all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Escaping carets?
@ 2003-09-29 18:32 Björn Lindström
From: Björn Lindström @ 2003-09-29 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

I want something like this in my gnus-message-archive-group. I seem to
get something wrong concerning the caret in regexps however, since it
doesn't match my nnfolders as long as I include it. If I just use
"nnfolder:" instead it works, but it's not pretty. How do I escape that
caret so that it works?

(if (string-match "^nnfolder:" group)
    group
  "outgoing")

--
Björn Lindström <bkhl@elektrubadur.se>
http://bkhl.elektrubadur.se/

Hearken to the new *Elektrubadur* demo at http://elektrubadur.se/

* Re: Escaping carets?
@ 2003-10-01  1:30 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-10-01  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

bkhl@elektrubadur.se (Björn Lindström) writes:

> I want something like this in my gnus-message-archive-group. I seem to
> get something wrong concerning the caret in regexps however, since it
> doesn't match my nnfolders as long as I include it. If I just use
> "nnfolder:" instead it works, but it's not pretty. How do I escape that
> caret so that it works?

You shouldn't escape the caret -- I assume that your groups don't
actually include a literal caret.

What does string-match return when you insert the _full_ name of one
of your nnfolder groups, e.g.

      (string-match "^nnfolder:" "nnfolder:foo.bar")

> (if (string-match "^nnfolder:" group)
>     group
>   "outgoing")

You need a pair of parens wrapped around that.

* Re: Escaping carets?
@ 2003-10-01 12:14   ` Björn Lindström
From: Björn Lindström @ 2003-10-01 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

>> (if (string-match "^nnfolder:" group)
>>     group
>>   "outgoing")
>
> You need a pair of parens wrapped around that.

That was just a part of the whole thing. The whole should look like this:

(setq gnus-message-archive-group '((if (equal group "")
                                       (if (message-news-p)
                                           "outgoing"
                                         "misc")
                                     (if (string-match "nnfolder:" group)
                                         group
                                       "outgoing")
                                     "outgoing")))

> What does string-match return when you insert the _full_ name of one
> of your nnfolder groups, e.g.
>
>       (string-match "^nnfolder:" "nnfolder:foo.bar")

It returns 0, which I assume is what should happen.

--
Björn Lindström <bkhl@elektrubadur.se>
http://bkhl.elektrubadur.se/

Download the new *Elektrubadur* demo from http://elektrubadur.se/

* Re: Escaping carets?
@ 2003-10-01 23:51     ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-10-01 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

bkhl@elektrubadur.se (Björn Lindström) writes:

> That was just a part of the whole thing. The whole should look like
> this:
>
> (setq gnus-message-archive-group '((if (equal group "")
>                                        (if (message-news-p)
>                                            "outgoing"
>                                          "misc")
>                                      (if (string-match "nnfolder:" group)
>                                          group
>                                        "outgoing")
>                                      "outgoing")))

But this will never return the group name -- unless `group' is the
empty string it will always return "outgoing",

(let ((group "nnfolder:foo.bar"))
  (if (equal group "")
      (if (message-news-p)
	  "outgoing"
	"misc")
    (if (string-match "nnfolder:" group)
	group
      "outgoing")
    "outgoing"))

=> "outgoing"

You need to remove the last "outgoing".

* Re: Escaping carets?
@ 2003-10-02  0:06       ` Björn Lindström
From: Björn Lindström @ 2003-10-02  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

> But this will never return the group name -- unless `group' is the
> empty string it will always return "outgoing",

Oops, bad logic. I played around a bit more and ended up with something
that works. Thanks for the help.