martin rudalics writes: >>> Where is this `switch-to-buffer' call issued? >> >> In `gud-common-init'. > > Thanks, I haven't looked into that code for years. And the final > `display-buffer' call that causes trouble is in `gud-display-line'? > > In that case how about the following: In `gud-common-init' instead of > `switch-to-buffer' let's call `display-buffer' with an action list that > would go like > > (display-buffer-reuse-window display-buffer-in-previous-window > display-buffer-same-window display-buffer-pop-up-window) > > and in `gud-display-line' use `inhibit-same-window' as you proposed > earlier (and maybe `inhibit-switch-frame' as well). WDYT? Could you > try writing an according patch for gud.el? Sorry this took so long. I've done minimal testing so far, and will have to test some more under real debugging situations, but the included patch does alleviate at least one problem I am having.