Stefan Monnier writes: >> Since I started Elisp programming, I've always wondered why there is >> an opposition between the following lines of the manual: > >> -- Macro: defcustom option standard doc [keyword value]... >> [...]There is no need to start [the docstring] with a `*' > >> [and] >> (this is 3011 matches of bad-style according to the doc) > >> Is there any reason ? > > History. The * used to be necessary for M-x set-variable to be usable. > Now the * in defcustoms is just a relic and should slowly disappear. Why slowly? :-) Don't you think it can be disturbing for new users to see that star, and after a little search on the (info "(emacs)") to read: (it is an obsolete indicator that may eventually disappear.) And, reading that part of the manual, there is: The line that says you can customize the variable indicates that this variable is a user option. So the only documentation for `user options' is that some of them are customizable variable. Don't we want to talk about (defvar)s with a docstring starting by "*"? Won't the user be surprised to see that the completion list for M-x set-variable and M-x customize-variable aren't the same? Apart from that, why don't we propose in C-h v to modify user variables ((defvar)s with "*")? I propose the following change, if the idea is ok.