all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* remote login from SGI
@ 2004-03-01 20:40 rbaxter
From: rbaxter @ 2004-03-01 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear All,

I am logging in to a linux box (Mandrake 9.2) from an SGI (Octane) running IRIX
(6.5.17m) via SSH. I am trying to run Emacs (21.2) remotely using the command:

> emacs -nw foo.tex

Firstly I got the error message:
  emacs: Terminal type iris-ansi is not defined.

copying the termifo 'iris-ansi' from the local machine (from
/usr/lib/terminfo/i) to the remote machine (to /usr/share/terminfo/i) solved
that problem, but still emacs does not appear to load properly: I cannot move
the cursor out of the minibuffer, RET, CTRL do not work properly, etc.

I can spawn an xterm and login to the linux box and run emacs that way, but here
the screen does not appear to refresh itself properly, so that there appear to
be large gaps while scrolling through documents (although <C-l> seems to fix
this).

any advice on how to get iris-ansi to work properly please let me know,

regards,

Richard Baxter

P.S. how to access the menus in the terminal version of Emacs?

* Re: remote login from SGI
       [not found] <mailman.897.1078195544.340.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-03-02  2:46 ` Billy O'Connor
From: Billy O'Connor @ 2004-03-02  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

rbaxter@uchicago.edu writes:

>   emacs: Terminal type iris-ansi is not defined.

export TERM=linux; emacs -nw

> P.S. how to access the menus in the terminal version of Emacs?

That'd be F10 here.

--
GNU/Linux revenues last quarter: $1 Billion.
micros~1  revenues last quarter: $4 Billion.

* Re: remote login from SGI
@ 2004-03-02  3:03     ` Billy O'Connor
From: Billy O'Connor @ 2004-03-02  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Cor Gest <cor@clsnet.nl> writes:

>> > P.S. how to access the menus in the terminal version of Emacs?
>>
>> That'd be F10 here.
>
> yep on the CLI of the same machine.
>
> not allways in a remote-term , ESC-` (ESC Back-tick)
>
> (it was stated in the Fine Manual...;-)

Wow.  I never knew that.  Thank you.  :)

* Re: remote login from SGI
@ 2004-03-02  3:17   ` Cor Gest
From: Cor Gest @ 2004-03-02  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some hopefully ableminded and witty human entity
disguising itself as: Billy O'Connor <billyoc@gnuyork.org> wrote :

> rbaxter@uchicago.edu writes:
>
> >   emacs: Terminal type iris-ansi is not defined.
> >
> export TERM=linux; emacs -nw

> > P.S. how to access the menus in the terminal version of Emacs?
>
> That'd be F10 here.

yep on the CLI of the same machine.

not allways in a remote-term , ESC-` (ESC Back-tick)

(it was stated in the Fine Manual...;-)

cor

--
          Artificial intelligence has no cure for human stupidity
(setq reply-to (concatenate 'string "Cor Gest " "<cor" '(#\@)  "clsnet.nl>"))

* Re: remote login from SGI
@ 2004-03-02  3:41       ` Cor Gest
From: Cor Gest @ 2004-03-02  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some hopefully ableminded and witty human entity
disguising itself as: Billy O'Connor <billyoc@gnuyork.org> wrote :

> > not allways in a remote-term , ESC-` (ESC Back-tick)
> >
> > (it was stated in the Fine Manual...;-)
>
> Wow.  I never knew that.  Thank you.  :)

Yep, not vy used nowadays with all the Whizz-bang-hoopla
3D-surround-Sound moving images screens, huh ;-))

But another thing I suffered is color-changes in remotes.
I just go back to TERM=vt100 and used the back-tick and all
odd- off-color stuff is gone too.

But you could install an enhanced /etc/termcap on the remote linux-box
it surely would have an irix-term entry.

This link has an load of info on termcap stuff.
http://www.aplawrence.com/Unixart/termcap.html

cor

--

@ 2004-03-02 17:35   ` rbaxter
From: rbaxter @ 2004-03-02 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Billy O'Connor, Cor Gest

Dear Billy,

'export TERM=linux' gets Emacs to load but there are no menus and most things
don't work, like Alt, F10, arrow keys (CTRL key works now though). I get better
results with 'export TERM=ansi' but still not as good as when I spawn an xterm
on the local machine before ssh login (F10 works there, thanks v. much).

Q. I cp'ed the iris-ansi files into /usr/share/terminfo/i and /etc/terminfo/i on
the linux box, and I checked and found that 'iris-ansi' defn is in the
/etc/termcap file on the linux box. Could the problem be on the local SGI, it
doesn't have a 'linux' or 'ansi' entry in its /usr/lib/terminfo directory? I
tried cp'ing the appropriate entries from the remote box and then setting the
environment variable in the local shell before I ssh'ed. The terminal type was
recognized on the remoate machine, but still Emacs didn't work properly. Setting
the environment variable to 'xterm' within a native SGI shell window does not
work the same as spawning a new xterm window on the SGI before ssh'ing to the
linux box.

Finally, using xterm I have a basically functional Emacs session, but the
minibuffer is not refreshed properly. For instance, if I type C-x C-f to open a
file, the path does not appear in the minibuffer where I can edit it, to get
this I have to go via F10 f o to use the menu system.

Any advice appreciated.

regards,

Richard Baxter