all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#7110: 24.0.50; appt-check FIXME does -- please install
@ 2010-09-26 16:33 Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2010-09-26 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 7110

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 04:06:07 -0400 Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> wrote in bug#6999:

> Leo wrote:
>
>> The only remaining issue is the main diary file buffer pops up when
>> saving in included files.
>
> I know; see the FIXME comment in appt-check.

[which is:
    ;; FIXME why not using diary-list-entries with
    ;; non-nil LIST-ONLY?
]

> It is only displayed if it was being visited beforehand.
> It is because (diary) turns on "selective" display and we need to turn
> it off again. This whole thing is a mess.

I patched my appt-check as per the FIXME and AFAICT it DTRT, at least
when using the default fancy display: the diary is not displayed on
saving an included file, yet `C-u M-x appt-check' does show new
appointments from the included file.  With simple display, the new
appointments are not displayed, but neither are they displayed with
(diary) as in the current code.  So there seems to (still) be a problem
for appt-check with simply display regardless of the FIXME.  But since
that works (AFAICT) with fancy display, I strongly favor committing the
fix.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.6)
 of 2010-09-23 on escher
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10605000
configured using `configure  '--with-imagemagick' '--without-toolkit-scroll-bars''

* bug#7110: 24.0.50; appt-check FIXME does -- please install
@ 2010-09-27 17:51 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-09-27 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: 7110

Stephen Berman wrote:

>>> The only remaining issue is the main diary file buffer pops up when
>>> saving in included files.
>>
>> I know; see the FIXME comment in appt-check.
>
> [which is:
>     ;; FIXME why not using diary-list-entries with
>     ;; non-nil LIST-ONLY?
> ]

Actually I fixed that issue, which is why that bug was closed.

The comment you quote does not relate to any bugs as far as I am
aware, it is just cosmetic.

> I patched my appt-check as per the FIXME and AFAICT it DTRT, at least
> when using the default fancy display: the diary is not displayed on
> saving an included file, yet `C-u M-x appt-check' does show new
> appointments from the included file.

But this is already fixed (in r100043), which is why I closed that bug.

> With simple display, the new appointments are not displayed, but
> neither are they displayed with (diary) as in the current code.

Include files do not work with simply diary display.

* bug#7110: 24.0.50; appt-check FIXME does -- please install
@ 2010-09-27 21:59   ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2010-09-27 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: 7110

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 13:51:58 -0400 Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> wrote:

>>> I know; see the FIXME comment in appt-check.
>>
>> [which is:
>>     ;; FIXME why not using diary-list-entries with
>>     ;; non-nil LIST-ONLY?
>> ]
>
> Actually I fixed that issue, which is why that bug was closed.

I thought that bug was mainly about appt-check not taking included
files into account, the diary buffer popping up being "[t]he only
remaining issue".

> The comment you quote does not relate to any bugs as far as I am
> aware, it is just cosmetic.

By cosmetic do you mean the diary buffer popping up?  If so, I do regard
that as a bug, hence reported it as such, and since calling
diary-list-entries instead of diary in appt-check does (also) fix this
problem, I just wanted to encourage you to install it -- not having
realized that you had provided a different fix in the Emacs 23 branch.
(If the cosmetic effect of diary-list-entries is not the diary buffer
popping up, then what is it?  I don't see any other difference.)

>> I patched my appt-check as per the FIXME and AFAICT it DTRT, at least
>> when using the default fancy display: the diary is not displayed on
>> saving an included file, yet `C-u M-x appt-check' does show new
>> appointments from the included file.
>
> But this is already fixed (in r100043), which is why I closed that bug.

Mea culpa for not updating before filing the report (I actually had
updated from the trunk the same day your fix was merged -- but
earlier).  I don't have time to update now and confirm it (though I
believe you that it works); I should be able to tomorrow and then I'll
close this bug, if you haven't already done so.

>> With simple display, the new appointments are not displayed, but
>> neither are they displayed with (diary) as in the current code.
>
> Include files do not work with simply diary display.

Oh, right, I forgot (I've been using fancy display for a long time).

Steve Berman

* bug#7110: 24.0.50; appt-check FIXME does -- please install
@ 2010-09-28  1:47     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-09-28  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: 7110

Stephen Berman wrote:

> By cosmetic do you mean the diary buffer popping up?

No, by "cosmetic" I was trying to find a way to say the current code
is inelegant/inefficient. It makes things invisible, then makes them
visible again, when it could just not bother. The end result in terms
of behaviour is the same, AFAICS. So it's not a bug, just crufty code.

> If so, I do regard that as a bug

It should be fixed, try it out when you get a chance.

* bug#7110: 24.0.50; appt-check FIXME does -- please install
@ 2010-09-28  3:03       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-09-28  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Berman; +Cc: 7110

Bah, installed it anyway.

* bug#7110: 24.0.50; appt-check FIXME does -- please install
@ 2010-09-28  8:41         ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2010-09-28  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 7110-done

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 23:03:39 -0400 Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> wrote: