all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Waiting on compilation to finish before executing another function
@ 2013-08-15 17:36 Rami A
From: Rami A @ 2013-08-15 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Greetings,

I am using compile to pulling new files from source tree using mercurial "hg pull".
I am performing a save of all buffers before the pull and would like to "refresh all opened buffers" after the compilation "pulling" finishes.
I tried experimenting with compilation-finish-functions but found out that the functions added to the list will be executed after "every" compilation. Since I use compile to search IDs "gid" I don't want to refresh opened files on every search.
How can I wait on compilation to finish before refreshing opened files "only" while inside a command and not on every compile outside of the command.
Here is the code:

; From http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CompileCommand
(defun compile-pkg (&optional command startdir)
  "Compile a package, moving up to the parent directory
  containing configure.ac, if it exists. Start in startdir if defined,
  else start in the current directory."
  (interactive)
  (let ((dirname) (dir-buffer nil))
    (setq startdir (expand-file-name (if startdir startdir ".")))
    (setq command  (if command command compile-command))
    (setq dirname (upward-find-file "Makefile" startdir))
;    (setq dirname (if dirname dirname (upward-find-file "Makefile" startdir)))
;    (setq dirname (if dirname dirname (expand-file-name ".")))
    ; We've now worked out where to start. Now we need to worry about
    ; calling compile in the right directory
    (save-excursion
      (setq dir-buffer (find-file-noselect dirname))
      (set-buffer dir-buffer)
      (compile command)
      (kill-buffer dir-buffer)
      )))

(defun upward-find-file (filename &optional startdir)
  "Move up directories until we find a certain filename. If we
  manage to find it, return the containing directory. Else if we
  get to the toplevel directory and still can't find it, return
  nil. Start at startdir or . if startdir not given"
  (let ((dirname (expand-file-name
		  (if startdir startdir ".")))
	(found nil) ; found is set as a flag to leave loop if we find it
	(top nil))  ; top is set when we get
		    ; to / so that we only check it once
    ; While we've neither been at the top last time nor have we found
    ; the file.
    (while (not (or found top))
      ; If we're at / set top flag.
      (if (string= (expand-file-name dirname) "/")
	  (setq top t))
      ; Check for the file
      (if (file-exists-p (expand-file-name filename dirname))
	  (setq found t)
	; If not, move up a directory
	(setq dirname (expand-file-name ".." dirname))))
    ; return statement
    (if found (concat dirname "/") nil)))

(defun compile-hgpull ()
  (interactive)
  (save-all-buffers)
  (compile-pkg "/import/ftap-rust1/tools/bin/hg pull -u")
; if (compile finished) -> (revert-all-buffers)
  )

(global-set-key [f1]    'compile-hgpull)

* Re: Waiting on compilation to finish before executing another function
@ 2013-08-15 17:48 ` Dan Espen
       [not found] ` <mailman.113.1376601089.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dan Espen @ 2013-08-15 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rami A <rami.ammari@gmail.com> writes:

> Greetings,
>
> I  am using  compile  to  pulling new  files  from  source tree  using
> mercurial "hg pull".  I am performing a save of all buffers before the
> pull  and  would  like  to  "refresh all  opened  buffers"  after  the
> compilation "pulling" finishes.

I have a couple of compile procedures I run that change the source file.
I generally don't worry about it.  If I go to make any kind of a change
to my source file, Emacs detects that the file has changed and asks me
what I want to do.

So, I just start making changes and when the prompt appears I type
"r" (revert).  The one extra  character doesn't seem like it's worth
worrying about.

--
Dan Espen

* Re: Waiting on compilation to finish before executing another function
@ 2013-08-15 17:53   ` Rami A
From: Rami A @ 2013-08-15 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks Dan.
I am aware of the way emacs alert you if a the file changed on disk.
Unfortunately, I do a lot of "code review" before making any change, so looking at stale data is not a good thing.
I could have included (revert-all-buffers) right after the compile command but sometimes pulling take long enough that refreshing the files happened before the completion of updating the files.
I am sure there is a way to wait on compile before proceeding forward.

* Re: Waiting on compilation to finish before executing another function
@ 2013-08-15 18:04     ` Dan Espen
       [not found]     ` <mailman.103.1376592065.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dan Espen @ 2013-08-15 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rami A <rami.ammari@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks Dan.
> I am aware of the way emacs alert you if a the file changed on disk.
> Unfortunately, I do a lot of "code review" before making any change, so looking at stale data is not a good thing.
> I could have included (revert-all-buffers) right after the compile
> command but sometimes pulling take long enough that refreshing the
> files happened before the completion of updating the files.
> I am sure there is a way to wait on compile before proceeding forward.

You might be able to use emacsclient to send a command to your running
emacs as a step in the compile process.

