all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacsclient sharing buffers.
@ 2012-10-10 20:42 ayzdark
From: ayzdark @ 2012-10-10 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

I have been using emacs for years, and I've just tried the emacs server
feature which I honnestly don't like much.
Maybe I don't use it very well, but even if it is really fast, I really
don't want to share buffers between multiple emacs frames.
For example, if I open a new file, then I am able to access all the previous
files I have already opened.
Actually, I don't want to handle ALL files in my current emacs frame,
because even finding specific files I want to work with becomes really
annoying looking at the good filename (C-x <left|right>

For me the best advantage of using emacsclient is to avoid loading my
config, that's it.

Is there a way to use emacsclient the same way I usually use emacs?
But maybe, I need to get used to this way of using emacslient, closing files
with C-x # and handling all opened files in each new frame.
What's your opinion ?

btw, sorry for my bad english.

* Re: emacsclient sharing buffers.
@ 2012-10-11  6:52 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-10-11  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

ayzdark <shaoner@gmail.com> writes:

Hi!

> But maybe, I need to get used to this way of using emacslient, closing
> files with C-x # and handling all opened files in each new frame.
> What's your opinion ?

I like it that way.  I want to access my mail (Gnus), org agenda, and
IRC buffers (rcirc) from any frame I might have.  I guess it's rather
common that experienced emacs users have dozens or even hundreds of open
buffers in emacs.  Then, the essence is to use the right tools for
buffer switching.  Cycling or tabs aren't adequate concepts for many
buffers, but for example partial completion and substring matching in
buffer name completion is.

See (info "(emacs)Completion Styles") for how to customize emacs buffer
and file name completion.

There are also some packages providing alternatives: ido, iswitchb,
lusty-explorer, helm, ...

Bye,
Tassilo