all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* tramp from windows
@ 2013-08-27  9:19 rahed
From: rahed @ 2013-08-27  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I reinstalled windows with emacs 24.1.1. When trying to open a file on a
remote machine with a tramp (2.2.6-24.3), the connection gets stuck
after entering a password. I couldn't find the cause so I installed the
latest emacs (24.3.1), did byte-compile-file tramp-sh.el and now I get
this warning:

Warning: Couldn't find a remote shell which groks tilde expansion, using
`/bin/sh'

When connecting to another machine, the warning is:

byte-code: Couldn't find a proper `ls' command

I was able to connect to all machines from previous windows
installation with emacs 24.1.1.

Any clues?

--
Radek

* Re: tramp from windows
@ 2013-08-27  9:29 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2013-08-27  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rahed; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

rahed <raherh@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,

Hi,

> I reinstalled windows with emacs 24.1.1. When trying to open a file on a
> remote machine with a tramp (2.2.6-24.3), the connection gets stuck
> after entering a password. I couldn't find the cause so I installed the
> latest emacs (24.3.1), did byte-compile-file tramp-sh.el and now I get
> this warning:
>
> Warning: Couldn't find a remote shell which groks tilde expansion, using
> `/bin/sh'
>
> When connecting to another machine, the warning is:
>
> byte-code: Couldn't find a proper `ls' command
>
> I was able to connect to all machines from previous windows
> installation with emacs 24.1.1.
>
> Any clues?

Does it also happen if you start "emacs -Q"? That means, no Tramp
artifacts to be used from previous installations.

Does it help to call "M-x tramp-cleanup-all-connections" before trying
to connect somewhere?

If it still does not work, please eval (setq tramp-verbose) before you
run your test. There will be a Tramp debug buffer then.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: tramp from windows
@ 2013-08-27 11:39   ` rahed
From: rahed @ 2013-08-27 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Does it also happen if you start "emacs -Q"? That means, no Tramp
> artifacts to be used from previous installations.

This way it ends up with: Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell
I guess from the Messages buffer that it uses scp.

> Does it help to call "M-x tramp-cleanup-all-connections" before trying
> to connect somewhere?

No, it doesn't.

> If it still does not work, please eval (setq tramp-verbose) before you
> run your test. There will be a Tramp debug buffer then.
>
> Best regards, Michael.

Fortunately I found out that installing gnutls-3.0.9-w32-bin.zip library
to use gnus with emacs remedies all problems with tramp.

--
Radek

* Re: tramp from windows
@ 2013-08-27 12:05     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2013-08-27 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rahed; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

rahed <raherh@gmail.com> writes:

>> Does it also happen if you start "emacs -Q"? That means, no Tramp
>> artifacts to be used from previous installations.
>
> This way it ends up with: Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell
> I guess from the Messages buffer that it uses scp.

Well, Tramp does not cooperate pretty well with scp on Windows. It is
recommened to use plink or pscp from PuTTY.

> Fortunately I found out that installing gnutls-3.0.9-w32-bin.zip library
> to use gnus with emacs remedies all problems with tramp.

So you don't need Tramp anymore, right?

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: tramp from windows
@ 2013-08-27 14:41       ` rahed
From: rahed @ 2013-08-27 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> rahed <raherh@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> Does it also happen if you start "emacs -Q"? That means, no Tramp
>>> artifacts to be used from previous installations.
>>
>> This way it ends up with: Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell
>> I guess from the Messages buffer that it uses scp.
>
> Well, Tramp does not cooperate pretty well with scp on Windows. It is
> recommened to use plink or pscp from PuTTY.
>
>> Fortunately I found out that installing gnutls-3.0.9-w32-bin.zip library
>> to use gnus with emacs remedies all problems with tramp.
>
> So you don't need Tramp anymore, right?

I don't understand the question, I keep using Tramp.

--
Radek

* Re: tramp from windows
@ 2013-08-27 14:47         ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2013-08-27 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rahed; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

rahed <raherh@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Fortunately I found out that installing gnutls-3.0.9-w32-bin.zip library
>>> to use gnus with emacs remedies all problems with tramp.
>>
>> So you don't need Tramp anymore, right?
>
> I don't understand the question, I keep using Tramp.

Well, likely I did misunderstand you. I thought you have used Tramp in
combination with gnus. Forget my remark.

Anyway, if there's no problem left with Tramp for you, that's fine :-)

Best regards, Michael.