all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* TRAMP corrupting files
@ 2009-05-08  5:44 Will Willis
From: Will Willis @ 2009-05-08  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm using Tramp from my Mac to edit remote files. Twice in the last
few days I've experienced Tramp corrupting my files.

The first corruption happened mid way through a PHP file, looking like this:

 <option value="C"<?=$uresult['store_cluster']=="C"?"
selected":""?>>Cluster C</option>
			  <opv˷⌀ “䛆需戀܀㜀䜀阀

I think the characters might have been encoded above. What I see in
emacs is this

 <option value="C"<?=$uresult['store_cluster']=="C"?"
selected":""?>>Cluster C</option>
			  <opv\367^B#\340\240\220\223\306...

This corruption goes on for 35,202 characters (all on one line) then
the file ends.

The second time I had a file get corrupted, interestingly also in a
PHP file inside of a <select> option group, There were not funky
characters, just a few dozen lines of missing from my file.

It's really starting to scare me as I'm not sure I can trust this
method of remote file editing... My hosting company was able to assist
me once in recovering a backup... I'd have for this to happen again..

Is TRAMP known to do this sort of thing?

Are there Emacs alternatives to remote file editing (w/o corruption)?

Thanks.

Carbon Emacs  "22.2.1"
Tramp "2.0.57"

* Re: TRAMP corrupting files
@ 2009-05-18 22:35 ` Ian Eure
From: Ian Eure @ 2009-05-18 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Will Willis; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On May 7, 2009, at 10:44 PM, Will Willis wrote:

> I'm using Tramp from my Mac to edit remote files. Twice in the last
> few days I've experienced Tramp corrupting my files.
>
> The first corruption happened mid way through a PHP file, looking
> like this:

> <option value="C"<?=$uresult['store_cluster']=="C"?"
> selected":""?>>Cluster C</option>
> 			  <opv˷⌀ “䛆需戀܀㜀䜀阀
>
> I think the characters might have been encoded above. What I see in
> emacs is this

> <option value="C"<?=$uresult['store_cluster']=="C"?"
> selected":""?>>Cluster C</option>
> 			  <opv\367^B#\340\240\220\223\306...
>
> This corruption goes on for 35,202 characters (all on one line) then
> the file ends.
>

> The second time I had a file get corrupted, interestingly also in a
> PHP file inside of a <select> option group, There were not funky
> characters, just a few dozen lines of missing from my file.
>
> It's really starting to scare me as I'm not sure I can trust this
> method of remote file editing... My hosting company was able to assist
> me once in recovering a backup... I'd have for this to happen again..
>
> Is TRAMP known to do this sort of thing?

For what it's worth, I live and breathe Tramp. The vast majority of my
editing happens remotely via tramp, and I have _never_ experienced
anything like what you have. Which is not to say it can never happen,
but I don't think it should in the normal course of events.

I'm currently using CVS snapshots of Carbon Emacs 23 on two Macs.
Before that, I was using Aquamacs, and XEmacs 20/21 on Debian before
that. The remote hosts are a mix of Lenny and Etch Debian boxes. I've
used the rsync and ssh Tramp methods.

  - Ian

* Re: TRAMP corrupting files
@ 2009-05-19  1:40   ` Will Willis
From: Will Willis @ 2009-05-19  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 5:35 PM, Ian Eure <ian@digg.com> wrote:
> On May 7, 2009, at 10:44 PM, Will Willis wrote:
>
>> I'm using Tramp from my Mac to edit remote files. Twice in the last
>> few days I've experienced Tramp corrupting my files.
>>
>> The first corruption happened mid way through a PHP file, looking like
>> this:

>> <option value="C"<?=$uresult['store_cluster']=="C"?"
>> selected":""?>>Cluster C</option>
>>                          <opv˷⌀   “䛆需戀܀㜀䜀阀
>>
>> I think the characters might have been encoded above. What I see in
>> emacs is this

>> <option value="C"<?=$uresult['store_cluster']=="C"?"
>> selected":""?>>Cluster C</option>
>>                          <opv\367^B#\340\240\220\223\306...
>>
>> This corruption goes on for 35,202 characters (all on one line) then
>> the file ends.
>>

>> The second time I had a file get corrupted, interestingly also in a
>> PHP file inside of a <select> option group, There were not funky
>> characters, just a few dozen lines of missing from my file.
>>
>> It's really starting to scare me as I'm not sure I can trust this
>> method of remote file editing... My hosting company was able to assist
>> me once in recovering a backup... I'd have for this to happen again..
>>
>> Is TRAMP known to do this sort of thing?
>>
> For what it's worth, I live and breathe Tramp. The vast majority of my
> editing happens remotely via tramp, and I have _never_ experienced anything
> like what you have. Which is not to say it can never happen, but I don't
> think it should in the normal course of events.
>
> I'm currently using CVS snapshots of Carbon Emacs 23 on two Macs. Before
> that, I was using Aquamacs, and XEmacs 20/21 on Debian before that. The
> remote hosts are a mix of Lenny and Etch Debian boxes. I've used the rsync
> and ssh Tramp methods.
>
>  - Ian

I'm going to start using rsync to see if that helps.. I wish I were
making this up. I've had files corrupt on me as many as 3 times in one
night. I'd love to upgrade to Carbon Emacs 23, but I'm still on OS X
10.4, holding out for snow leopard.

