all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Fail to send messages when the receiver's name containing non-ASCII characters
@ 2013-06-03  0:57 Hongxu Chen
From: Hongxu Chen @ 2013-06-03  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear all,

   I am having problems to send messages when the receiver's mail
   containing non-ascii characters. It's not about the address itself,
   but the display name ahead. For instance:

     DISPLAY <mailadress@some.org>

   The `DISPLAY' can be unicode characters other than characters whose
   value is between 0 and 255, but when sending such messages, emacs
   would complain messages like this:

     Assertion failed: (save-excursion (goto-char (point-min)) (not (re-search-forward "[^-ÿ]" nil t)))

  It also WARNS that:

    NUL characters found, which may cause problems.  Continue sending? (d, r, s, e, ?):

    when the non-ascii character is contained in the mail content(just
  like THIS MAIL).

  And here is my settings for sending messages(just for the reference,
  although I think they have nothing to do with the issue):

  (setq gnus-message-archive-group "nnmaildir+mymailbox:sent")
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 nil nil))
      smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 587 "leftcopy.chx@gmail.com" nil))
      smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-service 587
      smtpmail-local-domain "STAP")

  Has anyone else ever encountered similar problems?

Thanks,
Hongxu Chen

* Re: Fail to send messages when the receiver's name containing non-ASCII characters
       [not found] <mailman.903.1370221049.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-06-04 17:38 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-06-04 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hongxu Chen <leftcopy.chx@gmail.com> writes:

>    I am having problems to send messages when the receiver's
>    mail containing non-ascii characters. It's not about the
>    address itself, but the display name ahead. For instance:
>
>      DISPLAY <mailadress@some.org>
>
>    The `DISPLAY' can be unicode characters other than characters
>    whose value is between 0 and 255, but when sending such
>    messages, Emacs would complain ...

I send rmail messages to my Swedish countrymen with the special
'å', 'ä', and 'ö' characters in their names, and it works fine as
long as I *quote* the names. For example:

To: "Björn" <bsimander@ ... .com>

Did you try that: quoting?
--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: Fail to send messages when the receiver's name containing non-ASCII characters
@ 2013-06-05  1:03   ` Hongxu Chen
From: Hongxu Chen @ 2013-06-05  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Hongxu Chen <leftcopy.chx@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>    I am having problems to send messages when the receiver's
>>    mail containing non-ascii characters. It's not about the
>>    address itself, but the display name ahead. For instance:
>>
>>      DISPLAY <mailadress@some.org>
>>
>>    The `DISPLAY' can be unicode characters other than characters
>>    whose value is between 0 and 255, but when sending such
>>    messages, Emacs would complain ...
>
> I send rmail messages to my Swedish countrymen with the special
> 'å', 'ä', and 'ö' characters in their names, and it works fine as
> long as I *quote* the names. For example:
>
> To: "Björn" <bsimander@ ... .com>

Is it a necessity?
Anyway, I will remember it if there is no warning or error for this
mail.
Thanks!

--
Regards,