all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* incremental search abandoned on mouse movements
@ 2018-10-29 13:52 Mick Bert
       [not found] ` <mailman.3011.1540825869.1284.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Mick Bert @ 2018-10-29 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am using
GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw scroll bars)
of 2018-09-18
on a RedHat machine through Xvnc TigerVNC 1.8.0, and RealVNC viewer 5.0.1
on windows 10

Since few days I've been observing a strange behavior: I start an
incremental search (C-s), and emacs hilights all the visible matches, but
as soon as I move the mouse pointer, the search is cancelled (just like I
pressed C-g).
Have I activated unconsciously a kind of option or function?
Have anyone experienced something similar?

--
Mick

* Re: incremental search abandoned on mouse movements
@ 2018-10-29 15:11 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.3011.1540825869.1284.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-10-29 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Mick Bert <micbert75@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 14:52:13 +0100
>
> Since few days I've been observing a strange behavior: I start an
> incremental search (C-s), and emacs hilights all the visible matches, but
> as soon as I move the mouse pointer, the search is cancelled (just like I
> pressed C-g).
> Have I activated unconsciously a kind of option or function?

What does "C-l" show you after the above?

@ 2018-10-29 15:29   ` Javier
From: Javier @ 2018-10-29 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> What does "C-l" show you after the above?

Just to clarify

C-h l, <f1> l (view-lossage)
Display last few input keystrokes and the commands run.

* Re: incremental search abandoned on mouse movements
@ 2018-10-29 15:52   ` Mick Bert
From: Mick Bert @ 2018-10-29 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eliz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Il giorno lun 29 ott 2018 alle ore 16:11 Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
ha scritto:

> > From: Mick Bert <micbert75@gmail.com>
> > Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 14:52:13 +0100
> >

> What does "C-l" show you after the above?

Just to clarify, Coes C-I means "lower-case L" or "upper-case i"?

--

@ 2018-10-29 15:56   ` Mick Bert
From: Mick Bert @ 2018-10-29 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

scritto:

> > From: Mick Bert <micbert75@gmail.com>
> > Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 14:52:13 +0100
> >
> > Since few days I've been observing a strange behavior: I start an
> > incremental search (C-s), and emacs hilights all the visible matches,
but
> > as soon as I move the mouse pointer, the search is cancelled (just like
> > pressed C-g).
> > Have I activated unconsciously a kind of option or function?
>
> What does "C-l" show you after the above?

Anyway I tried C-h L, and I obtained:

C-s [isearch-forward]
 C-w [isearch-yank-word-or-char]
 < [isearch-printing-char]
 <mouse-movement> [gud-tooltip-mouse-motion]
 <mouse-movement> [gud-tooltip-mouse-motion]
 <mouse-movement> [gud-tooltip-mouse-motion]
 <mouse-movement> [gud-tooltip-mouse-motion]
 TAB [c-indent-line-or-region]
 TAB [c-indent-line-or-region]
 C-h l [view-lossage]

Another test gives:

C-s [isearch-forward]
 b [isearch-printing-char]
 u [isearch-printing-char]
 f [isearch-printing-char]
 l [isearch-printing-char]
 e [isearch-printing-char]
 n [isearch-printing-char]
 g [isearch-printing-char]
 t [isearch-printing-char]
 h [isearch-printing-char]
 < [isearch-printing-char]
 <mouse-movement> [gud-tooltip-mouse-motion]
 <mouse-movement> [gud-tooltip-mouse-motion]
 <mouse-movement> [gud-tooltip-mouse-motion]
 C-h l [view-lossage]

Is it related to gdb-mode I am using in another buffer? Perhaps the tooltip
of gdb-mode?
--

@ 2018-10-29 16:54     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-10-29 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Mick Bert <micbert75@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 16:56:26 +0100
>
> C-s [isearch-forward]
>  b [isearch-printing-char]
>  u [isearch-printing-char]
>  f [isearch-printing-char]
>  l [isearch-printing-char]
>  e [isearch-printing-char]
>  n [isearch-printing-char]
>  g [isearch-printing-char]
>  t [isearch-printing-char]
>  h [isearch-printing-char]
>  < [isearch-printing-char]
>  <mouse-movement> [gud-tooltip-mouse-motion]
>  <mouse-movement> [gud-tooltip-mouse-motion]
>  <mouse-movement> [gud-tooltip-mouse-motion]
>  C-h l [view-lossage]
>
> Is it related to gdb-mode I am using in another buffer? Perhaps the tooltip
> of gdb-mode?

Yes, it looks like that.  But I cannot reproduce this if I enable
gud-tooltip-mode in another buffer.  Only if I search in the same
buffer where gud-tooltip-mode is enabled, I see the problem you
describe.

So in any case I think it's a bug, and you should report it.

* Re: incremental search abandoned on mouse movements
@ 2018-10-30  1:46     ` Garreau, Alexandre
From: Garreau, Alexandre @ 2018-10-30  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mick Bert; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2018-10-29 at 16:52, Mick Bert wrote:
> Il giorno lun 29 ott 2018 alle ore 16:11 Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> ha scritto:
>>
>> > From: Mick Bert <micbert75@gmail.com>
>> > Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 14:52:13 +0100
>> >

>> What does "C-l" show you after the above?
>>
> Just to clarify, Coes C-I means "lower-case L" or "upper-case i"?

C-l (was later corrected in C-h l) is “lower-case L”.

If you have doubt on case, in emacs, at any time you might use C-u or
C-l (lowercase L) to make next word respectively uppercase or lowercase.
For other special characters, the command `describe-char' might give
some interesting informations about the character under point.

Fyi, there are some special fonts made to easily distinguish these,
often known as “programmer fonts”.  For instance “DejaVu Sans Mono”
(often default, it is here) is of these, there are also others such as
“Inconsolata” or “Droid Sans Mono”.  These are made so to try to help
you make the difference between “l”, “I” and “1”, or “O” and “0”, for
instance.

* Re: incremental search abandoned on mouse movements
@ 2018-10-30  1:47     ` Garreau, Alexandre
From: Garreau, Alexandre @ 2018-10-30  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mick Bert; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2018-10-29 at 16:56, Mick Bert wrote:
> Il giorno lun 29 ott 2018 alle ore 16:11 Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> ha
> scritto:
>>
>> > From: Mick Bert <micbert75@gmail.com>
>> > Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 14:52:13 +0100
>> >
>> > Since few days I've been observing a strange behavior: I start an
>> > incremental search (C-s), and emacs hilights all the visible matches,
> but
>> > as soon as I move the mouse pointer, the search is cancelled (just like
>> > pressed C-g).
>> > Have I activated unconsciously a kind of option or function?
>>
>> What does "C-l" show you after the above?
>>
> Anyway I tried C-h L, and I obtained:

you mean « C-h l » ?  C-h L is different and sets up language
environment.

> Is it related to gdb-mode I am using in another buffer? Perhaps the tooltip
> of gdb-mode?

From what I read, yes.