all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Word wrap / "soft" line breaks
@ 2006-04-07  8:17 Sven Havemann
From: Sven Havemann @ 2006-04-07  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

I would like to configure the behaviour of Emacs concerning the display
of long lines of text.

What it does:
=============
Long lines (say 800 characters with one newline at the end) fill several
lines in the window, but emacs treats them as one long continuous line:
Words are broken right in the middle and continued on the next line,
which is indicated with a small bent arrow. Navigation is possible only
to the left and right, the up and down keys may skip a dozen lines in
the window. The alternative is using auto-fill, but that inserts many
newlines, and I have to re-format the paragraph whenever I change
something in it.

What I would like it to do:
===========================
A true word wrap mode where long lines fill the width of the window, but
complete words are put on the next line if they do not fit. Up- and
down-keys work as expected, going down one line on the screen, and not
one line of the file.

Any help is appreciated,
thanks in advance,
cheers,
Sven

* Re: Word wrap / "soft" line breaks
@ 2006-04-07  8:52 ` roodwriter
From: roodwriter @ 2006-04-07  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sven Havemann <s.havemann@cgv.tugraz.at> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I would like to configure the behaviour of Emacs concerning the
> display of long lines of text.
>
> What it does:
> =============
> Long lines (say 800 characters with one newline at the end) fill
> several lines in the window, but emacs treats them as one long
> continuous line: Words are broken right in the middle and continued on
> the next line, which is indicated with a small bent arrow. Navigation
> is possible only to the left and right, the up and down keys may skip
> a dozen lines in the window. The alternative is using auto-fill, but
> that inserts many newlines, and I have to re-format the paragraph
> whenever I change something in it.
>
> What I would like it to do:
> ===========================
> A true word wrap mode where long lines fill the width of the window,
> but complete words are put on the next line if they do not fit. Up-
> and down-keys work as expected, going down one line on the screen, and
> not one line of the file.
>

> Any help is appreciated,
> thanks in advance,
> cheers,
> Sven

That's long been a problem with Emacs, but not anymore. Get the add-on
longlines.el. That'll give you exactly what you're looking for.

I'm a full-time writer and I use it every day. It's much superior to
all the other work-arounds.

--Rod
______________________
Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical
Consumers" and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." To reply by e-mail
take the second "o" out of the e-mail address.

* Re: Word wrap / "soft" line breaks
@ 2006-04-07  9:24 ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2006-04-07  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sven Havemann <s.havemann@cgv.tugraz.at> writes:

> What I would like it to do:
> ===========================
> A true word wrap mode where long lines fill the width of the window,
> but complete words are put on the next line if they do not fit. Up-
> and down-keys work as expected, going down one line on the screen, and
> not one line of the file.

This is a common request. I don't have any serious problems with it
that I cannot handle in various ways. You might want to take a look at

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/LongLines

or

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/RefillMode

And there is a "category" page for filling:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CategoryFilling

Hopefilly you will find something there.

* Re: Word wrap / "soft" line breaks
@ 2006-04-07 12:49   ` Sven Havemann
From: Sven Havemann @ 2006-04-07 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Mathias,
Dear Rod,

Thanks a lot, longlines.el is a great solution!

Sven