all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* progressive scrolling
@ 2003-01-30 23:01 Jérôme Bouat
From: Jérôme Bouat @ 2003-01-30 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

How can emacs scroll a line progressively
without scrolling one line at a time ?
I like this feature because
it is easier to read a text
when it doesn't jump.
Some other editors do it.
How to set emacs for it ?

Thanks.

Jérôme

* Re: progressive scrolling
@ 2003-01-31 16:46 ` Peter Lee
       [not found]   ` <87lm11ggc7.fsf@kuntu.zangpo.org>
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-01-31 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jérôme Bouat <jerome.bouat@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> How can emacs scroll a line progressively
> without scrolling one line at a time ?
> I like this feature because
> it is easier to read a text
> when it doesn't jump.
> Some other editors do it.
> How to set emacs for it ?

Perhaps this is what you want:
(setq scroll-step 1)

* Re: progressive scrolling
@ 2003-01-31 18:33 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2003-01-31 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jérôme Bouat <jerome.bouat@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> How can emacs scroll a line progressively
> without scrolling one line at a time ?
> I like this feature because
> it is easier to read a text
> when it doesn't jump.
> Some other editors do it.
> How to set emacs for it ?

Would you mean something like the effect from the following?

M-: (dotimes (i 20) (set-window-vscroll nil (* i 0.05)) (sit-for 0.05)) RET

* Re: progressive scrolling
       [not found]   ` <87lm11ggc7.fsf@kuntu.zangpo.org>
@ 2003-01-31 22:17     ` Jérôme Bouat
From: Jérôme Bouat @ 2003-01-31 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Schmitz wrote:

> Peter Lee <spam@nospam.org> writes:
>
>> Jérôme Bouat <jerome.bouat@wanadoo.fr> writes:
>>
>>> How can emacs scroll a line progressively
>>> without scrolling one line at a time ?
>>
>> Perhaps this is what you want:
>> (setq scroll-step 1)
>
> ,-----[ C-h v scroll-step ]
> |     [ ... ]
> | If you want scrolling to always be a line at a time, you should set
> |   `scroll-conservatively' to a large value rather than set this to 1.
> `-----
>
> (setq scroll-conservatively '1023)

Thanks, I used (setq scroll-step 1)
instead of what you advised.
I corrected it from now.

For what I wanted,
see the response of David Kastrup.

* Re: progressive scrolling
@ 2003-02-01 19:26   ` D. Goel
From: D. Goel @ 2003-02-01 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> M-: (dotimes (i 20) (set-window-vscroll nil (* i 0.05)) (sit-for
> 0.05)) RET

[plug] ...

similar "progressiv scrolling" behavior is in a library called vel.el
(see gnu.emacs.sources)...  I am so used to vel now, that haven't used
C-n or C-v in a while...

DG                                 http://deego.gnufans.org/~deego/