all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#20817: 25.0.50; Problems with upgrading of packages
@ 2015-06-15 11:55 Mark Karpov
From: Mark Karpov @ 2015-06-15 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 20817

***

It seems like there are some problems with upgrading of packages
now. When I call ‘package-list-packages’ command, the list is printed,
but I'm also presented with a message in the minibuffer that reads:

  error in process filter: wrong type argument: listp, :error

When I want to upgrade some packages, I get this error message instead:

  Package `...package description...` is unavailable

It's strange, I guess it's some sort of bug.

***

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.8 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.16.4)
 of 2015-06-15 on arch
Repository revision: 08bad175d45dad7bb872c604cd2b8e84cc1cc5bb
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11701000
Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: iε

Minor modes in effect:
  rainbow-delimiters-mode: t
  flycheck-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  whitespace-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  ido-vertical-mode: t
  ido-ubiquitous-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-aggressive-indent-mode: t
  aggressive-indent-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  smartparens-global-mode: t
  smartparens-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill
  auto-fill-mode: 1

Recent messages:
package-compute-transaction: Package `([cl-struct-package-desc cider (20150614 2326) Clojure Interactive Development Environment that Rocks ((clojure-mode (4 0 0)) (dash (2 4 1)) (pkg-info (0 4)) (emacs (24 3)) (queue (0 1 1))) tar melpa nil ((:url . http://www.github.com/clojure-emacs/cider) (:keywords languages clojure cider)) nil])-' is unavailable
Importing package-keyring.gpg...done
Waiting for refresh to finish...
Package refresh done
2 packages marked for upgrading.
error in process filter: apply: Wrong type argument: listp, :error
error in process filter: Wrong type argument: listp, :error
2 packages marked for upgrading.
Upgrade these 2 packages (cider-20150612.315, clojure-mode-20150611.1524)? (y or n) y
Package menu: Operation started [Upgrading 2]
package-compute-transaction: Package `([cl-struct-package-desc clojure-mode (20150614 1628) Major mode for Clojure code ((emacs (24 3))) single melpa nil ((:url . http://github.com/clojure-emacs/clojure-mode) (:keywords languages clojure clojurescript lisp)) nil] dont-select)-' is unavailable

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail smex mm-archive message dired
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-utils network-stream nsm starttls url-http tls
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums url-gw url-cache url-auth
url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse auth-source gnus-util
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars epg ace-window avy
rainbow-delimiters flycheck-haskell haskell-cabal haskell-utils flycheck
find-func rx subr-x flyspell ispell whitespace mk-visual
solarized-dark-theme solarized mk-tex mk-slime slime-fancy
slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu slime-references
slime-compiler-notes-tree slime-scratch slime-presentations bridge
slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c
slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc slime-repl slime-parse slime
compile etags xref eieio eieio-core arc-mode archive-mode noutline
outline pp comint ansi-color ring hyperspec browse-url slime-autoloads
cl-macs mk-scheme mk-python mk-prolog mk-org mk-markdown mk-man mk-magit
mk-haskell mk-gnus mk-erc mk-elisp mk-dired mk-diff mk-clojure
mk-calendar mk-c mk-bookmark mk-minor-modes common-lisp-snippets
yasnippet help-mode cl gv whole-line-or-region paren minibuf-eldef
ido-vertical-mode ido-ubiquitous ido-completing-read+ ido warnings
autorevert filenotify cl-seq aggressive-indent easy-mmode time delsel
smartparens-config smartparens byte-opt thingatpt dash mk-global edmacro
kmacro mk-utils mk-abbrev server bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra seq
cconv finder-inf tex-site fix-word cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib info
easymenu advice package epg-config time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp
files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind gfilenotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 749960 154652)
 (symbols 48 36211 0)
 (miscs 40 83 281)
 (strings 32 102965 64187)
 (string-bytes 1 3714608)
 (vectors 16 44323)
 (vector-slots 8 1436456 166375)
 (floats 8 396 718)
 (intervals 56 71599 84)
 (buffers 976 18)
 (heap 1024 81344 8993))

* bug#20817: 25.0.50; Problems with upgrading of packages
@ 2015-06-17 16:01 ` Artur Malabarba
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Artur Malabarba @ 2015-06-17 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Mark Karpov, Tassilo Horn; +Cc: 20817

Ok, the first part ("error in process filter: wrong type argument:
listp, :error") is a bug in the error handler :P
I've fixed it now, so maybe it'll give us some useful information
about what's hapening in the second part.

