all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to customize prompt color in *shell* ?
@ 2004-11-08 22:31 KKramsch
From: KKramsch @ 2004-11-08 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

How can one change the color of the prompt in Emacs' interactive
shell?  For some reason, I'm getting a dark blue prompt over a
black background which is very hard to read (I'm running emacs
-nw).  (The commands I type at the prompt appear in light gray, so
that's OK.)

Thanks!

	Karl

--
Sent from a spam-bucket account; I check it once in a blue moon.  If
you still want to e-mail me, cut out the extension from my address,

* Re: How to customize prompt color in *shell* ?
@ 2004-11-09  0:35 ` V. L. Simpson
From: V. L. Simpson @ 2004-11-09  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > How can one change the color of the prompt in Emacs'
    > interactive shell?  For some reason, I'm getting a dark
    > blue prompt over a black background which is very hard to
    > read (I'm running emacs -nw).  (The commands I type at the
    > prompt appear in light gray, so that's OK.)

M-x customize-face RET comint-highlight-prompt
I used M-x list-faces-display to find that.

vls

* Re: How to customize prompt color in *shell* ?
@ 2004-11-09  0:59   ` KKramsch
From: KKramsch @ 2004-11-09  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <87oei75066.fsf@ghidra.localhost> "V. L. Simpson" <vls@freeshell.org> writes:

>    > How can one change the color of the prompt in Emacs'
>    > interactive shell?  For some reason, I'm getting a dark
>    > blue prompt over a black background which is very hard to
>    > read (I'm running emacs -nw).  (The commands I type at the
>    > prompt appear in light gray, so that's OK.)

>M-x customize-face RET comint-highlight-prompt
>I used M-x list-faces-display to find that.

Hey, that's a 2-for-1 answer.  I really appreciate that!  Thank
you.

	Karl

--

@ 2004-11-09 14:17   ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2004-11-09 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

>     > How can one change the color of the prompt in Emacs'
>     > interactive shell?  For some reason, I'm getting a dark
>     > blue prompt over a black background which is very hard to
>     > read (I'm running emacs -nw).  (The commands I type at the
>     > prompt appear in light gray, so that's OK.)
>
> M-x customize-face RET comint-highlight-prompt
> I used M-x list-faces-display to find that.

Perhaps. You can also use the standard color codes:

[pascal@naiad encours]$ . ~/.ansicodes
[pascal@naiad encours]$ export PS1="$RED$WHITE_BACK$PS1$NORMAL"
[pascal@naiad encours]$ # <== this appears in red over white.

~/.ansicodes contains:

#http://aspell.net/charsets/iso6429.html
#[...]
function CSI () {
    # CONTROL SEQUENCE INTRODUCER

    echo -n "^[["
}
#[...]
function SGR () {
    # SELECT GRAPHIC RENDITION

    echo -n "^[[$(semicolon='';res='';for arg in $@;do res=${res}${semicolon}${arg};semicolon=';';done;echo -n ${res})m"
}
#[...]

# Legacy variable. Please use the above functions.

export NORMAL="$(SGR 0)"
export BOLD="$(SGR 1)"
export UNDERLINE="$(SGR 4)"
export BLINK="$(SGR 5)"