all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs-20101130 windows binaries
@ 2010-11-30 20:11 Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2010-11-30 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: help-emacs-windows

The trunk was built and runs successfully on Windows.  Binaries have
been published in

http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/

* Re: emacs-20101130 windows binaries
@ 2010-12-01 23:03 ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2010-12-01 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: help-emacs-windows

Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> writes:

> The trunk was built and runs successfully on Windows.  Binaries have
> been published in
>
> http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/

A question of size.

I'm running a version of emacs that I believe was a windows binary.
Its version info says:

   GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600) of
             2010-05-11 on SHAN-PC

Today I grabbed the version mentioned in Sean S.  Latest notice.
emacs-20101130-bin-i386.zip

Which says all the same stuff except for the machine built on:
   GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600) of
             2010-11-30 on 3249CTO

But I notice a rather massive difference in size between the older and
current versions:

Older:
ls -sh  ~/emacs/bin/emacs.exe

  9.1M emacs/bin/emacs.exe

Newer:

ls -sh  ~/unpack/emacs-24.0.50/bin/emacs.exe
35M /cygdrive/c/Users/harry/unpack/emacs-24.0.50/bin/emacs.exe

The more recent binary is 26 MB larger.  Thats nearly 300 percent
bigger.

Is this normal or something I've caused some how?

* Re: emacs-20101130 windows binaries
@ 2010-12-02  4:02   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-12-02  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: help-emacs-windows, emacs-devel

> From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
> Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 17:03:29 -0600
> Cc: help-emacs-windows@gnu.org
>
> Older:
> ls -sh  ~/emacs/bin/emacs.exe
>
>   9.1M emacs/bin/emacs.exe
>

> Newer:
>
> ls -sh  ~/unpack/emacs-24.0.50/bin/emacs.exe
> 35M /cygdrive/c/Users/harry/unpack/emacs-24.0.50/bin/emacs.exe
>
> The more recent binary is 26 MB larger.  Thats nearly 300 percent
> bigger.
>
> Is this normal or something I've caused some how?

The 9MB binary is stripped of all debugging info.  The 35MB binary
includes the debugging info, so that users could provide meaningful
information when Emacs crashes or otherwise misbehaves.

The size is larger only on the disk, the size of the running process
is unaffected.

* Re: emacs-20101130 windows binaries
@ 2010-12-02 16:41     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2010-12-02 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: help-emacs-windows

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> The more recent binary is 26 MB larger.  Thats nearly 300 percent
>> bigger.
>>
>> Is this normal or something I've caused some how?
>
> The 9MB binary is stripped of all debugging info.  The 35MB binary
> includes the debugging info, so that users could provide meaningful
> information when Emacs crashes or otherwise misbehaves.
>
> The size is larger only on the disk, the size of the running process
> is unaffected.

Ahh I see.  Good info there... thanks