@ 2015-06-18  6:54 ` Mark Karpov
From: Mark Karpov @ 2015-06-18  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 20817

After a recent fix, packages are still unavailable for me, but error
message has changed to:

  error in process filter: peculiar error: 404

I'm sorry that I didn't investigate the problem immediately. Previously,
it seemed like even when I start Emacs with -Q flag the problem is
there. Now, when I start it without my configuration file it works fine.

So, there is something in my configuration file that conflicts with the
recent changes. I have to say that it worked until now, so theoretically
it should work after the improvements too.

I've found out that this code suffices to break package
upgrading/displaying (all the stuff is quite trivial):

(setq
 package-selected-packages
 ;; I prefer setting it explicitly, I even filter arguments of
 ;; ‘package-install’ so it never adds anything to this list,
 ;; but that advice doesn't cause the problem
 '(ace-window
   aggressive-indent
   auctex
   avy
   buffer-move
   cider
   common-lisp-snippets
   fix-word
   flycheck
   flycheck-haskell
   ghc
   gitignore-mode
   haskell-mode
   ido-hacks
   ido-ubiquitous
   ido-vertical-mode
   magit
   markdown-mode
   multiple-cursors
   prolog
   rainbow-delimiters
   smartparens
   smex
   solarized-theme
   whole-line-or-region
   yasnippet))

(require 'package)

(add-to-list
 'package-archives '("melpa" . "http://melpa.milkbox.net/packages/"))

(package-initialize)

(unless package-archive-contents
  (package-refresh-contents))

;; I know about new function ‘package-install-selected-packages’, but
;; I don't like it, it asks questions and I don't remember now, but
;; there were other problems with it, so I do install stuff manually

(dolist (package package-selected-packages)
  (unless (package-installed-p package)
    (package-install package)))

You can now build Emacs, evaluate buffer with this code and try it. The
problem can be further narrowed, I'm sure, but I have no idea what's
going on under the hood, so you can do it better than me. Tell me if
this code doesn't reproduce the problem for you.

Also, answering question from the previous email,
‘package-refresh-contents’ works fine.

* bug#20817: 25.0.50; Problems with upgrading of packages
@ 2015-06-18 12:50   ` Artur Malabarba
From: Artur Malabarba @ 2015-06-18 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Mark Karpov; +Cc: 20817

Your melpa address is outdated. Try changing it to melpa.org/packages

@ 2015-06-18 13:29 ` Mark Karpov
From: Mark Karpov @ 2015-06-18 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 20817

> Your melpa address is outdated. Try changing it to melpa.org/packages

I didn't know that. I've refreshed the address, but the error message
doesn't go away (from *Messages* buffer):

  Thursday, 18 June 2015
  Importing package-keyring.gpg...done
  Package refresh done
  6 packages can be upgraded; type `U' to mark them for upgrading.
  error in process filter: peculiar error: 404 [2 times]

I still cannot upgrade anything, because it says that packages are
unavailable.

* bug#20817: 25.0.50; Problems with upgrading of packages
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-06-18 13:31 ` bruce.connor.am
From: bruce.connor.am @ 2015-06-18 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Mark Karpov; +Cc: 20817

I think I caught it now. This should be fixed by the following commit (just
pushed)
711e14d * lisp/emacs-lisp/package.el: Don't always propagate async errors

Does it work for you now?

