Hi, [I tried to send this report earlier, though it seems something went wrong. If it did already show up: sorry about the noise]. Recently, I get an error every time I open a new file in my document folder due to `vc-git-conflicted-files'. The function was introduced in revno: 117697 committer: Eric S. Raymond branch nick: trunk timestamp: Wed 2014-08-13 04:05:45 -0400 message: Integrate Rüdiger Sonderfeld's code for detecting conflicted files under git. Background: My document folder is stored in a git annex direct-mode folder (see http://git-annex.branchable.com/). git annex is used for keeping folders in sync across computers, and is build on top of git. In my particular setup (direct mode) "git status" returns nil (or an empty string). However, `vc-git-conflicted-files' expects it to return a non-trivial string. The attach patch addresses this by checking that git status did in fact returned non-nil. Please let me know (preferably with wide reply) if you want me to fix the problem in some other way. I have signed papers to FSF. Thanks, Rasmus In GNU Emacs 24.4.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.12.2) of 2014-08-25 on W530 Repository revision: dmantipov@yandex.ru-20140825070042-1o6sutsne8cexjdb Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11600000 System Description: Arch Linux -- Er du tosset for noge' lårt!