-Will

* Re: TRAMP corrupting files (it's OS X's fault)
@ 2009-05-19  5:17     ` Daniel Colascione
From: Daniel Colascione @ 2009-05-19  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Will Willis; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On May 18, 2009, at 9:40 PM, Will Willis wrote:
> I'm going to start using rsync to see if that helps.. I wish I were
> making this up. I've had files corrupt on me as many as 3 times in one

I ran into the same problem. It's actually OS X's fault: OS X (at
least 10.5) doesn't give Emacs any locale environment variables. Emacs
guesses it's running under 8859-1, which has disastrous consequences
for tramp. (If you want to test it, run locale under eshell. In the
terminal, you see the expected locale output because Terminal.app
*itself* sets up the correct environment before running your shell.)

One solution is to just give Emacs the right environment variables.
I've outlined how to do that here:

http://qtmstr.livejournal.com/19155.html

(Modify the specific environment variable values according to taste.)

Another approach is to add this to your Emacs initialization:

(when (eq system-type 'darwin)
     (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8))

These fixed the corruption issue *I* was having. YMMV.

> I'd love to upgrade to Carbon Emacs 23, but I'm still on OS X
> 10.4, holding out for snow leopard.

There is no CarbonEmacs 23. The OS X support will be provided via a
new Cocoa port which, to put it kindly, is broken. You might want to
stick with CarbonEmacs for now.

* Re: TRAMP corrupting files (it's OS X's fault)
@ 2009-05-19 21:39       ` Will Willis
From: Will Willis @ 2009-05-19 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Colascione, help-gnu-emacs

Thank you so much for the suggestion!!

-Will

@ 2009-05-26 19:57       ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2009-05-26 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Colascione; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Daniel Colascione <danc@merrillpress.com> writes:

> On May 18, 2009, at 9:40 PM, Will Willis wrote:
>> I'm going to start using rsync to see if that helps.. I wish I were
>> making this up. I've had files corrupt on me as many as 3 times in one
>
> I ran into the same problem. It's actually OS X's fault: OS X (at
> least 10.5) doesn't give Emacs any locale environment variables. Emacs
> guesses it's running under 8859-1, which has disastrous consequences
> for tramp. (If you want to test it, run locale under eshell. In the
> terminal, you see the expected locale output because Terminal.app
> *itself* sets up the correct environment before running your shell.)

Tramp cannot solve the problem, as said. But it might be worth to know,
that Tramp supports the `file-precious-flag' variable. If it is set to
`t', Tramp signals an error, when the remote file is corrupted during
copying.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: TRAMP corrupting files (it's OS X's fault)
@ 2009-05-26 21:17         ` Daniel Colascione
From: Daniel Colascione @ 2009-05-26 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday 26 May 2009, Michael Albinus wrote:
> Tramp cannot solve the problem, as said. But it might be worth to know,
> that Tramp supports the `file-precious-flag' variable. If it is set to
> `t', Tramp signals an error, when the remote file is corrupted during
> copying.

Why does file-precious-flag even exist? Isn't the behavior you get when it's t the behavior you *always* want when the combination of the various backup-by-* variables allows it?

* Re: TRAMP corrupting files (it's OS X's fault)
@ 2009-05-27  3:44           ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2009-05-27  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Colascione; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Daniel Colascione <danc@merrillpress.com> writes:

> On Tuesday 26 May 2009, Michael Albinus wrote:
>> Tramp cannot solve the problem, as said. But it might be worth to know,
>> that Tramp supports the `file-precious-flag' variable. If it is set to
>> `t', Tramp signals an error, when the remote file is corrupted during
>> copying.
>
> Why does file-precious-flag even exist? Isn't the behavior you get
> when it's t the behavior you *always* want when the combination of the
> various backup-by-* variables allows it?

Yes, you can have the same effect with backup-by-* variables. If you
read the code of backup-buffer, you see

      (if (or file-precious-flag
	      backup-by-copying
	      (and backup-by-copying-when-linked
		   (> (file-nlinks real-file-name) 1))
	      (and (or backup-by-copying-when-mismatch
		       (integerp backup-by-copying-when-privileged-mismatch))

I believe, there are historical reasons for the existence of that
variable. Tramp just has occupied the variable because it exists,
avoiding introduction of another customer option.

Best regards, Michael.