* bug#20817: 25.0.50; Problems with upgrading of packages
@ 2015-06-18 13:51   ` Mark Karpov
From: Mark Karpov @ 2015-06-18 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: bruce.connor.am, 20817

Great, this eliminates the error message, but when I press ‘U’ the
packages are said to be unavailable anyway.

* bug#20817: 25.0.50; Problems with upgrading of packages
@ 2015-06-18 14:05     ` bruce.connor.am
From: bruce.connor.am @ 2015-06-18 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Mark Karpov; +Cc: 20817

Ok, that's a separate issue. So let's clean the slate.

1. Make sure you've recompiled package.el, and restart Emacs.
2. Turn on debug-on-error with M-x toggle-debug-on-error
3. List packages, wait for the refresh to finish, then try to `U x'.
4. Do you get an error buffer? And what messages do you get in *Messages*?

Thanks

* bug#20817: 25.0.50; Problems with upgrading of packages
@ 2015-06-18 14:21       ` Mark Karpov
From: Mark Karpov @ 2015-06-18 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: bruce.connor.am, 20817

Here's what I've got (copy-pasted «as is»):

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Package `([cl-struct-package-desc names (20150617 359) Namespaces for emacs-lisp. Avoid name clobbering without hiding symbols. ((emacs (24 1)) (cl-lib (0 5))) tar melpa nil ((:url . http://github.com/Bruce-Connor/names) (:keywords extensions lisp)) nil] dont-select)-' is unavailable")
  signal(error ("Package `([cl-struct-package-desc names (20150617 359) Namespaces for emacs-lisp. Avoid name clobbering without hiding symbols. ((emacs (24 1)) (cl-lib (0 5))) tar melpa nil ((:url . http://github.com/Bruce-Connor/names) (:keywords extensions lisp)) nil] dont-select)-' is unavailable"))
  error("Package `%s-%s' is unavailable" ([cl-struct-package-desc names (20150617 359) "Namespaces for emacs-lisp. Avoid name clobbering without hiding symbols." ((emacs (24 1)) (cl-lib (0 5))) tar "melpa" nil ((:url . "http://github.com/Bruce-Connor/names") (:keywords "extensions" "lisp")) nil] dont-select) "")
  package-compute-transaction(nil ((([cl-struct-package-desc names (20150617 359) "Namespaces for emacs-lisp. Avoid name clobbering without hiding symbols." ((emacs (24 1)) (cl-lib (0 5))) tar "melpa" nil ((:url . "http://github.com/Bruce-Connor/names") (:keywords "extensions" "lisp")) nil] dont-select))))
  #[513 "\302\303\304\"\210\305.!\203/.\x01G\306Y\203/.\x01\307H\b>\203/.\x01\307H\b>\204).\310\311\312.D\"\210.\313H\2020.\x01.\204@.\314.!\204@.\315.	B!\210\210\305.!\203w.\x01G\306Y\203w.\x01\307H\b>\203w.\316.!?\205}.\317.C.\307H\b>\204p.\310\311\312.\x06D\"\210.\320H\"\202}.\317\321.CC\"\211\203\207.\322.!\202\215.\323\324\325.!\"\207" [cl-struct-package-desc-tags package-selected-packages add-hook post-command-hook package-menu--post-refresh vectorp 10 0 signal wrong-type-argument package-desc 1 package--user-selected-p package--save-selected-packages package-installed-p package-compute-transaction 4 nil package-download-transaction message "`%s' is already installed" package-desc-full-name] 8 ("/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/package.elc" . 77294) (byte-code "\b\204\b.\302\303!\210	\204.\0\304 \210\305\306\307\310\311\312\313	\"\"\311\303$!\311D\207" [package--initialized package-archive-contents package-initialize t package-refresh-contents intern completing-read "Install package: " delq nil mapcar #[257 "\300.@!?\205\f.\301.@!\207" [package-installed-p symbol-name] 3 "\n\n(fn ELT)"]] 8)](([cl-struct-package-desc names (20150617 359) "Namespaces for emacs-lisp. Avoid name clobbering without hiding symbols." ((emacs (24 1)) (cl-lib (0 5))) tar "melpa" nil ((:url . "http://github.com/Bruce-Connor/names") (:keywords "extensions" "lisp")) nil] dont-select) t)
  apply(#[513 "\302\303\304\"\210\305.!\203/.\x01G\306Y\203/.\x01\307H\b>\203/.\x01\307H\b>\204).\310\311\312.D\"\210.\313H\2020.\x01.\204@.\314.!\204@.\315.	B!\210\210\305.!\203w.\x01G\306Y\203w.\x01\307H\b>\203w.\316.!?\205}.\317.C.\307H\b>\204p.\310\311\312.\x06D\"\210.\320H\"\202}.\317\321.CC\"\211\203\207.\322.!\202\215.\323\324\325.!\"\207" [cl-struct-package-desc-tags package-selected-packages add-hook post-command-hook package-menu--post-refresh vectorp 10 0 signal wrong-type-argument package-desc 1 package--user-selected-p package--save-selected-packages package-installed-p package-compute-transaction 4 nil package-download-transaction message "`%s' is already installed" package-desc-full-name] 8 ("/usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/package.elc" . 