all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* What is the state of the CEDET integration with Emacs now?
@ 2011-01-12 12:42 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2011-01-12 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-Devel devel

Is Emacs currently using the latest CEDET sources in the trunk? Can
they be used with the trunk?

Does anyone know what the state for ECB is? Does the development
version work with the trunk? What version of CEDET does it work with?

* Re: What is the state of the CEDET integration with Emacs now?
@ 2011-01-12 15:14 ` Lluís
From: Lluís @ 2011-01-12 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

Lennart Borgman writes:

> Is Emacs currently using the latest CEDET sources in the trunk?

Not the latest CEDET version, but close to it.

> Can they be used with the trunk?

Not easily, as Emacs contains a heavily modified version, including lots
of renamed packages/files (I'm still very slowly working on bringing
these two together on a single common layout and naming scheme).

> Does anyone know what the state for ECB is?

I think it hasn't seen much development lately, specially since all
Eric's efforts went to CEDET when the merge to Emacs started.

Additionally, I think some of the most obscure features in ECB where
being discussed on this list to offer native support in Emacs itself
(namely, window configuration layouts).

Even more, if I recall, Eric was thinking on revamping parts of ECB once
the CEDET transition is finished.

> Does the development version work with the trunk? What version of
> CEDET does it work with?

It does. If you use 'el-get', here's the entry for ECB:

   (:name ecb                   :type cvs
          :url ":pserver:anonymous@ecb.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/ecb"
          :module "ecb"
          :build ("make CEDET= all" "make autoloads EMACS=\"emacs -L .\"")
          :info "info-help")

Lluis

 Tollbooth

* Re: What is the state of the CEDET integration with Emacs now?
@ 2011-01-12 17:49   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2011-01-12 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lluís; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Lluís <xscript@gmx.net> wrote:

>> Does the development version work with the trunk? What version of
>> CEDET does it work with?
>
> It does. If you use 'el-get', here's the entry for ECB:
>
>   (:name ecb                   :type cvs
>          :url ":pserver:anonymous@ecb.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/ecb"
>          :module "ecb"
>          :build ("make CEDET= all" "make autoloads EMACS=\"emacs -L .\"")
>          :info "info-help")

Thanks for all the clarifications. But what is "el-get"?

* Re: What is the state of the CEDET integration with Emacs now?
@ 2011-01-12 18:11     ` Lluís
From: Lluís @ 2011-01-12 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

Lennart Borgman writes:

> Thanks for all the clarifications. But what is "el-get"?

https://github.com/dimitri/el-get/

apa!

 Tollbooth

* Re: What is the state of the CEDET integration with Emacs now?
@ 2011-01-12 18:15       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2011-01-12 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lluís; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 7:11 PM, Lluís <xscript@gmx.net> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman writes:
>
>> Thanks for all the clarifications. But what is "el-get"?
>
> https://github.com/dimitri/el-get/

How nice! Then I can finally through away my similar attempts for this
in nXhtml. (I do not have time to take care of it so I rather trash
it.)

> apa!

In Swedish that is "monkey" - wonder what it is here ;-)

* Re: What is the state of the CEDET integration with Emacs now?
@ 2011-01-12 19:33         ` Lluís
From: Lluís @ 2011-01-12 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

Lennart Borgman writes:

>> apa!

> In Swedish that is "monkey" - wonder what it is here ;-)

It's a colloquial word in Catalan that would translate into something
similar to "see you".

apa! :)

 Tollbooth

* Re: What is the state of the CEDET integration with Emacs now?
@ 2011-01-12 20:35   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-01-12 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lluís; +Cc: Lennart Borgman, Emacs-Devel devel

>    (:name ecb                   :type cvs
>           :url ":pserver:anonymous@ecb.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/ecb"
>           :module "ecb"
>           :build ("make CEDET= all" "make autoloads EMACS=\"emacs -L .\"")
>           :info "info-help")

We should move towards integrating it in elpa.gnu.org.  If anyone can
help us do that, it would be very welcome.

* Re: What is the state of the CEDET integration with Emacs now?
@ 2011-01-19 20:16     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-01-19 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 15:35:49 -0500 Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>> (:name ecb                   :type cvs
>> :url ":pserver:anonymous@ecb.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/ecb"
>> :module "ecb"
>> :build ("make CEDET= all" "make autoloads EMACS=\"emacs -L .\"")
>> :info "info-help")

SM> We should move towards integrating it in elpa.gnu.org.  If anyone can
SM> help us do that, it would be very welcome.

If there are no copyright issues I will work on it.

Ted

* Re: What is the state of the CEDET integration with Emacs now?
@ 2011-01-19 23:09       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-01-19 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: emacs-devel

>>> (:name ecb                   :type cvs
>>> :url ":pserver:anonymous@ecb.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/ecb"
>>> :module "ecb"
>>> :build ("make CEDET= all" "make autoloads EMACS=\"emacs -L .\"")
>>> :info "info-help")

SM> We should move towards integrating it in elpa.gnu.org.  If anyone can
SM> help us do that, it would be very welcome.

> If there are no copyright issues I will work on it.

I have not checked ECB's copyright status, but IIUC it should be OK, or
almost.  Can someone investigate?

* Re: What is the state of the CEDET integration with Emacs now?
@ 2011-01-20 17:09         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-01-20 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Klaus Berndl

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 18:09:22 -0500 Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

SM> We should move towards integrating it in elpa.gnu.org.  If anyone can
SM> help us do that, it would be very welcome.

>> If there are no copyright issues I will work on it.

SM> I have not checked ECB's copyright status, but IIUC it should be OK, or
SM> almost.  Can someone investigate?

All the source code in the latest ECB snapshot
(http://ecb.sourceforge.net/cvs_snapshots/ecb.tar.gz) says copyright
belongs to the authors and to the FSF, and appears to be under the GPL
v2.  I don't know if that's sufficient.  Also there's no LICENSE or
COPYING file in the snapshot and IIRC those should be included.

The manual talks about the program's license but the manual itself has
no license; I don't know if that needs to be clarified.

CC to Klaus Berndl who maintains things according to the source.

Ted

* Re: What is the state of the CEDET integration with Emacs now?
@ 2011-01-22  2:26           ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2011-01-22  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: Klaus Berndl, emacs-devel

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> SM> We should move towards integrating it in elpa.gnu.org.  If anyone can
> SM> help us do that, it would be very welcome.
>
> SM> I have not checked ECB's copyright status, but IIUC it should be OK, or
> SM> almost.  Can someone investigate?
>
> All the source code in the latest ECB snapshot
> (http://ecb.sourceforge.net/cvs_snapshots/ecb.tar.gz) says copyright
> belongs to the authors and to the FSF, and appears to be under the GPL
> v2.  I don't know if that's sufficient.  Also there's no LICENSE or
> COPYING file in the snapshot and IIRC those should be included.
>
> The manual talks about the program's license but the manual itself has
> no license; I don't know if that needs to be clarified.
>
> CC to Klaus Berndl who maintains things according to the source.

I already asked Klaus Berndl, back in July.  He generously agreed to the
make the assignment.  Last I heard (from November), he was waiting for
the FSF's papers.  I will contact the FSF offices to check on the
holdup.