all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* evaluating .emacs file after revision
@ 2003-04-23 16:40 Hugh Lawson
From: Hugh Lawson @ 2003-04-23 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

What is the most disciplined way to do this without restarting emacs?

--to debug the revised file

--to make it effective in the running session of emacs

I've looked, but I can't find the documentation on this.

--
Hugh Lawson
hlawson@triad.rr.com

* Re: evaluating .emacs file after revision
@ 2003-04-23 16:46 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2003-04-23 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hugh Lawson <hlawson@triad.rr.com> writes:

> What is the most disciplined way to do this without restarting emacs?
>
> --to debug the revised file
>
> --to make it effective in the running session of emacs
>
> I've looked, but I can't find the documentation on this.

If you just added/changed a single Form, place your cursor behind it
and press C-x C-e.

* Re: evaluating .emacs file after revision
@ 2003-04-23 17:01 ` Marco Parrone
From: Marco Parrone @ 2003-04-23 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: evaluating .emacs file after revision
@ 2003-04-25 12:40 ` Lute Kamstra
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2003-04-25 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hugh Lawson <hlawson@triad.rr.com> writes:

> What is the most disciplined way to do this without restarting emacs?
>
> --to debug the revised file
>
> --to make it effective in the running session of emacs
>
> I've looked, but I can't find the documentation on this.

If you changed more than a few lines in your .emacs, you can do
M-x eval-buffer in the .emacs buffer.  Debugging Emacs Lisp is
described in the GNU Emacs Lisp Reference Manual.  Type
C-h i d m elisp m debugging if you have its info file installed.
It is not (yet) packaged together with Emacs.  A copy can be
obtained from http://www.gnu.org/manual/elisp/

Lute.

--
(spook) => "ISEC embassy bemd"
(insert-file-contents "~/.signature") => (error "`~/.signature' too rude")