77294) (byte-code "\b\204\b.\302\303!\210	\204.\0\304 \210\305\306\307\310\311\312\313	\"\"\311\303$!\311D\207" [package--initialized package-archive-contents package-initialize t package-refresh-contents intern completing-read "Install package: " delq nil mapcar #[257 "\300.@!?\205\f.\301.@!\207" [package-installed-p symbol-name] 3 "\n\n(fn ELT)"]] 8)] (([cl-struct-package-desc names (20150617 359) "Namespaces for emacs-lisp. Avoid name clobbering without hiding symbols." ((emacs (24 1)) (cl-lib (0 5))) tar "melpa" nil ((:url . "http://github.com/Bruce-Connor/names") (:keywords "extensions" "lisp")) nil] dont-select) t))
  package-install([cl-struct-package-desc names (20150617 359) "Namespaces for emacs-lisp. Avoid name clobbering without hiding symbols." ((emacs (24 1)) (cl-lib (0 5))) tar "melpa" nil ((:url . "http://github.com/Bruce-Connor/names") (:keywords "extensions" "lisp")) nil] dont-select)
  package-menu--perform-transaction(([cl-struct-package-desc names (20150617 359) "Namespaces for emacs-lisp. Avoid name clobbering without hiding symbols." ((emacs (24 1)) (cl-lib (0 5))) tar "melpa" nil ((:url . "http://github.com/Bruce-Connor/names") (:keywords "extensions" "lisp")) nil] [cl-struct-package-desc haskell-mode (20150618 309) "A Haskell editing mode" ((cl-lib (0 5))) tar "melpa" nil nil nil] [cl-struct-package-desc clojure-mode (20150614 1628) "Major mode for Clojure code" ((emacs (24 3))) single "melpa" nil ((:url . "http://github.com/clojure-emacs/clojure-mode") (:keywords "languages" "clojure" "clojurescript" "lisp")) nil] [cl-struct-package-desc cider (20150617 753) "Clojure Interactive Development Environment that Rocks" ((clojure-mode (4 0 0)) (dash (2 4 1)) (pkg-info (0 4)) (emacs (24 3)) (queue (0 1 1))) tar "melpa" nil ((:url . "http://www.github.com/clojure-emacs/cider") (:keywords "languages" "clojure" "cider")) nil] [cl-struct-package-desc avy (20150615 1048) "set-based completion" ((emacs (24 1)) (cl-lib (0 5))) single "melpa" nil ((:url . "https://github.com/abo-abo/avy") (:keywords "point" "location")) nil] [cl-struct-package-desc aggressive-indent (20150618 545) "Minor mode to aggressively keep your code always indented" ((emacs (24 1)) (names (20150125 9)) (cl-lib (0 5))) single "melpa" nil ((:url . "http://github.com/Malabarba/aggressive-indent-mode") (:keywords "indent" "lisp" "maint" "tools")) nil]) ([cl-struct-package-desc names (20150611 636) "Namespaces for emacs-lisp. Avoid name clobbering without hiding symbols." ((emacs (24 1)) (cl-lib (0 5))) nil nil "/home/mark/.emacs.d/elpa/names-20150611.636" ((:keywords "extensions" "lisp") (:url . "http://github.com/Bruce-Connor/names")) nil] [cl-struct-package-desc clojure-mode (20150611 1524) "Major mode for Clojure code" ((emacs (24 3))) nil nil "/home/mark/.emacs.d/elpa/clojure-mode-20150611.1524" ((:keywords "languages" "clojure" "clojurescript" "lisp") (:url . "http://github.com/clojure-emacs/clojure-mode")) nil] [cl-struct-package-desc haskell-mode (20150611 2343) "A Haskell editing mode" ((cl-lib (0 5))) nil nil "/home/mark/.emacs.d/elpa/haskell-mode-20150611.2343" nil nil] [cl-struct-package-desc cider (20150612 315) "Clojure Interactive Development Environment that Rocks" ((clojure-mode (4 0 0)) (dash (2 4 1)) (pkg-info (0 4)) (emacs (24 3)) (queue (0 1 1))) nil nil "/home/mark/.emacs.d/elpa/cider-20150612.315" ((:keywords "languages" "clojure" "cider") (:url . "http://www.github.com/clojure-emacs/cider")) nil] [cl-struct-package-desc avy (20150608 404) "set-based completion" ((emacs (24 1)) (cl-lib (0 5))) nil nil "/home/mark/.emacs.d/elpa/avy-20150608.404" ((:keywords "point" "location") (:url . "https://github.com/abo-abo/avy")) nil] [cl-struct-package-desc aggressive-indent (20150516 238) "Minor mode to aggressively keep your code always indented" ((emacs (24 1)) (names (20150125 9)) (cl-lib (0 5))) nil nil "/home/mark/.emacs.d/elpa/aggressive-indent-20150516.238" ((:keywords "indent" "lisp" "maint" "tools") (:url . "http://github.com/Malabarba/aggressive-indent-mode")) nil]))
  package-menu-execute()
  funcall-interactively(package-menu-execute)
  #<subr call-interactively>(package-menu-execute nil nil)
  ad-Advice-call-interactively(#<subr call-interactively> package-menu-execute nil nil)
  apply(ad-Advice-call-interactively #<subr call-interactively> (package-menu-execute nil nil))
  call-interactively(package-menu-execute nil nil)
  command-execute(package-menu-execute)

