmitry Gutov wrote:
>> Joost Kremers <joostkremers@yahoo.com> writes:
>>> ```
>>> .emacs.d/mu4e-settings.el:Warning: reference to free variable
>>>     `offlineimap-buffer-name'
>>> ```
[...]
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=12965 seems to be it.

yup, that seems just about right. guess it'll go away then with the next
update. thanks.