--
Dan Espen

* Re: Waiting on compilation to finish before executing another function
@ 2013-08-15 18:11       ` Rami A
From: Rami A @ 2013-08-15 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I looked up emacsclient but it seems that it involved shell scripting outside of emacs.
I am thinking that there could be a way to do it from inside emacs and using elisp only.

* Re: Waiting on compilation to finish before executing another function
@ 2013-08-15 18:41     ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]     ` <mailman.103.1376592065.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-08-15 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 10:53:40 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Rami A <rami.ammari@gmail.com>
>
> I am aware of the way emacs alert you if a the file changed on disk.
> Unfortunately, I do a lot of "code review" before making any change, so looking at stale data is not a good thing.
> I could have included (revert-all-buffers) right after the compile command but sometimes pulling take long enough that refreshing the files happened before the completion of updating the files.
> I am sure there is a way to wait on compile before proceeding forward.

Did you try turning on auto-revert mode in those buffers?

@ 2013-08-15 18:53       ` Rami A
From: Rami A @ 2013-08-15 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I think that would be dangerous Eli.
If I changed source file from a different shell I don't want the file to be auto-refreshed. Since I would not have a chance to review the changes beforehand.
I only want the refresh to happen after the pull has finished since at that point I am sure that I have saved all files already.

* Re: Waiting on compilation to finish before executing another function
@ 2013-08-15 21:14 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
       [not found] ` <mailman.113.1376601089.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2013-08-15 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Rami A; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

() Rami A <rami.ammari@gmail.com>
() Thu, 15 Aug 2013 10:36:21 -0700 (PDT)

   I tried experimenting with compilation-finish-functions but found out
   that the functions added to the list will be executed after "every"
   compilation. Since I use compile to search IDs "gid" I don't want to
   refresh opened files on every search.

For the compilation that does the pull, set a buffer-local variable
to note the case.  Then add to ‘compilation-finish-function’ a function
that does ‘revert-all-buffers’ only if indicated by that variable.

Actually, ‘compile’ normally sets a bunch of buffer-local variables
itself.  For instance, you could check ‘compilation-arguments’.

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen
   GPG key: 4C807502

@ 2013-08-15 21:46   ` Rami A
From: Rami A @ 2013-08-15 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thien,
That's a good idea.
I am not an expert in elisp. Could you help me implement the local variable as you suggested in this function and conditionally hooking it to‘compilation-finish-functions’ :

(defun compile-hgpull ()
  (interactive)
  (save-all-buffers)
  (compile-pkg "hg pull -u")

@ 2013-08-15 22:41     ` Rami A
From: Rami A @ 2013-08-15 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ok. I tried something like this, but I keep getting errors, any pointers?

(setq compilevar nil)
(defun compile-hgpull ()
  (interactive)
  (save-all-buffers)
  (setq compilevar 1)
  (compile-pkg "hg pull -u"))

(defun notify-compilation-result ()
  (if compilevar (revert-all-buffers))
  (setq compilevar nil)
  )

(add-to-list 'compilation-finish-functions
	     'notify-compilation-result)

* Re: Waiting on compilation to finish before executing another function
@ 2013-08-15 23:03       ` Rami A
From: Rami A @ 2013-08-15 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ok. I fixed it:

(setq compilevar "Bad")
(defun compile-hgpull ()
  (interactive)
  (save-all-buffers)
  (setq compilevar "Good")
  (compile-pkg "hg pull -u"))

(defun notify-compilation-result ()
  (if (string-match "Good" compilevar)
    (progn (setq compilevar "Bad")
     (revert-all-buffers))))

@ 2013-08-15 23:11       ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2013-08-15 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rami A <rami.ammari@gmail.com> writes:

> Ok. I tried something like this, but I keep getting errors, any pointers?
>
> (setq compilevar nil)
> (defun compile-hgpull ()
>   (interactive)
>   (save-all-buffers)
>   (setq compilevar 1)
>   (compile-pkg "hg pull -u"))
>
> (defun notify-compilation-result ()
>   (if compilevar (revert-all-buffers))
>   (setq compilevar nil)
>   )
>
> (add-to-list 'compilation-finish-functions
> 	     'notify-compilation-result)

For assigning a buffer-local variable you use `setq-local', which sets
the variable associated to the *current* buffer. That's the other piece
missing in your code. So make sure that `compile-pkg' returns the buffer
returned by `compile' and replacing your compile-hgpull with this should
do the trick:

(defun compile-hgpull ()
  (interactive)
  (save-all-buffers)
  (with-current-buffer (compile-pkg "hg pull -u")
     (setq-local compilevar 1))

* Re: Waiting on compilation to finish before executing another function
@ 2013-08-16  1:43         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-08-16  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> If I changed source file from a different shell I don't want the file to be
> auto-refreshed. Since I would not have a chance to review the
> changes beforehand.

auto-revert-mode will only perform the revert-buffer if the buffer
doesn't have any changes, so it should be safe.