all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* supercite divergence?
@ 2009-03-09  2:28 skip
From: skip @ 2009-03-09  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, xemacs-beta, macosx-emacs

After a long time using XEmacs, I decided to give Aquamacs Emacs a try a
couple months ago hoping for better integration with the Mac user interface.
It's been rough on occasion.

Right now I'm trying to understand how supercite is different between the
two versions of Emacs.  It's not clear if anyone supports it anymore or if
any attempts have been made to keep the GNU Emacs and XEmacs versions in
sync.  Given what I've seen since switching, I suspect not.  On both
versions of Emacs sc-version reports that it is version 3.1, but the GNU
Emacs and XEmacs versions have different APIs (The Aquamacs/GNU Emacs
version, though it uses (interactive) fails when used that way).  Also, the
version in Aquamacs Emacs (I assume in GNU Emacs 22.x as well) seems to
never be able to determine a reasonable attribution and always prompts with
"Anon".  It doesn't display its attribution prompt in the minibuffer without
refreshing the screen.  (I suspect this might be an Aquamacs Emacs problem,
but I can't tell since I don't run GNU Emacs proper.)  I never had this sort
of problem with the XEmacs version of supercite.

Is there someone in either Emacs camp tasked with supercite maintenance?
Which version changed but failed to modify its version number?  Comparing
the two versions of supercite.el it appears there are some functional
differences between the two versions, but I'm in no way capable of deciding
which differences are significant.  Is there anyone independently
maintaining supercite or do I just have to give up on it with versions of
GNU Emacs?

--
Skip Montanaro - skip@pobox.com - http://www.smontanaro.net/

* supercite divergence?
@ 2009-03-10 13:55 ` Stephen J. Turnbull
From: Stephen J. Turnbull @ 2009-03-10 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: skip; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, macosx-emacs, xemacs-beta

skip@pobox.com writes:

 > Is there someone in either Emacs camp tasked with supercite maintenance?

Barry Warsaw was the last maintainer.  He explicitly resigned around
January 12, 2001, hoping that somebody would pick up the task, but
nobody has AFAIK.

In XEmacs the XEmacs Development Team will respond to bug reports
referring to an XEmacs package version, but there is no active
maintainer.  Divergence in packages is not a very high priority, but
feel free to make an issue in the tracker -- Emacs compatibility is
desirable, although not terribly high priority if ours is working and
theirs isn't.<wink>

I would assume somebody in GNU would respond to bug reports for Emacs,
on more or less the same basis, but AFAIK they have no maintainer for
supercite, either.

 > Which version changed but failed to modify its version number?

Both, probably.  XEmacs doesn't change author version numbers for
XEmacs changes in packages, it changes the package version.  AFAIK
there is no policy for author version numbers in GNU Emacs; some
people do keep them up, but AIUI the maintainers in general prefer to
refer to the Emacs version number rather than maintain separate
versions for individual packages.

Here are XEmacs changes that might be related:

2005-10-29  Steve Youngs  <steve@sxemacs.org>

	* supercite.el (sc-extract-address-components): New.
	(sc-attribs-extract-namestring): Use it.
	From: Nelson Ferreira <nelson.ferreira@ieee.org>

2001-08-06  Adrian Aichner  <adrian@xemacs.org>

	* supercite.el (sc-attribs-extract-namestring): Provide error
	message when neither full-name nor canonical-address can be
	extracted from argument.

2001-01-15  James LewisMoss  <jimdres@mindspring.com>

	* supercite.el (sc-attribs-extract-namestring): Replace with functions
	from mail-extr.

2000-08-04  Didier Verna  <didier@xemacs.org>

	* supercite.el: changed maintainer to us.
	(sc-scan-info-alist): back out the change below (1999-03-18
	by Raymond Toy) which was wrong.
	(sc-attrib-selection-list): reworked the custom	type of this
	variable instead.

1999-12-02  Andreas Jaeger  <aj@suse.de>

	* supercite.el (sc-attribs-%@-addresses): Synch with official
	version. Patch by Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@gshapiro.net>.

1999-03-18  Raymond Toy  <toy@rtp.ericsson.se>

	* supercite.el: The wrong thing was returned when the match was a
	list.

1998-05-07  Raymond Toy  <toy@rtp.ericsson.se>

	* supercite.el: Make defcustom for sc-attrib-selection-list match
	the comments.  INFOKEY is a string.  ATTRIBUTION is a string or
	list.

1998-02-11  SL Baur  <steve@altair.xemacs.org>

	Synch with InfoDock 3.6.2.
	* supercite.el (sc-rewrite-address-function): New variable.
	(sc-rewrite-region-function): New variable.
	(sc-mail-process-headers): Use it.
	(sc-get-address): Use it.
	(sc-attribs-%@-addresses): X.400 support.

* Re: supercite divergence?
@ 2009-03-15  5:08   ` SL Baur
From: SL Baur @ 2009-03-15  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen J. Turnbull; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, skip, macosx-emacs, xemacs-beta

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 6:55 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@xemacs.org> wrote:
> skip@pobox.com writes:

>  > Which version changed but failed to modify its version number?
>
> Both, probably.
> Here are XEmacs changes that might be related:
> 1998-02-11  SL Baur  <steve@altair.xemacs.org>
>
>        Synch with InfoDock 3.6.2.
>        * supercite.el (sc-rewrite-address-function): New variable.
>        (sc-rewrite-region-function): New variable.
>        (sc-mail-process-headers): Use it.
>        (sc-get-address): Use it.
>        (sc-attribs-%@-addresses): X.400 support.

Ooh a skeleton from the past.  This was most likely
an interface change, Bob was really careless about
that, but I would have pushed it to Barry and he was
active in the XEmacs community in those days.

-sb

* Re: supercite divergence?
       [not found] <mailman.2736.1236565705.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-03-15 18:58 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2009-03-15 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

skip@pobox.com wrote:

> Is there someone in either Emacs camp tasked with supercite maintenance?

Check the file header.

For GNU Emacs (I cannot speak for Aquamacs), report specific problems
with M-x report-emacs-bug and they will be attended to. (I like to think
this would be true regardless of whether or not there was a specific
maintainer.)