Daniel Colascione writes: >> And there are ways of adapting: convenient input methods for typing >> the characters, replacements for displaying them on terminals that >> cannot show the originals > > Can we make " match fancy quotes in isearch? And ditto for ` and ' which I guess should also match ‘ and ’, respectively. That's the downside of having two alternatives for marking symbols in comments and docstrings. And of course one wants that convenience also with search-forward, query-replace, grep, rgrep, occur, swiper, ag (3rd party), swiper (3rd party), ... Bye, Tassilo