all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Gnu emacs for (shudder, spit) Windows
@ 2002-11-10  8:19 Jive Dadson
From: Jive Dadson @ 2002-11-10  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Howdy folks.  I would like to run a couple of gnu programs on my work computer, which is all MS Windows 2000 Pro.  I don't have gcc available.  Only VC++ 6.0.  I would like to run gnu emacs and bison.  Also, I would like a version of gnu emacs that is scriptable with Python.

Is there any painless way to do this?  I've downloaded an emacs and a bison distribution.  Taking a quick peek at the files, it looks like building either one with VC++ 6.0 would be a project.  Unfortunately, I don't have time for a project.

Is there any place I can get these things already instrumented for the world of Billy Gates?

The email address in the header is munged.  I'm jdadson (AT) ix (DOT) netcom (DOT) com.

Best regards and tootle-oo.

Jive

* Re: Gnu emacs for (shudder, spit) Windows
@ 2002-11-10  9:23 ` Ekkehard Goerlach
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ekkehard Goerlach @ 2002-11-10  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs.html

and

http://www.cygwin.com/

would be s good start.

Ekkehard
--
Ekkehard Görlach                    Tumringerstrasse 287
e.goerlach@computer.org             D-79539 Lörrach

* Re: Gnu emacs for (shudder, spit) Windows
@ 2002-11-10 10:23 ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2002-11-10 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jive Dadson <sdadfas@sadfdsfa.invalid> wrote on Sun, 10 Nov 2002 00:19:23
-0800:
> Howdy folks.  I would like to run a couple of gnu programs on my work
> computer, which is all MS Windows 2000 Pro.  I don't have gcc
> available.  Only VC++ 6.0.  I would like to run gnu emacs and bison.
> Also, I would like a version of gnu emacs that is scriptable with
> Python.

> Is there any painless way to do this?  I've downloaded an emacs and a
> bison distribution.  Taking a quick peek at the files, it looks like
> building either one with VC++ 6.0 would be a project.  Unfortunately, I
> don't have time for a project.

There is a prebuilt binary distribution of Emacs for Windows-NT and
friends.  It is in <ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/latest>.  To be
recommended is the "fullbin" file.  The instructions are one directory
higher, in <ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/README>.  You will also
need Windows versions of tar and gzip, but I think there are pointers for
these programs in the README.

As for Bison, I wouldn't know.

> Best regards and tootle-oo.

And to you too, sir!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter

* Re: Gnu emacs for (shudder, spit) Windows
@ 2002-11-10 10:48 ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2002-11-10 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jive Dadson <sdadfas@sadfdsfa.invalid> writes:

> Howdy folks.  I would like to run a couple of gnu programs on my work
> computer, which is all MS Windows 2000 Pro.  I don't have gcc
> available.  Only VC++ 6.0.  I would like to run gnu emacs and bison.

  I'm told that Emacs compiles just fine with VC++.  It also compiles
  with mingw.  I have no idea if bison runs on windows.

> Also, I would like a version of gnu emacs that is scriptable with
> Python.

  There isn't such a version.  You'd have to write one yourself.

> Is there any painless way to do this?  I've downloaded an emacs and a
> bison distribution.  Taking a quick peek at the files, it looks like
> building either one with VC++ 6.0 would be a project.  Unfortunately,
> I don't have time for a project.

  Look in the nt subdirectory of the unpackaged distibution for install
  instructions.

> Is there any place I can get these things already instrumented for the
> world of Billy Gates?

  Emacs is available precompiled for windows on a ftp server close to
  you.  Look in the gnu/windows/emacs/ directory.

  See <http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html> for a list of mirrors.

--
Booting... /vmemacs.el

* Re: Gnu emacs for (shudder, spit) Windows
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-11-11 14:32 ` Syver Enstad
From: Syver Enstad @ 2002-11-11 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jive Dadson <sdadfas@sadfdsfa.invalid> writes:

> Howdy folks.  I would like to run a couple of gnu programs on my work
> computer, which is all MS Windows 2000 Pro.  I don't have gcc
> available.  Only VC++ 6.0.  I would like to run gnu emacs and bison.
> Also,I would like a version of gnu emacs that is scriptable with
> Python.

I am currently running Windows 2000 pro, I don't use GCC and I have
VC++ 6.0 and I am scripting GNU Emacs using Francois Pinard's
excellent pymacs package. Google for Pymacs, I believe that the setup
scripts for pymacs should work on Windows 2000 now. If they don't
contact me and I will help you get pymacs up and running. As other's
have pointed out you should install cygwin to get bison. Put cygwin's
bin directory in your Windows path variable to let emacs access the
cygwin programs that you need.

--

Vennlig hilsen

Syver Enstad