all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Obsoleting Tramp methods
@ 2013-03-01  7:56 Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2013-03-01  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tramp-devel, help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

with the upcoming Tramp 2.2.7, I plan to remove the following Tramp
methods: plink1, ssh1, ssh2, scp1, scp2, scpc, rsyncc.

The *1 and *2 methods are not of real use; the effect can be reached by
proper configuration of ssh or putty (does anybody still use ssh v1?).

The ControlMaster configuration, as indicated by scpc and rsyncc, will
be performed automatically for all ssh-based methods, if possible.

Does anybody see a problem with this?

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Obsoleting Tramp methods
@ 2013-03-01 11:32 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2013-03-01 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tramp-devel; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 08:56:24 +0100 Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> wrote:

MA> with the upcoming Tramp 2.2.7, I plan to remove the following Tramp
MA> methods: plink1, ssh1, ssh2, scp1, scp2, scpc, rsyncc.

MA> The *1 and *2 methods are not of real use; the effect can be reached by
MA> proper configuration of ssh or putty (does anybody still use ssh v1?).

MA> The ControlMaster configuration, as indicated by scpc and rsyncc, will
MA> be performed automatically for all ssh-based methods, if possible.

MA> Does anybody see a problem with this?

I think it's a good thing, as long as the manual tells people what to
do, and the error messages point people to the manual :)

Ted

* Re: Obsoleting Tramp methods
@ 2013-03-01 11:47   ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2013-03-01 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tramp-devel; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

Hi Ted,

> I think it's a good thing, as long as the manual tells people what to
> do, and the error messages point people to the manual :)

There's nothing about the obsolete methods in the manual. Hey, this is
spring-cleaning!

But I have added the following mechanism in Tramp (at least for a
transition period of one or two years):

C-x C-f /ssh2::
  => Method ssh2 is obsolete, use ssh? (y or n)

Try the recent version from the repository :-)

@ 2013-03-04 14:56     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2013-03-04 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: tramp-devel, help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 12:47:46 +0100 Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> wrote:

MA> There's nothing about the obsolete methods in the manual. Hey, this is
MA> spring-cleaning!

Heh heh.  I love it.

MA> But I have added the following mechanism in Tramp (at least for a
MA> transition period of one or two years):

MA> C-x C-f /ssh2::
MA>   => Method ssh2 is obsolete, use ssh? (y or n)

MA> Try the recent version from the repository :-)

Yup.  That looks great.  Thank you!

Ted