all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* textual artifacts
@ 2009-01-14  3:12 Ross A. Laird
From: Ross A. Laird @ 2009-01-14  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am using the emacs-snapshot package, which, according to the About
screen, is this:

GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.3)

In org-mode (and elsewhere, at times) various bits of text can become
invisible but re-appear when I move the cursor over them. Also,
sometimes when I move about in a file, bits of the file from farther
down (or farther up) will remain displayed in the buffer even though
they are much later or earlier in the document than the current
viewpoint. This is all a bit hard to describe, but it's basically a
situation where textual artifacts keep showing up. And it's not limited
to org-mode buffers, either; sometimes, it happens in the minibuffer
(though mostly, the item just becomes invisible).

Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Ross

* Re: textual artifacts
@ 2009-01-14  9:20 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-01-14  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross A. Laird; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 14.01.2009 um 04:12 schrieb Ross A. Laird:

> Ideas?

GTK. Or non-PPC CPU. In Mac OS X 10.4.11 with a PowerPC CPU and
without GTK use I don't see this.

--
Greetings

   Pete

By filing this bug report you have challenged the honor of my family.
Prepare to die!

* Re: textual artifacts
       [not found] <mailman.4814.1231902748.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-01-15  6:55 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2009-01-15  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

ross@rosslaird.info (Ross A. Laird) writes:

> I am using the emacs-snapshot package, which, according to the About
> screen, is this:
>
> GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.3)
>
> In org-mode (and elsewhere, at times) various bits of text can become
> invisible but re-appear when I move the cursor over them. Also,
> sometimes when I move about in a file, bits of the file from farther
> down (or farther up) will remain displayed in the buffer even though
> they are much later or earlier in the document than the current
> viewpoint. This is all a bit hard to describe, but it's basically a
> situation where textual artifacts keep showing up. And it's not limited
> to org-mode buffers, either; sometimes, it happens in the minibuffer
> (though mostly, the item just becomes invisible).
>
> Ideas?

You don't give any idnication of how old that snapshot is. Som eof the
emacs-snapshot packages I've seen are very old - in fact, I saw a ubuntu
one today that had a date in 2007!!!

At various times, I've seen similar things to what you appear to be
describing. In my case, it has been fixed with re-fontifying the buffer
using

M-x font-lock-fontify-buffer

What you are observing are probably intermidiate bugs in the
code. Remember, emacs-snapshot is a snapshot of the CVS development tree
and you can expect to encounter things like this.

Use M-x emacs-version and find out when the package you are using was
created. If its older than a few weeks, find a newer version or build
from sources. Its likely the problem has been fixed in later versions
(though its just as likely it could come back - thats the downside of
using development code).

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: textual artifacts
@ 2009-01-15 17:59   ` Ross A. Laird
From: Ross A. Laird @ 2009-01-15 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:

> You don't give any idnication of how old that snapshot is. Some of the
> emacs-snapshot packages I've seen are very old - in fact, I saw a ubuntu
> one today that had a date in 2007!!!

Yes, I was using an older ubuntu package, which I have since upgraded to
a newer version from December 08. And presto, the issue seems to have
gone away. But as you say, this may crop up again, so I will try:

> M-x font-lock-fontify-buffer

> What you are observing are probably intermidiate bugs in the
> code.

Also it may be compiz. There seem to be some related issues there.

Thanks for the help.

--
Ross A. Laird, PhD
www.rosslaird.info