all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* no connection lisp-mode buffer and *inferior-lisp*
@ 2003-10-12 10:23 Orm Finnendahl
From: Orm Finnendahl @ 2003-10-12 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

since upgrading to emacs 21.3 I can't get the connection between a
source lisp file and an inferior lisp buffer. It used to work fine
before.

I started up an inferior lisp with "M-x run-lisp", which establishes
an *inferior-lisp* buffer. Trying to evaluate an expression in a
lisp-mode buffer, I get the error "You must start an inferior LISP
with run-ilisp" in the command buffer. Doing that and specifying
"lisp" as the Dialect won't help either.

Below is my configuration concerning lisp/scheme in my .emacs.

I had the same problem with scheme but found out that this goes away
if I switch to scheme-mode in an arbitrary buffer *before* issuing
"M-x run-scheme". After that it works with all scheme-mode buffers. I
suspect some scheme-mode hook taking care of establishing a link
between scheme mode buffers and the scheme process but couldn't find
the culprit. Now I just have (scheme-mode) in my .emacs as a
workaround. I'd rather solve that cleaner though.

Thanx for any hints,
Orm

(setq inferior-lisp-program "/usr/local/bin/clisp")
(load-library "ilisp-scheme-easy-menu")
(setq scheme-program-name "guile -l /usr/share/guile/site/siteinit.scm")
(setq guile-program "guile -l /usr/share/guile/site/siteinit.scm")

         ;; Add new keybindings: C-x C-e evaluates the *next* form,
         ;; C-x C-m macroexpands the next form.
         (defun lisp-eval-sexp (&optional and-go)
           "Send the next sexp to the inferior Lisp process.
            Prefix argument means switch to the Lisp buffer afterwards."
           (interactive "P")
           (lisp-eval-region (point)
                             (save-excursion (forward-sexp) (point))
                             and-go
         ) )
         (defun lisp-macroexpand-region (start end &optional and-go)
           "Macroexpand the current region in the inferior Lisp process.
            Prefix argument means switch to the Lisp buffer afterwards."
           (interactive "r\nP")
           (comint-send-string
            (inferior-lisp-proc)
            (format "(macroexpand-1 (quote %s))\n" (buffer-substring start end))
           )
           (if and-go (switch-to-lisp t))
         )
         (defun lisp-macroexpand-sexp (&optional and-go)
           "Macroexpand the next sexp in the inferior Lisp process.
            Prefix argument means switch to the Lisp buffer afterwards."
           (interactive "P")
           (lisp-macroexpand-region (point)
                                    (save-excursion (forward-sexp) (point))
                                    and-go
         ) )
         ;; Define the great keybindings.
         (inferior-lisp-install-letter-bindings)

* no connection lisp-mode buffer and *inferior-lisp*
@ 2003-10-15 10:34 Orm Finnendahl
From: Orm Finnendahl @ 2003-10-15 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I posted the message below a couple of days ago and didn't get any
response. I guess not many people on this list are using ilisp but
maybe someone can redirect me to some place where I could get help?

--
Orm

---------------------- Begin forwarded message -------------------

[...]

---------------------- End forwarded message --------------------------

* Re: no connection lisp-mode buffer and *inferior-lisp*
       [not found] <mailman.1725.1066214358.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-10-15 12:04 ` Gunter Bengel
From: Gunter Bengel @ 2003-10-15 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Orm Finnendahl <finnendahl@folkwang-hochschule.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I posted the message below a couple of days ago and didn't get any
> response. I guess not many people on this list are using ilisp but
> maybe someone can redirect me to some place where I could get help?

Try in comp.lang.lisp. I´m sure the people there ca n and will help
you

Gunter

--
Gunter Bengel  <bengel@math.uni-muenster.de>
Mathematisches Institut der WWU Muenster

@ 2003-10-15 18:54 ` John Paul Wallington
From: John Paul Wallington @ 2003-10-15 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Orm Finnendahl <finnendahl@folkwang-hochschule.de> wrote:

> I started up an inferior lisp with "M-x run-lisp", which establishes
> an *inferior-lisp* buffer. Trying to evaluate an expression in a
> lisp-mode buffer, I get the error "You must start an inferior LISP
> with run-ilisp" in the command buffer. Doing that and specifying
> "lisp" as the Dialect won't help either.

Pressing TAB at the Dialect: prompt will offer completions, such as
"sbcl" or "clisp-hs".  Pick a dialect that you have installed.

@ 2003-10-16 14:56 ` Ivan Boldyrev
From: Ivan Boldyrev @ 2003-10-16 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8532 day of my life Orm Finnendahl wrote:
> I started up an inferior lisp with "M-x run-lisp", which establishes
                                          ^^^^^^^^
[skipped]

> with run-ilisp" in the command buffer. Doing that and specifying
       ^^^^^^^^^
Do you see any difference? :)

M-x run-lisp is function of standard Emacs Lisp mode, while M-x run-ilisp
is function of ILisp, and they are are not compatible.

BTW, you can run CLisp with M-x clisp-hs, Guile with M-x guile, and so
on.

--
Ivan Boldyrev

                        Today is the first day of the rest of your life.