all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Alt Gr problems
@ 2003-11-10  9:54 Barman Brakjoller
From: Barman Brakjoller @ 2003-11-10  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a problem executing key combinations like C-c C-\ because to
reach the backslash on my keyboard with Swedish keyboard layout I have
to use Alt Gr (the \ is to the right of the zero-button on the top
row) So in my case C-\ would be C-<AltGr>-\. But it does not
work.

To reach the @ character I also have to press Alt Gr, but things like
M-@ still work (where I hold down the Alt, Alt Gr and 2 keys at the
same time).

So it works together with M (alt) but not with C (Ctrl).

Why is this so and can I fix it?

I'm using Emacs 21.2.1 on Windows 2000.

* Re: Alt Gr problems
@ 2003-11-10 11:03 ` Marc Girod
From: Marc Girod @ 2003-11-10 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

BB> Why is this so and can I fix it?

BB> I'm using Emacs 21.2.1 on Windows 2000.

I know this is a FAQ on Unix/X.
On Windows 2000, well, good luck.

--
Marc Girod        P.O. Box 323        Voice:  +358-71 80 25581
Nokia NBI         00045 NOKIA Group   Mobile: +358-50 38 78415

* Re: Alt Gr problems
@ 2003-11-10 22:27   ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2003-11-10 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marc Girod <girod@shire.ntc.nokia.com> writes:

> BB> Why is this so and can I fix it?
>
> BB> I'm using Emacs 21.2.1 on Windows 2000.
>
> I know this is a FAQ on Unix/X.

Umm, no, this is a newsgroup for users of GNUS Emacs to get some help
with using the application. And a very, very helpful one at that IME.

BB might be able to find something in the Help and the documentation
about keybindings, although I'd suspect that someone in this newsgroup
will just be able to give him the code to put in his .emacs file.

* Binding of "this" (was: Alt Gr problems)
@ 2003-11-11  8:12     ` Marc Girod
From: Marc Girod @ 2003-11-11  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim> Umm, no, this is a newsgroup for users of GNUS Emacs

Hmm. "This" (I let it to you to resolve the ambiguity of the level at
which to decode this "this") is a demonstrative pronoun (call it a
pointer), and was bound to the *question* made (FAQ opens up primarily
as: Frequently Asked Question).

This question, when in the context of X/Unix, is a frequent one which
has standard and well-known answers.

--

@ 2003-11-11 10:07     ` Barman Brakjoller
From: Barman Brakjoller @ 2003-11-11 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > I know this is a FAQ on Unix/X.
>
> Umm, no, this is a newsgroup for users of GNUS Emacs to get some help
> with using the application. And a very, very helpful one at that IME.

I also read his comment like that until I understand that what he
meant was that what I was asking can be found as an FAQ for Unix, not
that I posted in the wrong group.

Well, I haven't got any ideas to solve my Alt Gr problems yet, but I
guess I have to go on a hunt.

BB

* Re: Alt Gr problems
@ 2003-12-07 16:57 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-12-07 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

brakjoller@hotmail.com (Barman Brakjoller) writes:

> I have a problem executing key combinations like C-c C-\ because to
> reach the backslash on my keyboard with Swedish keyboard layout I have
> to use Alt Gr (the \ is to the right of the zero-button on the top
> row) So in my case C-\ would be C-<AltGr>-\. But it does not
> work.

One approach for this problem is to switch your kbd to a US layout.
You can keep the Swedish layout as an alternative, I understand -- I
know very little about Windows.  But I vaguely recall it is fairly
easy to switch the layouts.

You can use the wonderful AllChars program for typing Swedish letters
with a US layout.  You press and then release the Ctrl key and then
you type two other keys and that will insert a non-ascii character
into the program you are using.  For example, Ctrl " a is the standard
shortcut for ä, and Ctrl a e is the standard shortcut for æ.

I've switched from German to US layout at work, with AllChars, and I
don't want to go back again.  Drives my colleagues crazy (keycaps are
similar to UK (not US) layout with Indic also printed on them, actual
kbd layout is heavily customized US), but what the heck ;-)

Kai