all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ediff-directories - how to ignore timestamps and work recursively
@ 2013-09-04  6:06 Stefan Vollmar
From: Stefan Vollmar @ 2013-09-04  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I want to compare two directories and see what files are different, however, the comparison should ignore timestamps of files. Is there a simple solution?

I had assumed that ediff would also consider files in subdirectories of the directory paths given for comparison. Apparently, it does not do that in Emacs 23.4.1 - is there a "recursive" option?

Many thanks in advance.
Warm regards,
Dr. Stefan Vollmar, Dipl.-Phys.
Head of IT group
Max-Planck-Institut für neurologische Forschung
Gleueler Str. 50, 50931 Köln, Germany
Tel.: +49-221-4726-213  FAX +49-221-4726-298
Tel.: +49-221-478-5713  Mobile: 0160-93874279
E-Mail: vollmar@nf.mpg.de   http://www.nf.mpg.de

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: ediff-directories - how to ignore timestamps and work recursively
@ 2013-09-04  7:47 ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-09-04  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 08:06:31AM +0200, Stefan Vollmar wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to compare two directories and see what files are different, however, the comparison should ignore timestamps of files. Is there a simple solution?
>
> I had assumed that ediff would also consider files in subdirectories of the directory paths given for comparison. Apparently, it does not do that in Emacs 23.4.1 - is there a "recursive" option?

You might have better luck on the emacs list.  That said, did you look
at `ediff-directories'?

Hope this helps,

--
Suvayu

* Re: ediff-directories - how to ignore timestamps and work recursively
@ 2013-09-04  7:49   ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2013-09-04  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 9:47 AM, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
>  That said, did you look at `ediff-directories'?

Oops!  I missed the part you already tried it and it doesn't meet your
needs.  Sorry about that.

--
Suvayu

* Re: ediff-directories - how to ignore timestamps and work recursively
@ 2013-09-04  7:56   ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2013-09-04  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

>> Hello,
>>
>> I want to compare two directories and see what files are different,
>> however, the comparison should ignore timestamps of files. Is there
>> a simple solution?
>>
>> I had assumed that ediff would also consider files in subdirectories
>> of the directory paths given for comparison. Apparently, it does not
>> do that in Emacs 23.4.1 - is there a "recursive" option?
>>

> You might have better luck on the emacs list.  That said, did you look
> at `ediff-directories'?

That's also my tool of choice. Combined with the key sequene "= h x",
which shows you only the files which differ.

`ediff-directories' is not recursive, but it gives you also subdirectory
pairs to compare. Just hit enter on such a pair.

As bonus, it even works for remote directories.

Best regards, Michael.

* ediff-directories - how to ignore timestamps and work recursively
@ 2013-09-04  8:54     ` Stefan Vollmar
From: Stefan Vollmar @ 2013-09-04  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Michael,

On 04.09.2013, at 09:56, Michael Albinus wrote:

>> You might have better luck on the emacs list.

that was actually what I had in mind, my mistake.

>>  That said, did you look
>> at `ediff-directories'?
>
> That's also my tool of choice. Combined with the key sequene "= h x",
> which shows you only the files which differ.

that works beautifully, thanks! However, there are a few files in one directory with no corresponding files in the other directory - they are easy to miss in my case (1000+ files). I luckily knew about them so I noticed that ediff-directories does not list them - is that by design?

> `ediff-directories' is not recursive, but it gives you also subdirectory
> pairs to compare. Just hit enter on such a pair.
>
> As bonus, it even works for remote directories.

- courtesy of the extremely useful tramp-package (which we use every day for editing remote files)?

@ 2013-09-04 10:34       ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2013-09-04 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Vollmar <vollmar@nf.mpg.de> writes:

> Dear Michael,

Hi Stefan,

>> That's also my tool of choice. Combined with the key sequene "= h x",
>> which shows you only the files which differ.
>
> that works beautifully, thanks! However, there are a few files in one
> directory with no corresponding files in the other directory - they
> are easy to miss in my case (1000+ files). I luckily knew about them
> so I noticed that ediff-directories does not list them - is that by
> design?

Yes, AFAIK. If you want to have it changed, you might write a wishlist
request via "M-x report-emacs-bug".

>> As bonus, it even works for remote directories.
>
> - courtesy of the extremely useful tramp-package (which we use every
> day for editing remote files)?

Yes :-)

IIRC, we have patched `ediff-same-file-contents' last year in order to
make it working for remote directories. So it might work only for Emacs
24.3 or later.

> Warm regards,
>  Stefan

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: ediff-directories - how to ignore timestamps and work recursively
@ 2013-09-04 12:03         ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-09-04 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Michael,

On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 12:34:34PM +0200, Michael Albinus wrote:

> >> As bonus, it even works for remote directories.
> >
> > - courtesy of the extremely useful tramp-package (which we use every
> > day for editing remote files)?
>
> Yes :-)
>
> IIRC, we have patched `ediff-same-file-contents' last year in order to
> make it working for remote directories. So it might work only for Emacs
> 24.3 or later.

I feel obligated to mention this: I have used tramp for many years now,
and it never ceases to amaze me how it makes working with remote files
and directories such a pleasure in so many different contexts.

Thanks for that :).

--
Suvayu