all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs needs to have a code folding feature
@ 2007-11-28  1:42 The Directory
From: The Directory @ 2007-11-28  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

Hi:

Emacs needs to have a code-folding feature.

Also, Emacs needs to have a parenthesis/bracket/curly-brace highlighting to highlight a PAIR of them when the
cursor is on or next to one of them.

Emacs needs to have a mode-selection pull-down menu in its GUI.

Emacs needs to have a pull-down menu for compiler selection, like in Vim.

Thanks,
plz reply,
-q10

=
Polishers - Walter Tool Co., Inc
Walter Tool Company offers Fein power tools including Multi Master, orbital sanders, rotary sanders, half-sheet sanders, dust free vacuums, polishers, routers and angle grinders.
http://a8-asy.a8ww.net/a8-ads/adftrclick?redirectid=67ddd4d35e7dbd5fabbc59274f259031

--
Powered By Outblaze

From: The Directory @ 2007-11-28  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

Hi:

Emacs needs to have a code-folding feature.

Also, Emacs needs to have a parenthesis/bracket/curly-brace highlighting to highlight a PAIR of them when the
cursor is on or next to one of them.

Emacs needs to have a mode-selection pull-down menu in its GUI.

Emacs needs to have a pull-down menu for compiler selection, like in Vim.

Thanks,
plz reply,
-q10

=
Polishers - Walter Tool Co., Inc
Walter Tool Company offers Fein power tools including Multi Master, orbital sanders, rotary sanders, half-sheet sanders, dust free vacuums, polishers, routers and angle grinders.
http://a8-asy.a8ww.net/a8-ads/adftrclick?redirectid=67ddd4d35e7dbd5fabbc59274f259031

--
Powered By Outblaze

* Re: emacs needs to have a code folding feature
@ 2007-11-28 14:08 ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2007-11-28 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

On 28 Nov 2007, at 01:42, The Directory wrote:

> Emacs needs to have a code-folding feature.

outline-minor-mode

> Also, Emacs needs to have a parenthesis/bracket/curly-brace
> highlighting to highlight a PAIR of them when the
> cursor is on or next to one of them.

exists, too, check the menu.

> Emacs needs to have a mode-selection pull-down menu in its GUI.

I've written that for Aquamacs. It displays "New Buffer" and "Change
Buffer Mode" (what this means is: change major mode) submenus in
"File", with the most recent used major modes at the top, and a fixed
but configurable list of major modes at the bottom.

If you'd like to take the code and produce a patch, we can submit it
so Emacs gets it, too.

> -q10

And q10 needs to have a real name and a proper e-mail server. That's
not even a good nick.

* Re: emacs needs to have a code folding feature
@ 2007-11-28 14:44   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-11-28 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien, q101100111000; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 28.11.2007 um 16:13 schrieb Bastien:

>> Also, Emacs needs to have a parenthesis/bracket/curly-brace
>> highlighting
>> to highlight a PAIR of them when the cursor is on or next to one of
>> them.
>
> (require 'paren)
> (show-paren-mode 1)

This might be easier to achieve. I have just this customisation:

	 '(blink-matching-paren-on-screen t)
	 '(show-paren-mode t)

A bit further goes mic-paren.el, which highlights the whole region
between matching braces.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Clovis' Consideration of an Atmospheric Anomaly:
         The perversity of nature is nowhere better demonstrated
         than by the fact that, when exposed to the same atmosphere,
         bread becomes hard while crackers become soft.

* Re: emacs needs to have a code folding feature
@ 2007-11-28 15:13 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-11-28 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"The Directory" <q101100111000@graffiti.net> writes:

> Also, Emacs needs to have a parenthesis/bracket/curly-brace highlighting
> to highlight a PAIR of them when the cursor is on or next to one of
> them.

(require 'paren)
(show-paren-mode 1)

HTH,

PS: before starting suggestions with "Emacs needs to have", please check
that the requested feature doesn't exist already.  If you can't find it,
it's safer to assume that 1) it's somewhere but you don't know where or
2) the feature might not be a good idea.

--
Bastien

* Re: emacs needs to have a code folding feature
@ 2007-11-29 15:25 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2007-11-29 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Directory; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

() "The Directory" <q101100111000@graffiti.net>
() Wed, 28 Nov 2007 09:42:44 +0800

   Emacs needs to have a code-folding feature.

or, perhaps we can 'pine some screeds
'bout what It lacks and what It needs.
on a balanced diet of parens It feeds;
beware Its sow/kow/tow/throwing seeds!