…and in *Messages*:

Thursday, 18 June 2015
Debug on Error enabled globally
Importing package-keyring.gpg...done
Package refresh done
6 packages can be upgraded; type `U' to mark them for upgrading.
6 packages marked for upgrading.
Upgrade these 6 packages (aggressive-indent-20150516.238, avy-20150608.404, cider-20150612.315, haskell-mode-20150611.2343, clojure-mode-20150611.1524, names-20150611.636)? (y or n) y
Package menu: Operation started [Upgrading 6]
Entering debugger...
previous-line: Beginning of buffer [4 times]

* bug#20817: 25.0.50; Problems with upgrading of packages
@ 2015-06-18 15:07         ` Artur Malabarba
From: Artur Malabarba @ 2015-06-18 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Mark Karpov; +Cc: 20817

Hm, that's pretty strange. There are two lines between the call to
package-install and the call to package-compute-transaction that look
like they shouldn't be there (at least, AFAICS).
Do you have an advice on any of these functions?

@ 2015-06-18 15:23           ` Mark Karpov
From: Mark Karpov @ 2015-06-18 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: bruce.connor.am, 20817

I have this advice, but I don't see how it can cause any problem:

(defun pkgi-filter-args (pkg &optional _dont-select)
  "How to filter arguments of `package-install' command.
PKG is passed to the command, while DONT-SELECT is always T, so
one can select any packages only by manually adding them to
`package-selected-packages' variable."
  (list pkg t))

(advice-add 'package-install :filter-args #'pkgi-filter-args)

Try to evaluate the code and I've posted previously plus these lines.

