24.3.50; show-paren-mode: Unsatisfactory highlighting behaviour Better explained with attached screenshot. For the impatient, 0. Right in this mail buffer, M-x show-paren-mode RET 1. Place cursor at the arrow position {}{}, []{} ^ ^ 2. Expected behaviour. I should see 4 highlights. 3. Current behaviour. The parentheses pair that is highlighted is the one that is "looking back". There is no way I can highlight the parentheses pair "looking forward". I consider the bug. I am attaching the "real world" file that triggerd this bug. This can be used for unit testing purposes.