all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#30103: docstring of read-only-mode doesn't seem to address most simplest case
@ 2018-01-14  1:09 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson
From: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson @ 2018-01-14  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 30103

The following docstring
-------------
read-only-mode is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
‘simple.el’.

It is bound to C-x C-q.

(read-only-mode &optional ARG)

Change whether the current buffer is read-only.
With prefix argument ARG, make the buffer read-only if ARG is
positive, otherwise make it writable.
-------------
doesn't seem to address the case
where one just does
M-x read-only-mode
which indeed makes the buffer read-only.

* bug#30103: docstring of read-only-mode doesn't seem to address most simplest case
@ 2018-04-17 20:48 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2018-04-17 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson; +Cc: 30103

積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <jidanni@jidanni.org> writes:

> The following docstring
> -------------
> read-only-mode is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
> ‘simple.el’.
>
> It is bound to C-x C-q.
>
> (read-only-mode &optional ARG)
>
> Change whether the current buffer is read-only.
> With prefix argument ARG, make the buffer read-only if ARG is
> positive, otherwise make it writable.
> -------------
> doesn't seem to address the case
> where one just does
> M-x read-only-mode
> which indeed makes the buffer read-only.

The first line of the doc string says what it does?  "Change whether the
current buffer is read-only."

* bug#30103: docstring of read-only-mode doesn't seem to address most simplest case
@ 2018-04-18  0:09   ` 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson
From: 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson @ 2018-04-18  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: 30103

Maybe I meant it should say 'toggle'. I forget.