all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* a mildly featured todo manager?
@ 2015-07-26 15:52 Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2015-07-26 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I hope to manage my todo list with emacs.  I see todo-mode.el which is
too simple (in particular, no concept of dependencies between tasks) and
org-mode which is far too complex and featureful (in particular it
messes with diary which I _do not_ want, to me these are quite separate
applications).

Is there anything in between?

* Re: a mildly featured todo manager?
@ 2015-07-26 19:15 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2015-07-26 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Zimmerman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Ian Zimmerman <itz@buug.org> writes:

Hi Ian,

> I hope to manage my todo list with emacs.  I see todo-mode.el which is
> too simple (in particular, no concept of dependencies between tasks)
> and org-mode which is far too complex and featureful (in particular it
> messes with diary which I _do not_ want, to me these are quite
> separate applications).

I think org can include your diary entries in its agenda buffers but
that's optional.  And I'm pretty sure it doesn't mess with your diary in
the sense that it would write to your diary file or something like that.

> Is there anything in between?

The EmacsWiki lists some alternatives although I don't know how
well-maintained those are.  I think org-mode has pretty much taken over
everything else in that category.

  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryTodo

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: a mildly featured todo manager?
@ 2015-07-26 19:33 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-07-26 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2015-07-26, at 17:52, Ian Zimmerman <itz@buug.org> wrote:

> I hope to manage my todo list with emacs.  I see todo-mode.el which is
> too simple (in particular, no concept of dependencies between tasks) and
> org-mode which is far too complex and featureful (in particular it
> messes with diary which I _do not_ want, to me these are quite separate
> applications).
>
> Is there anything in between?

I don't know.  However, Org-mode shouldn't mess with your diary unless
explicitly asked to.  (I don't know that for sure, since I don't use the
diary, but one of the design goals of Org-mode is not to impose any
feature on a user not wanting it, and it does it really well.)

Also, do not fear the complexity of Org - due to the design goal
mentioned above, you could just ignore the more advanced features and
treat it as a simple todo-list manager.  Though the fear that Org-mode
will gradually creep into your brain and take over more and more of your
life (starting with its digital part) may be legitimate;-).

Hth,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: a mildly featured todo manager?
@ 2015-07-26 22:14 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-07-26 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ian Zimmerman <itz@buug.org> writes:

> I hope to manage my todo list with emacs. I see
> todo-mode.el which is too simple (in particular, no
> concept of dependencies between tasks)

Dependencies! :)

A todo list in my mind isn't a complicated plan how to
rob a bank in a "Mission Impossible" episode - it is
support for not forgetting things, and remembering
them instantly when everything else is right!

Whenever you are the most creative/productive, there
is no time to thing what to do. Instead, just look at
the todo list and find tons of things, even tho a sec
ago it felt like there was "nothing to do" (very
frustrating) - instead, just dig in...

Also, when yo do something ELSE, it is very common to
realize "ah, here you should have THAT!" - but it is
better not to do "that" at that point, because your
brain/body is filled with "else", so better to do
"that" manually, and automatize "that" later, so next
time you do "else", you can just invoke it - actually
"later" is the situation described in the preceeding
paragraph...

So in this situation of realization of the missing
tool, you need a fast interface to the todo list, i.e.

    M-x todo RET do-what RET

Anyway, here is the source:

    Emacs: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/todo-did.el
    zsh:   http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/.zsh/todo