all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* dimensions when doing text-scale-increase, and including minibuffer in text-scale-increase
@ 2019-12-10 19:28 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2019-12-10 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

question 1:

if i want to know the usable default dimensions in human lines and
columns terms, i can do:

(let ((r (list (frame-width)
                 (frame-height))))
    (message "%s =frame width and height =(should be (110 32) at
/native resolution 1440/ with /dpi of 216/)"
             r)

but if i do text-scale-increase the result is the same.  i want to
know the same data about what is /there now/.

question 2 (only silghtly related):

i want to do text-scale increase on exactly the active buffer and
"its" minibuffer, but not any other buffers.  i'd prefer modeline not
increase, however.

whenever i switch back to the increased buffer, i want it and "its"
echo area / minibuffer to still be increased.

thank you.

* Re: dimensions when doing text-scale-increase, and including minibuffer in text-scale-increase
@ 2019-12-10 19:37 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-12-10 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 12:28:29 -0700
>
> question 1:
>
> if i want to know the usable default dimensions in human lines and
> columns terms, i can do:
>
> (let ((r (list (frame-width)
>                  (frame-height))))
>     (message "%s =frame width and height =(should be (110 32) at
> /native resolution 1440/ with /dpi of 216/)"
>              r)
>
> but if i do text-scale-increase the result is the same.

Yes, because frame-width and frame-height return values in units of
the canonical character size.

> i want to know the same data about what is /there now/.

Then use frame-pixel-width and frame-pixel-height, and divide by
default-font-width and default-font-height to get the results in
columns and lines.

> i want to do text-scale increase on exactly the active buffer and
> "its" minibuffer, but not any other buffers.  i'd prefer modeline not
> increase, however.
>
> whenever i switch back to the increased buffer, i want it and "its"
> echo area / minibuffer to still be increased.

For the echo area and the minibuffer you will have to use hooks,
because switching to another buffer doesn't switch the echo-area or
minibuffer.  IOW, there's no separate echo-area/minibuffer for each
buffer.

* Re: dimensions when doing text-scale-increase, and including minibuffer in text-scale-increase
@ 2019-12-22 21:05   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2019-12-22 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 12/10/19, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> For the echo area and the minibuffer you will have to use hooks,
> because switching to another buffer doesn't switch the echo-area or
> minibuffer.  IOW, there's no separate echo-area/minibuffer for each
> buffer.

thank you.

i decided i am about equally ok with increasing all buffers including
minibuffer / echo area.  i could not find a buffer switch hook.
however, i can't seem to find minibuffer or echo area buffer in the
buffer list:

(dolist (buffer (buffer-list))
    (with-current-buffer buffer
      (text-scale-increase amount)))

works for only regular buffers.  i presume they are supposed to be
done separately?

i noticed that (default-font-width) is not in emacs 24.  i presume it
got added in a later version.

* Re: dimensions when doing text-scale-increase, and including minibuffer in text-scale-increase
@ 2019-12-23 13:23     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-12-23 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2019 14:05:10 -0700
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> i could not find a buffer switch hook.

I think you want window-configuration-change-hook.

> however, i can't seem to find minibuffer or echo area buffer in the
> buffer list:
>
> (dolist (buffer (buffer-list))
>     (with-current-buffer buffer
>       (text-scale-increase amount)))
>
> works for only regular buffers.  i presume they are supposed to be
> done separately?

Not sure, but buffer-list definitely returns minibuffers as well.

> i noticed that (default-font-width) is not in emacs 24.  i presume it
> got added in a later version.

Yes, in Emacs 25.

* Re: dimensions when doing text-scale-increase, and including minibuffer in text-scale-increase
@ 2019-12-23 15:21     ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2019-12-23 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> however, i can't seem to find minibuffer or echo area buffer in the
> buffer list:

AFAIK minibuffers get reset to defaults all the time, and new
minibuffers can be created on the fly anyway, so you want to do this in
a hook (`minibuffer-setup-hook' probably).  Dunno about echo areas.

Michael.