Note that I've tried to upgrade packages evaluating only code that I've
already posted (without the advice). It worked! Bad news are that I'm
now unable to test this behavior anymore until there are new versions of
some packages on MELPA (it's impossible to revert to older builds
AFAIK).

* bug#20817: 25.0.50; Problems with upgrading of packages
@ 2015-06-18 15:41             ` Artur Malabarba
From: Artur Malabarba @ 2015-06-18 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Mark Karpov; +Cc: 20817

> I have this advice, but I don't see how it can cause any problem:

Yeah, I don't see it either. If I read the backtrace correctly, that
code is called between package-install and package-compute-transaction
(which is strange because one function shoudl be called directly by
the other). So it would most likely be an advice on
compute-transaction. (but advices are complicated, so I wouldn't rule
that out)

> Bad news are that I'm
> now unable to test this behavior anymore until there are new versions of
> some packages on MELPA (it's impossible to revert to older builds
> AFAIK).

You can fake a downgrade.
1. Rename one of the directories inside ".elpa" (like "org-2015nnnn"
to "org-1"),
2. change the version number inside the "org-1/org-pkg.el" file,
3. restart emacs (or maybe just M-x package-initialize).

* bug#20817: 25.0.50; Problems with upgrading of packages
@ 2015-06-18 15:58               ` Mark Karpov
From: Mark Karpov @ 2015-06-18 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: bruce.connor.am, 20817

> You can fake a downgrade.
> 1. Rename one of the directories inside ".elpa" (like "org-2015nnnn"
> to "org-1"),
> 2. change the version number inside the "org-1/org-pkg.el" file,
> 3. restart emacs (or maybe just M-x package-initialize).

Great, now I'm remembering that I used this trick some time ago to test
one my function (it upgrades all packages without displaying *packages*
buffer — good feature to have, by the way).

Now, the interesting thing is that this advice really makes
difference. Without it, there are no problems. With this advice in
place, I'm getting message that some package is unavailable. I remember
that not long time ago it worked even with this advice (I think
so). However, I'm still considering it a bug, because I don't see why
such an advice cannot be used.

Now, at least, we can tell where the problem really lies. It should be
easier now to understand why this happens.

* bug#20817: 25.0.50; Problems with upgrading of packages
@ 2015-06-18 17:26                 ` Artur Malabarba
From: Artur Malabarba @ 2015-06-18 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Mark Karpov; +Cc: 20817

Ok I think I see the problem. From the docstring of add-function:

‘:filter-args’    (lambda (&rest r) (apply OLDFUN (funcall FUNCTION r)))

However, you're using it as if it were this:

‘:filter-args’    (lambda (&rest r) (apply OLDFUN (apply FUNCTION r)))

Try changing your function to be:

(defun pkgi-filter-args (args)
  "How to filter arguments of `package-install' command.
PKG is passed to the command, while DONT-SELECT is always T, so
one can select any packages only by manually adding them to
`package-selected-packages' variable."
  (list (car args) t))

* bug#20817: 25.0.50; Problems with upgrading of packages
@ 2015-06-18 17:34                   ` Mark Karpov
From: Mark Karpov @ 2015-06-18 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: bruce.connor.am, 20817

Oh, this is so stupid for me to misinterpret the docs. It seemed
intuitive that filtering function should get arguments the same way as
original function does. The problem is solved now, I need to grep
:filter-args and fix it everywhere now in my config ;-) Thank you very
much for your help and your Emacs-related work!

* bug#20817: 25.0.50; Problems with upgrading of packages
@ 2015-06-18 17:59                     ` Artur Malabarba
From: Artur Malabarba @ 2015-06-18 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Mark Karpov; +Cc: 20817-done

Happy to help.