all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Peculiar behavior of ssh -n in eshell mode
@ 2010-10-19  2:26 elgen
From: elgen @ 2010-10-19  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear all,

I am reporting the following peculiar behavior. Have one file called

run.sh
======================================
#!/bin/bash
HOST_NAME=windu

ssh -n windu "bash ./windu_mr_mistf.sh" &
=====================================

Have another file on the remote machine. It is called

windu_mr_mistf.sh
================================
echo "show me the money" > ~/output.txt
================================

If I run the command "./run.sh" inside a terminal on the local host, the
output.txt is generated. This is expected.

If I run the command inside the eshell mode inside emacs, I would not
receive the output.txt. Have any experienced this behavior inside emacs?

I am using GNU Emacs 23.1.1 on Ubuntu v10.0.4.

Thank you for sharing any thought.

elgen

* Re: Peculiar behavior of ssh -n in eshell mode
@ 2010-10-19  6:25 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2010-10-19  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

elgen <sket16@no.spam.hotmail.com> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> I am reporting the following peculiar behavior. Have one file called
>
> run.sh
> ======================================
> #!/bin/bash
> HOST_NAME=windu
>
> ssh -n windu "bash ./windu_mr_mistf.sh" &
> =====================================
>

> Have another file on the remote machine. It is called
>
> windu_mr_mistf.sh
> ================================
> echo "show me the money" > ~/output.txt
> ================================
>

> If I run the command "./run.sh" inside a terminal on the local host, the
> output.txt is generated. This is expected.
>
> If I run the command inside the eshell mode inside emacs, I would not receive
> the output.txt. Have any experienced this behavior inside emacs?
>
> I am using GNU Emacs 23.1.1 on Ubuntu v10.0.4.
>
> Thank you for sharing any thought.

Unless it has changed, eshell does not play well with redirection of
streams. This is one reason I don't use eshell except for simple
interactive use. I found this out when trying to run a script that did
redirection inside it and was geting inconsistent results when run
inside eshell.

From memory, this is documented in the eshell manual.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: Peculiar behavior of ssh -n in eshell mode
@ 2010-10-20 14:04   ` elgen
From: elgen @ 2010-10-20 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 10-10-19 02:25 AM, Tim X wrote:
> elgen<sket16@no.spam.hotmail.com>  writes:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I am reporting the following peculiar behavior. Have one file called
>>
>> run.sh
>> ======================================
>> #!/bin/bash
>> HOST_NAME=windu
>>
>> ssh -n windu "bash ./windu_mr_mistf.sh"&
>> =====================================
>>

>> Have another file on the remote machine. It is called
>>
>> windu_mr_mistf.sh
>> ================================
>> echo "show me the money">  ~/output.txt
>> ================================
>>

>> If I run the command "./run.sh" inside a terminal on the local host, the
>> output.txt is generated. This is expected.
>>
>> If I run the command inside the eshell mode inside emacs, I would not receive
>> the output.txt. Have any experienced this behavior inside emacs?
>>
>> I am using GNU Emacs 23.1.1 on Ubuntu v10.0.4.
>>
>> Thank you for sharing any thought.
>>

> Unless it has changed, eshell does not play well with redirection of
> streams. This is one reason I don't use eshell except for simple
> interactive use. I found this out when trying to run a script that did
> redirection inside it and was geting inconsistent results when run
> inside eshell.
>
>  From memory, this is documented in the eshell manual.
>
> Tim

Thank you for the pointer. The idea of editting command inside eshell is
pretty neat. From time to time, it surprises me that comand perfect for
a terminal cannot run, e.g.

for ((i=0; i<4; i++)) do echo $i done

elgen