all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Good Emacs Package to Work with CVS?
@ 2015-09-01  2:06 York Zhao
From: York Zhao @ 2015-09-01  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

I'm very comfortable using git, especially using magit in Emacs. But
unfortunately I will have to use CVS at the company I'm currently with. Can
any
CVS veteran recommend a Emacs package to work with CVS efficiently which is
similar to magit? Is it feasible to still work on a local git repo and keep
it
in sync with the company's CVS repo?

Thanks in advance,

York

* Re: Good Emacs Package to Work with CVS?
@ 2015-09-01  2:35 ` Ian Zimmerman
From: Ian Zimmerman @ 2015-09-01  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2015-08-31 22:06 -0400, York Zhao wrote:

> recommend a Emacs package to work with CVS efficiently which is
> similar to magit? Is it feasible to still work on a local git repo and
> keep it in sync with the company's CVS repo?

There's something called PCL-CVS, which is included with Emacs.  I
use git.el not magit so I can't really say how similar it is.  Probably
not much.

As for shuttling between git and cvs, the Debian description for package
git-cvs says:

 The git cvsimport tool can incrementally import from a repository that
 is being actively developed and only requires remote access over CVS
 protocol. Unfortunately, in many situations the import leads to
 incorrect results. For reliable, one-shot imports, cvs2git from the
 cvs2svn package or parsecvs may be a better fit.

In short: I would not risk it.

* Re: Good Emacs Package to Work with CVS?
@ 2015-09-01  2:55   ` York Zhao
From: York Zhao @ 2015-09-01  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Thank you very much for your input Ian!

@ 2015-09-03 20:09 ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2015-09-03 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: York Zhao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

York Zhao <gtdplatform@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm very comfortable using git, especially using magit in Emacs. But
> unfortunately I will have to use CVS at the company I'm currently with. Can
> any
> CVS veteran recommend a Emacs package to work with CVS efficiently which is
> similar to magit? Is it feasible to still work on a local git repo and keep
> it
> in sync with the company's CVS repo?

CVS doesn't have that many commands.  The most important ones are add,
checkout, commit, diff, update and remove.  For one file you can do that
easily with VC-mode.  And there's PCL-CVS for more complex directory
level operations.

BR,
Robert Thorpe