all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
  • * Re: Insert for each symbol (upside down A) in an emacs text document
           [not found] <mailman.1954.1400881655.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
           [not found] ` <7zbnuodqy0.fsf@example.com>
    @ 2014-05-24  7:30 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
    From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2014-05-24  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw
      To: help-gnu-emacs

    Angus Comber <anguscomber@gmail.com> writes:

    > I am writing up some mathematical documents and would like to use the for
    > all (upside down A) and there exists symbol (backwards E).
    >
    > Firstly, how do I insert these symbols?

    Just type ∀ and ∃.

    Obviously, for this to work you need to have mapped them to some key on
    your keyboard layout.

    I have them on greek-braceleft and greek-braceright in ~/.xmodmap

    keycode  34 = bracketleft     braceleft     guillemotleft   0x1002200
    keycode  35 = bracketright    braceright    guillemotright  0x1002203

    The trick here is that X11 doesn't define symbols for those characters
    so we need to enter the unicode cdes.

    If you don't do that, you can enter them with C-x 8 RET THERE EXISTS RET
    and C-x 8 RET FOR ALL RET

    > Secondly, can I insert into a text document?  Or does it have to be a
    > unicode document?

    Yes.

    > Thirdly, will the symbols be visible in the document when viewing on -
    > screen??

    As long as you use unicode in the whole processing chain.

    --
    __Pascal Bourguignon__
    http://www.informatimago.com/

  • * Insert for each symbol (upside down A) in an emacs text document
    @ 2014-05-23 21:47 Angus Comber