all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* tabs with cperl-mode
@ 2005-06-08 11:18 Martin Barth
From: Martin Barth @ 2005-06-08 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi everyone,

I need to just use tabs for indentiation with emacs and cperl_mode to stick
to our coding style guide.
I've search quite a while but i didnt found anything that could help me.

in http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/emacs.html#Just%20Spaces is
decribed to use only spaces - i need the conserve way.

any suggestions?

thanks
Martin Barth

* Re: tabs with cperl-mode
@ 2005-06-08 13:56 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-06-08 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 08.06.2005 um 13:18 schrieb Martin Barth:

> I need to just use tabs for indentiation with emacs and cperl_mode to
> stick
> to our coding style guide.

C-q TAB ? Would this work? OTOH: couldn't you switch off cperl-mode,
i.e. remove Perl files from auto-mode-alist?

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

For some reason, this fortune reminds everyone of Marvin Zelkowitz.

* Re: tabs with cperl-mode
@ 2005-06-08 14:14   ` Martin Barth
From: Martin Barth @ 2005-06-08 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

> C-q TAB ? Would this work? OTOH: couldn't you switch off cperl-mode,
> i.e. remove Perl files from auto-mode-alist?
well, C-q TAB would be something like a workaround since I am using
cperl-mode because I write perl code *g*.

and I like the cperl-mode indent function with TAB but i need only \t
instead of spaces.

* Re: tabs with cperl-mode
@ 2005-06-08 16:49     ` Matthias Förste
From: Matthias Förste @ 2005-06-08 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Martin Barth" <martin@senfdax.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
>> C-q TAB ? Would this work? OTOH: couldn't you switch off cperl-mode,
>> i.e. remove Perl files from auto-mode-alist?
> well, C-q TAB would be something like a workaround since I am using
> cperl-mode because I write perl code *g*.
>
> and I like the cperl-mode indent function with TAB but i need only \t
> instead of spaces.

Maybe you could replace indentation spaces with tabs in a
write-file-hook ?

* Re: tabs with cperl-mode
       [not found] <mailman.3836.1118229884.25862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-06-08 20:00 ` Ilya Zakharevich
From: Ilya Zakharevich @ 2005-06-08 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Barth
<martin@senfdax.de>], who wrote in article <mailman.3836.1118229884.25862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>:
> hi everyone,
>
> I need to just use tabs for indentiation with emacs and cperl_mode to stick
> to our coding style guide.
> I've search quite a while but i didnt found anything that could help me.
>
> in http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/emacs.html#Just%20Spaces is
> decribed to use only spaces - i need the conserve way.
>
> any suggestions?

Stop asking Emacs to indent with spaces.  The default on Emacs is to
indent with tabs.  CPerl does not indent itself, it just calculates
the amount of indentation, and asks Emacs to make the indentation.

Hope this helps,
Ilya

* Re: tabs with cperl-mode
@ 2005-06-08 20:23   ` Martin Barth
From: Martin Barth @ 2005-06-08 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Stop asking Emacs to indent with spaces.
i never did that. ( well i think so )

> The default on Emacs is to indent with tabs.

even with no emacs config files there are spaces and tabs for indentation.
( if I indent for 8 "spaces" there is a \t instead of the spaces in the
files i saved.

maybe I'll try the save hock thing.. if i figure out how it works..

Thanks so far :)

@ 2005-06-08 21:44 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-06-08 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> hi everyone, I need to just use tabs for indentiation with emacs and
> cperl_mode to stick to our coding style guide.  I've search quite a while
> but i didnt found anything that could help me.

> in http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/emacs.html#Just%20Spaces is
> decribed to use only spaces - i need the conserve way.

By default Emacs places TABs wherever it can when indenting lines.
So all you need to do is to make sure that it can always use TABs.
Since a TAB has a width corresponding to 8 characters, it means that you
should configure your major mode (in this case cperl-mode) to align
everything on multiples of 8.  I.e. start by setting cperl-indent-level
to 8.