all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* M-x grep/compile clobbers other buffers
@ 2003-01-13 17:37 Dan Debertin
From: Dan Debertin @ 2003-01-13 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pressing RET or C-c C-c in a *grep* or *compile* window appears to
call find-file-other-window, which is fine, except it routinely
opens the file in other windows I'm using, like *shell*. Is there an
exclusion-list for this function that will cause it to skip buffers
with certain names?

Thanks,

Dan
--
/^Dan Debertin$/
airboss@nodewarrior.org  | Did I sleep a little too late,

* Re: M-x grep/compile clobbers other buffers
@ 2003-01-13 20:03 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-13 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Debertin <airboss@nodewarrior.org> writes:

> Pressing RET or C-c C-c in a *grep* or *compile* window appears to
> call find-file-other-window, which is fine, except it routinely
> opens the file in other windows I'm using, like *shell*. Is there an
> exclusion-list for this function that will cause it to skip buffers
> with certain names?

You can dedicate a window to a buffer, M-x apropos RET dedicat RET.
It's not a command, I think, so you have to invoke some Lisp.

Does this help?
--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: M-x grep/compile clobbers other buffers
@ 2003-01-13 20:28   ` Dan Debertin
From: Dan Debertin @ 2003-01-13 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> You can dedicate a window to a buffer, M-x apropos RET dedicat RET.
> It's not a command, I think, so you have to invoke some Lisp.
>
> Does this help?

Yes, that's exactly what I was looking for. This appears to do what I
want --

(add-hook 'shell-mode-hook
	  '((lambda ()
	      (set-window-dedicated-p (selected-window) t))))

Thanks; I knew there had to be something for that.

Dan